DVR-1100c 500gb hard drive PC file issue

fyretech

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
USA
I have a WD 5000BEV external USB drive. It came as FAT32 already. Plugged it in and it did time machine and time record fine. When I plug it into my XP pc I can't see the files in a useable format. Do I need a different OS to see the files, or what is the solution? Screencap attached. I can't browse any of those folders that were created either. When I plug it back into the dvr I can play the files fine.

Attachments

• dvr.JPG
    dvr.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 236
Usually this issue occurs when the hard drive directory is corrupted. This may have been the result of the hard drive not being formatted with the receiver prior to recording and occurs frequently on hard drive that are over the supported 500GB size. Unfortunately, the recordings will be lost in the process of fixing the directory. We recommend that any hard drive must be formatted by the receiver prior to recording. The factory formatting may be generic and missing important table information required by the receiver to reference the recordings.

How to correct?
You might be able to just format the drive with the receiver. If this does not correct the issue, you will need to first format the drive in a Mac or if on a PC with software such as SwissKnife to FAT32, then format once again with the receiver prior to recording.
Notice: Never delete or rename program recording files with a computer.

Last edited:
Recording from 1100c

I like your idea, Pop. I think I will never take the drive from the receiver and only use it there. I can archive to the hd on the computer, then delete in the receiver. I know this takes time (record in real time), but there are so many headaches by plugging the reciever's hd into the computer. I think no matter what format the receiver files the program on the local hd, the output is mpeg2, which the computer recognizes. I have recorded programming from the 1100c's hd to the computer and Windows Media Player plays it.

I haven't tried the timed recording.

I think this is similar to memory cards used in cameras and then plugged into a computer. Lotsa troubles. It is best to leave the memory card in the camera.

There are no issues with unplugging the USB drive from the receiver and connecting it to a PC or Mac to watch or copy the recordings. To be safe, don't delete or rename the recordings with the computer. I frequently delete and rename recordings on my PC, but I am also aware that it is possible to corrupt the drive and possibly lose all recordings if it must be reformatted.

I use iSkySoft and VideoReDo all of the time to burn DVDs. Usually burn DVDs at 16X so a one hour recording is usually ripped in 5 or so minutes. Most computers sold in the past 4 or 5 years are up for the job of dealing with standard definition programming!

Playing .TS files

I plugged the 15g hdd into this computer (Vista) and cannot play any .TS files. I can copy files from/to the small drive. wmv files copied to the small hdd play in Windows Media Player. I tried VLC with a converter. No success. The ability to move the drive to the computer and save quickly and burn to a dvd is good, but I don't know how to do it.

I've become confident in filing and burning standard def video on this computer. Just can't do anything with .TS files.

i completely uninstalled VLC and re-installed from a different server. I like the player. It plays many formats, but not .TS. I tried the convert function, but couldn't navigate to convert to mpeg or wav.

Maybe someone on here knows how to convert these files, or make VLC play them.

I killed my hard drive

I guess putting a file on the small hdd from another drive on the computer wasn't a good idea. I didn't delete, rename, nor format on the computer. I reformated it twice on the receiver. Now, the 1100c will record onto the hdd, but it won't play back anything.

The hdd was not killed. The directory has been corrupted.

Format the hdd on your computer.
If a Mac, just format.
If a PC, use an utility like the free version of SwissKnife to format FAT32 then plug the drive into the receiver and format again.

I plugged the 15g hdd into this computer (Vista) and cannot play any .TS files. I can copy files from/to the small drive. wmv files copied to the small hdd play in Windows Media Player. I tried VLC with a converter. No success. The ability to move the drive to the computer and save quickly and burn to a dvd is good, but I don't know how to do it.

I've become confident in filing and burning standard def video on this computer. Just can't do anything with .TS files.

Have you had an opportunity to reviewed page 26 in the GEOSATpro DVR1100c Owners Manual? This information will quite useful as you view, transfer or burn files.

]The USB hard drive can also be connected to a MAC or PC for transferring, archiving and viewing the recorded programming. Transfer programs onto your laptop for enjoying programs on the road! Many computer viewing programs are available free online for download. Example: PC - Media Player Classic- Homecinema (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - Video Player) & MAC - iSkySoft (iSkysoft | Video Converter, DVD Ripper, DVD Burner Software for Mac OS X and PC).

It is simple to burn digital quality DVD copies of a TV program in just minutes with iSkySoft for MAC and VideoReDo TVSuite (VideoReDo MPEG Video Editing Software) for PC. This software also will rip files so you can enjoy TV and Radio programs on your iPod or MP3 player. VideoReDo will transfer home movies, photos, MP3’s onto the USB drive for display on your TV or audio system through the DVR1100c.

The .ts file header information is not recognized by VLC. I have read in other forums where users have stripped the .ts file header and regenerated it to be recognized by VLC. Know sure how, way above my head......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)