DVR will not extend recordings

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I have noticed that my DVR will not extend the recording time even though I have selected the 10 minute option both on a one time basis while setting up a scheduled recording and as a permanent option under the "recording preferences" menu. When I go to "scheduled recordings" and check the time length for shows it includes the extra 10 minutes but it does not happen. This is almost certainly a software bug and not something unique to my equipment. It does successfully record one minute early. Actually I would prefer an option to extend time by just one minute as most DVRs allow. I just sent an e-mail to Orby about this and will post if I get any reply.

No, not usually. Once this week I recorded two episodes in a row of "Law and Order" from WE. I am glad I did as the jury foreman had just stood up and said " we find the defendant ............" and the recording cut off. As I mentioned, I had started the second episode one minute early so got to hear the "not guilty" at the start of that episode. All my other recordings have been one single show for the entire evening.

I finally called Orby today about this issue as I never had any reply from the e-mail on 08/17/19 and once again was left hanging having the last 30 seconds of a season finale cut off. The CSR put me on hold and then came back saying that this is a known issue and there will be a software release tonight to address the problem. I have written down the software number from the information screen but am not familiar enough with this system to know if that number will change or what. I will just do a trial recording tomorrow of some random show and see if it will extend by ten minutes. I told the CSR that a one minute option would be preferable but I will be glad if they can just fix the 10 minute extension. I will post my results when I have them. At least I found out that the CSR is in Las Vegas. I was afraid of having to deal with some unintelligible foreign accent.

I did not see any change on the software version. I did not write down all of the numbers on that screen but did try unplugging the DVR before the test recording. I will wait until after the Holiday weekend to deal with this any further. There is more to life...!

Reactions: Titanium
I am actually putting my Orby subscription on "pause" this month while I am out of town and to give them time to work on this issue. It may seem like a minor detail but twice now I have had to go to the computer to find out what happened in the final moments of a suspenseful episode. The pause capability is one thing that drew me to this service compared to being tied to a contract or even having to call a TV service and sit through endless offers and promotions just to get the thing turned off for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts