Dual (Orthomode) Feedhorn configuration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
USA
Hey guys, I recently inherit a dual feed orthomode c-band feedhorn from a member who was kind enough to donate his unused c-band parts to the group. The feedhorn looks like this -

chapdual.jpg

Now the lasts dual c-band feedhorn I had looked nothing like this, and frankly I never opened it up to see what it looked like inside either. (Okay it may have looked "something" like this, I mean feedhorns can only be designed so many ways.. but still)

Anyhow, does anybody have any instructions on how to install the lnb's on this (which direction should they go), etc? Any pictures of how the feedhorn looks when peering down the throat would be awesome too. The odd simplicity of this feed has be mystified on how to appropriately configure it, but I cannot seem to find any instructions on it anywhere either. It seems like there is something missing, but I cannot be certain since I have no real experience with one of these, and there are no decent instructions and/or pictures that I can find on the net.

Thanks in advance!

Isnt that one that doesnt have a servo just 2 LNBs for V and H?
Yes, no servo. Just one wire (probe/whatever) that goes through the middle. I assume the one wire works as both horizontal and vertical due to one lnb being turned 90 degrees different than the other. However, does it matter if I put the lnb on upside down? Is horizontal the same whether its rightside up or upside down? (that sounds like stupid question that I should already understand at this point.. but yet, I'm confused *laf*)

Waveguide

I am certainly too new to this to comment on the connection of this type for hardware, But I tell you the rear of this seems to be a waveguide interface, (although it’s hard to see from the picture). You could potentially use a waveguide to coax transition on this interface. Do you have a picture of the other side?

I recently got one (maybe from the same guy), he was giving away if you pay for shipping. I plan to put it on a 10' fiberglass C-Band dish. I painted my pole Tuesday and planted it Wednesday, and I power washed the dish on Friday. I wanted to paint the dish, but after the wash it looks to good now, so I'm having second thoughts about the paint job? I'm waiting for Wednesday (tomorrow) to put the weight of the dish on the pole. I'm trying to give the cement a week to cure.
Now back to the "Orthomode" feedhorn. I'm going to use mine with a 4x4 Multi-Switch and to Diseqc switches for multiple receivers. I've never really seen one on a dish, so I'm not sure how they were used with Analog receivers? I suppose they were used with the C/H and K/V found on some analog receivers, with the H from the C/H and the V from the K/V sides of the inputs. But, I really don't know. I have an analog receiver with those connections, maybe I'll try it and see? Although that is not what my intended use is. Good Luck with yours!

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)