DVR two feeds?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

danc

Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
North Carolina
I have DirecTv with a multiswitch where the feeds enter the house. I also have two dvrs, one in the family room that has two dedicated lines from the multiswitch. All of the other rooms are wired with one cable.

My problem is that I have a DVR in out loft but there is only one cable coming from the multiswitch to that room. Additionally, all of our walls are solid and it is impossible to run another cable from the multiswitch.

Question: Is there some way to split the existing single cable in the loft so that I can fully utilize the DVR. In other words get two separate signals so that I can watch one channel while recording another channel.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan C.

You CANNOT economically split the existing cables. If it were possible, they would have done it when they installed it in the first place.

What all DIRECTV boxes are we talking about? You may be able to upgrade enough equipment to use an SWM-based setup.

I have a DTV Model HR21 in the loft. I'm not sure what the model of the multiswitch is. I have an LMB dish with I believe four leads coming into the multiswitch.

From the multiswitch I am feeding two cables to our main TV w/HDDVR, one cable each to master bedroom (HD receiver), exercise room (regular receiver) and the loft (HD DVR).

AS for the DTV installer suggesting a way to split the single cable in the loft...that was beyond his pay grade. Nice enough fellow but not very savvy on the installation.

I don't mind spend some bucks for a workable solution to be able to utilize the loft dvr.

Thanks,

Dan C.

Exactly how "impenetrable" are these walls?

As you claim to be fully HD, you should be able to use either an SWM dish or an outboard SWM-8 switch to feed everything you need for a DVR over a single wire.

Have you tried using a diplexer? Run two lines in and one out to the other diplexer then two out. One to each dvr port. Let us know if it works.

Sorry, a diplexer is for combining/separating sat with OTA. Won't work to combine/separate two sat signals.

What the OP could do is buy the SWM8 and connect it to the four lines from the dish.
Then use one SWM output for the loft receiver (must be SWM capable, which the HR21 is).
Use the legacy outputs (there are three) of the SWM module for the older receivers.

The walls are SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) and can't snake any wires through them.
Exactly how "impenetrable" are these walls?

As mentioned previously, I do have an LMB dish that comes into a junction box where the 4 leads are connected to a Zinwell Wide-band 6X8 Multi Sw Model WB68. There are 4 leads coming in from the dish (2 connected to 18V & 2 to 13V). I then have 5 outputs (2 to the family rm DVR, i to master bedroom HD receiver, 1 to regular receiver and 1 to the loft HD DVR)

I'm not sure what the following statement is suggesting. Could you please explain in a little more detail (I'm not a tech savvy person).

As you claim to be fully HD, you should be able to use either an SWM dish or an outboard SWM-8 switch to feed everything you need for a DVR over a single wire.

Thanks again for any help that you guys can offer.

Dan C.

I have a DTV Model HR21 in the loft. I'm not sure what the model of the multiswitch is. I have an LMB dish with I believe four leads coming into the multiswitch.

From the multiswitch I am feeding two cables to our main TV w/HDDVR, one cable each to master bedroom (HD receiver), exercise room (regular receiver) and the loft (HD DVR).

AS for the DTV installer suggesting a way to split the single cable in the loft...that was beyond his pay grade. Nice enough fellow but not very savvy on the installation.

I don't mind spend some bucks for a workable solution to be able to utilize the loft dvr.

Thanks,

Dan C.
What does "solid " walls mean? Reinforced concrete? Cinderblock? Brick?
Please explain.
The answer to your question is no.
There is not a "splitter" solution that is cost effective.
I believe there are expensive distribution systems.
Yoyur receiver is not single wire multiswitch compatable
here's a list of compatible receivers
HR20-100 through HR20-700
HR21-100 through HR21-700
HR22-100 through HR22-700
H20-100 through H20-700
H21-100 through H21-700
H22-100 through H22-700
H23-100 through H23-700
R16-100 through R16-700
R22-100 through R22-700
R23-100 through R23-700
D12-100 through D12-700
D13-100 through D13-100

To Dishcomm,

As stated in an earlier post; The walls are SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) and you can't snake any wires through them. What this means is that the walls are made up of panels that consist of OSB sheets with expanded polycyanate foam between two sheets of OSB. They are solid.

Also as previously stated the DVR in question is an HR21 that your list shows as compatible.

I also spent about an hour on the phone today w/DTV and they are dispatching a tech to "install a second line" and after he surveys and sees that they cannot install a second line they will hook up a SWM-8 that will effectively split the single line to give me two feeds into the HR21. At this point that is the plan, let's see what happens when the tech shows up.

Here's a couple of sites that I found that had some info regarding DTVs use of the SWM-8

DirecTV SWM8 - Single Wire Multiswitch - $199 Including Power Inserter - Free Shipping

SWM Switch…Directv’s Best Kept Secret!!! Learn to Swim and quit Running (extra cabling)!!!! Pardon the Interaction

I'll post progress. Thanks again for the help.

Keep in mind that 99% of techs have no clue what a SWM-8 Module is, much less how to install one. It is NOT something D* will install.. you will need to hire a contractor that knows or do it yourself. When a CSR hears SWM8 they will think you are referring to the 1x8 splitter used with current SWMLnb systems. The SWM-8 Mod will work with up to 3 older boxes and 8 SWM compatible boxes/tuners.

Well DTV sent out a tech and after about three hours they reconfigured my service and installed a SWM-8 system and all is working fine.

They installed an 1x8 splitter at the entrance box, reconfigured the Slim -5 Dish to a single head and used one lead from the dish to the powered 1x8 SWM splitter. Removed all the "B" band converters on the receivers and voila the DVRS now work with one lead each and all the other HD receivers are fine.

Thanks to "foobar12" for the lead on this.

Dan C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts