easiest way for non computer literate person to hook up wii

BengalsFan24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
i even tried the wireless deal with my ps3 and it just wouldnt work. the only success i had was pulling the router that serves my computer and moving it across the house and hooking it up that way. i dont care so much for hooking the ps3 up again right now (even tho it would be nice) but want to do a couple of virtual console games when i get the wii hooked up christmas morning. is simply moving my router to the console (even tho it is a pain) the best thing or does the wii need to be connected ALL THE TIME to play vc games. if the vc games are downloaded and then saved (doint have to be on the internet to play them) it wouldnt seem so painless.

otherwise i guess ill need a wired router of some type in its place. also, my company provided devices that seem to "split" hte connection between the phone and internet at each input for telephones. do i need another one of htose if making a new perm connection?

i even tried the wireless deal with my ps3 and it just wouldnt work. the only success i had was pulling the router that serves my computer and moving it across the house and hooking it up that way. i dont care so much for hooking the ps3 up again right now (even tho it would be nice) but want to do a couple of virtual console games when i get the wii hooked up christmas morning. is simply moving my router to the console (even tho it is a pain) the best thing or does the wii need to be connected ALL THE TIME to play vc games. if the vc games are downloaded and then saved (doint have to be on the internet to play them) it wouldnt seem so painless.

otherwise i guess ill need a wired router of some type in its place. also, my company provided devices that seem to "split" hte connection between the phone and internet at each input for telephones. do i need another one of htose if making a new perm connection?
What exactly is your question? How to hook up a Wii to a wireless network?

You can only have one connection to the DSL at a time, either via DSL modem or a router with the DSL modem built into it. Beyond that, it's a question of extending your internal network, and there are only two ways to do that - wired or wireless.

I'm assuming that you have a PC in the existing location of the router that is wired to it and you're not able to get wireless working on the PC, either? If that's the case, you'll need to either run a wire over to where the Wii is or figure out some way to make the wireless work, possibly with a wireless gaming adapter...?

There are plenty of other options, but they'd probably all be more complicated.

Other than that, you'll just have to move the router every time you want to connect one of your consoles. And yes, you'll need the splitter/filter installed on any jack in the house that is in use.

Know any friends, neighbors, etc. who could help? Maybe consider getting Geek Squad or something like that to come in as a one-time deal to get it all set up for you?

If you have any other details about your existing setup, we might be able to offer more solutions...

While I don't necessarily have the same questions, I do have a question about the difficulty of setting up a wireless network. Like the original poster, I am currently just moving my router from one end of the house to the other (from my personal computer in a guest bedroom to the location of my PS3 -- in the living room across the house). Since the only thing I have did it for is updates to MLB08: The Show and Madden 2009, it hasn't been too annoying but I've been itching to try GTAIV online several times but have instead needed my comptuer.

Also like the original poster, I'm expecting a Wii for Christmas. My primary use for the Wii will (at this point at least) most likely be the download of NES, SNES, and N64 Virtual Console games. However, rather than move my router every time I choose to download something, I have considered a wireless network. Many of the reviews for each tend to suggest there really isn't that much to setting up the network. I have narrowed my picks down to the following two items:

Linksys - Wireless-G Broadband Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch - WRT54G2

D-Link - Wireless-N Router - DIR-615

Just wondering if anybody had experience with either of these items or with a Linksys or D-Link wireless router. I currently have DSL connection (wired) that only serves the personal computer (unless I disconnect it to temporarily connect it to the PS3). Would I need to purchase any additional services from my ISP? Any additional modems that might be a better pick? (I looked at a more affordable router since my primary goal is to make updates to PS3 games or download Virtual Console games - at this point, I don't look to actually be playing online that much).

Thanks in advance for any input...

While I don't necessarily have the same questions, I do have a question about the difficulty of setting up a wireless network. Like the original poster, I am currently just moving my router from one end of the house to the other (from my personal computer in a guest bedroom to the location of my PS3 -- in the living room across the house). Since the only thing I have did it for is updates to MLB08: The Show and Madden 2009, it hasn't been too annoying but I've been itching to try GTAIV online several times but have instead needed my comptuer.

Also like the original poster, I'm expecting a Wii for Christmas. My primary use for the Wii will (at this point at least) most likely be the download of NES, SNES, and N64 Virtual Console games. However, rather than move my router every time I choose to download something, I have considered a wireless network. Many of the reviews for each tend to suggest there really isn't that much to setting up the network. I have narrowed my picks down to the following two items:

Linksys - Wireless-G Broadband Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch - WRT54G2

D-Link - Wireless-N Router - DIR-615

Just wondering if anybody had experience with either of these items or with a Linksys or D-Link wireless router. I currently have DSL connection (wired) that only serves the personal computer (unless I disconnect it to temporarily connect it to the PS3). Would I need to purchase any additional services from my ISP? Any additional modems that might be a better pick? (I looked at a more affordable router since my primary goal is to make updates to PS3 games or download Virtual Console games - at this point, I don't look to actually be playing online that much).

Thanks in advance for any input...

I'm not familiar with those particular models, but I have had both success with Linksys and D-Link products in the past. Netgear is the only one I've had a problem with.

Wireless is pretty easy to set up, but it also depends on how you want to set it up. If you don't want any security or anything, you could almost just plug everything in, turn on the wireless in your consoles and be ready to go - there's not much more to it than that. Of course, I'd recommend setting up security (WPA2) on the router - which will also require doing the same on the consoles.

This is basically just turning on the feature and typing in a passcode in all of the devices - in most cases, you come up with something in cleartext and then the device reformats it - this makes it pretty easy for you to set up and virtually impossible for someone else to hack into, assuming you don't pick something really easy for the passcode. Try to throw in some special characters, capital letters, etc.

The only other thing you might have to worry about is that on many routers, there is a feature you have to turn on and/or an "allow" setting to make it so that it will let you do gaming across it. Problem is, almost everyone calls it something different (although in some cases it's actually called "gaming" or something similar), but there should be some instructions about it in the manual you get for the router.

Once you get one, if you have more questions, feel free to PM me with the model you got, and I'll try to help.

I have a 360, PS3, and Wii, and all of them are connected wireless to my network. The setup basically involves going into your network settings, it finds your network, then you put in your security settings. You don't need any special things from your ISP to do this. When you get a router you can split up your connection however you want.

A wireless network is pretty easy to set-up, even for non-computer literate folks. Most routers nowadays have easy set-up wizards when you do initial installations and should be a breeze. In terms of your consoles, all you need to do is go in the settings and do a quick search for your wireless network, enter a password if you decided to add protection to your router, and presto.... you're now an online gamer.

I'm not familiar with those particular models, but I have had both success with Linksys and D-Link products in the past. Netgear is the only one I've had a problem with.

Wireless is pretty easy to set up, but it also depends on how you want to set it up. If you don't want any security or anything, you could almost just plug everything in, turn on the wireless in your consoles and be ready to go - there's not much more to it than that. Of course, I'd recommend setting up security (WPA2) on the router - which will also require doing the same on the consoles.

This is basically just turning on the feature and typing in a passcode in all of the devices - in most cases, you come up with something in cleartext and then the device reformats it - this makes it pretty easy for you to set up and virtually impossible for someone else to hack into, assuming you don't pick something really easy for the passcode. Try to throw in some special characters, capital letters, etc.

The only other thing you might have to worry about is that on many routers, there is a feature you have to turn on and/or an "allow" setting to make it so that it will let you do gaming across it. Problem is, almost everyone calls it something different (although in some cases it's actually called "gaming" or something similar), but there should be some instructions about it in the manual you get for the router.

Once you get one, if you have more questions, feel free to PM me with the model you got, and I'll try to help.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions on this issue. I was able to purchase a wireless router and easily connect both my PS3 and the Wii. Life is much easier without dragging all these items from room to room! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts