Dtv & Versus

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Versus has 75 million subscribers, the NHL Network has 12-15 million.

NHL's television reach lags behind other sports, but is growing - On the Forecheck

Distribution matters; Public Access in Kenosha, Wisconsin is ONE channel as well.

IF the NHL Network is available on the basic tier on all systems they would be available to many more.
Thats the NHL's problem if they are not available when they could be.

My point was that you can only see one game at a time on VS just like the NHL net.

So if I want to see the Penguins game and they are showing the Blackhawks game, there are no alternatives, your stuck with the one game.

VS and the NHL network would be in the same boat here.
IF they eventually moved back to ESPN, there could potentially be games on 4-5 different ESPN channels, don't forget they also have the seldom used Alt. channels as well that could be used.

A low count poster has posted at the other site that Versus is coming back to D*. Possibly Monday morning. While people are rightly skeptical since no link or source was provided, this poster was first to correctly report that D* and MSG had renewed their contract last year. So we will see.

I hope it Comes back I would like to get D* again I dropped it last month.. The Reason Pro cycling Season starts soon and I had to have Versus.. I live here in New Orleans now and COXS cable realy is BAD!!!!!! Man it sucks and they are way to expensive...

SO D* execs Swallow your pride get Versus HD back and DO N OT OVER CHARGE US !!!!!!!

IF the NHL Network is available on the basic tier on all systems they would be available to many more.
Thats the NHL's problem if they are not available when they could be.

That's sort of like saying "the solution to your debt problem is to acquire more money." While it's a logically correct statement, it completely ignores the reality of the situation.

The particularly ironic part to making that statement is that this whole disagreement between Versus and D* is all about the channel being moved *OUT* of one of the basic tiers into the sports pack. If a channel with the financial backing of Comcast is having problems getting widely tiered, how the heck would you propose the NHL Network pull it off? For fun, look at how this has been attempted before by a league owned channel -- just google "NFL Network lawsuit Dish" and "NFL Network lawsuit Comcast"

My point was that you can only see one game at a time on VS just like the NHL net.

So if I want to see the Penguins game and they are showing the Blackhawks game, there are no alternatives, your stuck with the one game.
It works exactly the same as Monday Night Football. The NBC Game of the Week broadcasts on Sunday and Versus Tuesday/Wed games are exclusive broadcast timeslots -- the NHL shifts the schedule around the national broadcasts so that no other game starts at the same time as a national broadcast. Just like Monday Night Football, the goal of the national broadcast is to allow fans who generally only watch the home team to see some games from other teams around the league. Watching specific games in the way you propose is exactly why Center Ice exists.

IF they eventually moved back to ESPN, there could potentially be games on 4-5 different ESPN channels, don't forget they also have the seldom used Alt. channels as well that could be used.
Most cable networks carry 2 ESPN channels in HD: ESPN and ESPN2.

You can't ignore cable in all of this -- the cable companies have vastly more subscribers in the US than Dish and DirecTV combined.

It'll be interesting to see what the hangup was all about. If it comes out that D* was at fault, there'll be no "principle" keeping me away from Comcast. I'm hoping it's on the Choice Xtra package and not the Sports pack as I just dropped Premiere.

Last edited:
Say, what's with Versus getting a game every day this week? I thought they only had rights to Mondays and Tuesdays?

That's sort of like saying "the solution to your debt problem is to acquire more money." While it's a logically correct statement, it completely ignores the reality of the situation.

The particularly ironic part to making that statement is that this whole disagreement between Versus and D* is all about the channel being moved *OUT* of one of the basic tiers into the sports pack. If a channel with the financial backing of Comcast is having problems getting widely tiered, how the heck would you propose the NHL Network pull it off? For fun, look at how this has been attempted before by a league owned channel -- just google "NFL Network lawsuit Dish" and "NFL Network lawsuit Comcast"

It works exactly the same as Monday Night Football. The NBC Game of the Week broadcasts on Sunday and Versus Tuesday/Wed games are exclusive broadcast timeslots -- the NHL shifts the schedule around the national broadcasts so that no other game starts at the same time as a national broadcast. Just like Monday Night Football, the goal of the national broadcast is to allow fans who generally only watch the home team to see some games from other teams around the league. Watching specific games in the way you propose is exactly why Center Ice exists.

So how does one channel (VS) plan to show playoff games that are played at the same time ? Eastern Conference games are all at the same time, meaning what 4 games at any one time ... The Normal (and great ) thing about the NHL playoffs is that your team plays every other night. Meaning that all the Eastern teams play one night then all the Western teams play the next, with the exception to travel days. How do hey cover 8 games a night, in the Western conference it's a bit easier because the time difference, but you would not have that in the Eastern conference. VS only having ONE channel available to them really hurts the fans as many of them don't get to see the game they want..

Most cable networks carry 2 ESPN channels in HD: ESPN and ESPN2.

You can't ignore cable in all of this -- the cable companies have vastly more subscribers in the US than Dish and DirecTV combined.

Then I guess the Cable companies better get with the coverage.

Was listening to Hockey Night In Canada on Sirrius this afternoon. They had the guy that runs Hockeyfights.com on and a caller asked if he'd heard anything about VS and DTV coming to an agreement. He said he had heard it but his sources at VS claimed it wasn't true. They seem pessimistic that anything will happen before the NHL playoffs. But they did say conversations are going on between VS and DTV, so there's some hope.

Rumor seems to have been started in an ultimate fighting blog/forum.

Satelliteracer (a D* employee in the sports department) gave mention on dbstalk that talks are progressing and to be patient. Several over there are speculating it will be back soon, a few even say a deal is in place.

One user said a retention CSR said a deal was in place and it will return soon, in time for playoffs.

Nothing official from Directv or Versus yet, but hope lives on.

Satelliteracer (a D* employee in the sports department) gave mention on dbstalk that talks are progressing and to be patient. Several over there are speculating it will be back soon, a few even say a deal is in place.

One user said a retention CSR said a deal was in place and it will return soon, in time for playoffs.

Nothing official from Directv or Versus yet, but hope lives on.

Hmmmm,
As we all speculated just before the NHL Playoffs start .....
Playoffs start the second week in April usually.
Have to keep an eye on that one.

I can't believe UFC signed with them, knowing the direcTV situation. Weren't WEC looking for greener pastures?

wonder whats going on with versus now because if you look at 603 and have the sportspack its showing FS Florida and ppv ch 159 old versus slot on the TP. stops showing ppv's from 2:48 am pst to 5pm pst that night also directv's twitter page has this
"we have productive talks going on with Versus and should have an update soon."
" we have productive conversations going on with Versus and hope to have news soon."

some people were reporting seeing a rsn on channel 603 and also a channel not purchased, suggesting when versus comes back it will be in the sports pak as i believe dtv has wanted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts