Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Ottawa Valley Canada
Hi guys.
I just received my new receiver and motor so now I have a few questions.
I would lie some opinions on which is best ,usals or diseqc.
Also this receiver is a dual tuner so you can record one program and watch another at the same time. I only have the dish and motor with a single lnb. could I split the signal for both tuners? the receiver is sonicview 360 elite.
Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
you can slave the second tuner from the first tuner, but that would limit the second tuner to viewing channels only on the same polarity as the master tuner.

I would get a dual output lnb, and run one cable from each output to the receiver.

usals is a form of diseqc sometimes called gotoXX or v1.3.

once a motor is properly setup usals works well. v1.2 allows you to store each sat's position in the motor, this lets you fine tune each sat on the arc. some motor's have a habbit of sometimes forgetting their stored positons, this is frustrating and you have to reenter them all again.

many people use usals to locate the sat, then use v1.2 to tweek the signal if required.

some motor's have a habbit of sometimes forgetting their stored positons, this is frustrating and you have to reenter them all again.

I used to never have this problem, and used diseqC-1.2 for everything, but in the past month or so, my SG2100 has been forgetting most of it's stored positions. I can't imagine why it would suddenly start doing that. I don't remember there being a battery or anything in there when I had it apart a while back.

I guess I'm not 100% sure that the problem isn't with my Diamond 9000 receiver that's controling it. Perhaps I should switch to another receiver to control the motor for a while to see if it's the motor or the receiver.

But yeah, I have generally used USALS to get close to the proper position, then switch to diseqC-1.2 to fine tune the position, and leave it on diseqC-1.2 .
Only recently, I discovered that my Diamond actually has 3 different motor control modes, not just 2. Ie it has diseqC-1.2, USALS, and "BOTH". I'm not really sure what the "BOTH" implies, and since I now have a couple sats listed in that "BOTH" category, perhaps it's not saving the diseqC positions properly, or perhaps it's using USALS to go to the sats, but enabling the diseqC for adjustments... but this was what I was doing anyway, before the thing seemed to switch some of my sats over to the BOTH setting.

Also this receiver is a dual tuner so you can record one program and watch another at the same time. I only have the dish and motor with a single lnb. could I split the signal for both tuners? the receiver is sonicview 360 elite.
Thanks for any info.

as noted above, if you use the loop out option, then the 2nd tuner can only see the same polarity as the main.

If you do a dual LNB run both lines to the receiver then both tuners can get all the channels on that sat you're aimed at

There are band stacking devices which shift ether H or V up. Then you could chain tuners and all tuners would have full access to both pol's. DishPro lnbs have it built in, but of course they are circular. But you are still limited to 1 sat for all lnb's.

not anymore
They all went to the quad unstacked... but there are some bandtsacked ones still around :)

thank you all for your input. great info. I didn't know about using diseqc when I had my last motor so now I will have something to play with and get to know more about fine tuning with my new receiver.

What is quad unstacked?

Shaw Direct (Starchoice) is a Canadian DTH provider (like Dish & Direct is in the US).
They use 2 types of LNB's

Stacked was the original and allowed you to just use a high frequency splitter to add receivers
Unstacked is like the FTA LNB's

Then they started using 2 satellites (107.3 main and 111.1) and they still use 2 types
stacked looks like 2 "beer cans" and uses a special multiswitch (2x2)

The quad unstacked is 4 outputs with a big 22k switch inside. It sees both sats (107.3 & 111.1) and has 4 outputs. Its Shaw's "stock" LNB when you sign up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)