Status
Please reply by conversation.

ccash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Long Island
OK Guys, I need your advice

Before I call, I wanted to ask you all.....

Currently have:

2 - HR24 & 2 - HR23 600 - 4 total.....considering a 5th
HD, DVR & Whole-Home service with Protection Plan

These units are so slow and unreliable I cant take it any more.

I'm a good customer $200+ per month w/auto pay haven't upgraded since i switched over from Dish years 5+ ago.

What are my best options here? What, if anything, is this going to cost me to get up-to-date hardware?

Thanks in advance

CCash

While I understand the HR24's may be a little slower than a newer Genie, I can't believe yours are THAT slow....so first thing, I'd hang onto those.
Since you have 8 tuners now, you obviously do NOT want to go to only a Genie & then replacing those other DVR's w/clients...that WOULD be taking a step backwards. (you already know they will NOT let you have more than 1 Genie on your account...)
Since you are now wanting a 5th receiver, & if you want to do this the most cost effective way, I would first see what they would charge to add a new Genie (most likely $0) then see what they might charge to upgrade those 2 HR23's to HR24's; if you tell them these receivers are having all kinds of problems, the tech may just go ahead & swap them for you at not charge while he's there. (I just did this with a client & they are VERY happy to now have (2) HR24's & a Genie w/2 clients)
If that doesn't pan out, I'm sure they would add 2 clients at no charge while they are adding your new Genie, in place of those HR23's; if that would happen, you would end up with 9 tuners total. (5 from the Genie + 2 each from your remaining HR24's) If you are successful with getting those HR23's upgraded to 24's, you would then have 13 tuners total!

I assume you already know any kind of upgrade will put you on a 2-year contract...

While I understand the HR24's may be a little slower than a newer Genie, I can't believe yours are THAT slow....so first thing, I'd hang onto those.
Since you have 8 tuners now, you obviously do NOT want to go to only a Genie & then replacing those other DVR's w/clients...that WOULD be taking a step backwards. (you already know they will NOT let you have more than 1 Genie on your account...)
Since you are now wanting a 5th receiver, & if you want to do this the most cost effective way, I would first see what they would charge to add a new Genie (most likely $0) then see what they might charge to upgrade those 2 HR23's to HR24's; if you tell them these receivers are having all kinds of problems, the tech may just go ahead & swap them for you at not charge while he's there. (I just did this with a client & they are VERY happy to now have (2) HR24's & a Genie w/2 clients)
If that doesn't pan out, I'm sure they would add 2 clients at no charge while they are adding your new Genie, in place of those HR23's; if that would happen, you would end up with 9 tuners total. (5 from the Genie + 2 each from your remaining HR24's) If you are successful with getting those HR23's upgraded to 24's, you would then have 13 tuners total!

I assume you already know any kind of upgrade will put you on a 2-year contract...

Sorry Rich i have 2 H23's not HR23

The HR24's sometimes take up to 7/8 seconds just to change channels or bring up the guide. I have timed it!

Can you tell me a little more about the "clients". Are they the wireless?

If I swap out the the 2 H23's for clients what do I lose?

Thanks again

OK, that might make a dif then, as those still have their own (dedicated) tuners in each receiver
The HR24's sometimes take up to 7/8 seconds just to change channels or bring up the guide. I have timed it!
I believe you; unfortunately if you want more than 5 tuners for your whole house than what you get in the Genie, you really should probably keep these.
They have both wired & wireless; usually wireless clients cost at least an additional $99 upgrade fee. If you already have cable &/or existing coax in your TV locations, no need to spend the $$$; I prefer to keep as much hardwired as possible.
The clients do NOT have tuners built in; if you go to watch live TV from one, it steals one of the 5 Genie tuners to do...which potentially takes away being able to use it for recording something else at the same time.
2 additional tuners in your house, as described above

Thanks again
With the Clients, you share the 5 tuners from the Genie you'll probably get.

You currently have 6 tuners ...
If they add a Genie, thats 5 tuners (keep in mind that the Clients if you get them, use the ones from the Genie)
\Personally, if they give you a Genie, take it, I would try to upgrade to the HR24's if possible ...
They will more than likely offer clients to you ( yes, they can be wired or wireless).
You need a total of 5 recvrs now .... Go with the Genie and 4 HR24s.

I would talk to them and see how much it would cost to go to the HR24s and Genie first (you gain tuners this way, vs the Clients.

There will be a price to do that, but you'll have to get the how much from them, alot depends on your history with them.

Last edited:
the $99 fee is a one time charge, not monthly. the wireless are nice if you have a spouse who likes to redecorate often-ish. no need to call D* to have anything done, just plug the wireless receiver in and you're good to go. the HR24's you can probably just get replaced if you ask the tech real nice (for new HR24's). although if BOTH of them are doing it you may have something else going on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts