Echo 7 Ku Nasa and Ion are scrambled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You would have to use a device such as the G-Box to control the actuator on the BUD, and I wouldn't want to use a PC-based solution for that. I've had troubles enough controlling a DiSEqC H-H motor with a PC, so I just use the Visionsats to move everything now. You could set a fixed 6-footer on 87W :) ...

You would have to use a device such as the G-Box to control the actuator on the BUD, and I wouldn't want to use a PC-based solution for that. I've had troubles enough controlling a DiSEqC H-H motor with a PC, so I just use the Visionsats to move everything now. You could set a fixed 6-footer on 87W :) ...

Hmmm.... Well, that could be a starting point I guess. For starters, could I just connect the big dish into the disque switch like I do with the small KU dishes?

I could do that for awhile while I save up to add a motor to the big dish. I don't think there's any motors to be found in that pile of dishes dumb-dumb collected. He was going to do some solar water heater stuff with them and I think he just kept the dishes and not to other parts. I'm not for sure on that but I can call him to find out.

I don't know about the lnb thingies either. I don't recall seeing any of them around other than one I found in the tool shed last year. I know nothing about it and I don't know where the arms for it are. Or what dish it goes to.. :eek:

At best, it's all a big pile of pot luck junk. And I have no earthly idea about any of it.
I haven't even seen the controller boxes/tuners/whatevers for them in years.

I guess I could bribe a neighbor with more beer to dig the hole and put the concrete in. That's a bigger job than I want to attempt.

Ok... I'm thinking on it. But for now I have to get some beauty sleep, goddess knows I could use it. Lots of it... :rolleyes:

nite nite... :)

If moving the BUD isn't a priority, then adding it to an existing Ku system using a DiSEqC switch is simple (if you have an unused port on the switch). The only problem you would run into is how to operate the polarotor (small motor on the BUD feedhorn that changes polarity), but you could simply replace the old LNB/feedhorn/polarotor with a modern C-Band LNBF such as this one or this one and it will work like an ordinary Ku-Band LNBF.

Dee-Ann, if all your interested in is getting ThisTV, you might want to look around for an unused 1.2m KU band dish. I have scored two of them in just a couple of months. I used one as a mini bud aimed at 99w for the Caribbean mux with great sucess (until I scored a 10 footer). If you go that route, it's a lighter dish, smaller pole, and I used an old analog lnb without a ring. Just stuck it on there and played till I got the signal, no motor, nothing connected except through the diseqc switch.

This picture was before the pole was planted, just aimed the dish till I found a signal, then replaced the KU lnbf with a C Band lnb. It worked, so I dug the hole and mounted the dish.

Photto

Attachments

• Photo_041109_003.jpg
    Photo_041109_003.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 170
Interesting options there guys.

Thinking ahead a little though, I am certain that I will want the ability to move the dish about and see other satellites. I've learned that this is a volatile "hobby" as you guys call it and that satellites come and go like a moth in a tornado.

So what I think I would be best off doing is, put in a pole for a big dish and for now set it up as stationary with the option to add a motor to it in the future. I haven't looked yet but I'm assuming that they still sell replacement motors for those kind of dishes since you guys use them so much.

As to putting a motor on a smaller KU dish, I'm giving up on that venture. I got a motor for one but I still can not figure out a way to attach it to a dish, the dishes I have are not designed to be motorized.

What I think I will do is take that one meter dish I fixed with lawn chair parts and use it to get RTV. That should ensure that I always get a very good signal even in bad weather. :D

I'll then take the dish I'm now using for RTV and use it for that new satellite they are talking about, Free DBS I think it is. I seriously doubt that it will ever come to be but if it does I'll have a dish for it. I looked at their proposed channels lineup and I see about 3 channels, maybe 4 that I would probably be interested in. Most of the channels are very male-centric but oh well, that's how things go.

To be honest, I have serious doubts about that Free DBS thing. It looks fishy to me and I just don't believe it will ever even happen. Corporate/capitalist America just can not and will not permit ANY free thing to exist.
FREE = EVIL. FREE = COMMUNISM. FREE = ANTI-AMERICAN

Thou shalt make an obscene profit.
Thou shalt crush all those opposed to obscene profiteering.
Thou shalt worship thy holy dollar as the one and only true GOD.

But as to the Free DBS thing? I think someone is playing games to lure investors into putting up money so someone can hop a plane to South America.

But we shall see. Me? I'm not holding my breath.
IMO, I think KU free satellite is dying off. It's died off a LOT in just the short time that I've been messing with it. :(

Dee, I hope the FreeDBS thing goes through, but like you, I'm not holding my breath. It would be nice to have a satellite similar to what G-18 (G-10R) was again. English language programming is something that would be nice to have more of.

As for your plans for the BUD, that sounds like a prudent course. Most of those dishes are made to be motorized anyway, and there would probably already be an actuator (linear motor that moves the dish) on one that you would put up. You could use a car battery or an old analog receiver to move the dish to where you want it, and park it there until you need to move it again in the future.

well I took down the little pizza dish I had for NASA and ION. Serves no purpose anymore. I guess I could make a little bird bath out of it.. :)

You mean like this?

well I took down the little pizza dish I had for NASA and ION. Serves no purpose anymore. I guess I could make a little bird bath out of it.. :)

I think all the FTA SatelliteGuys should setup a "Dish or Direct Birdbath" and take pictures of them. This is not mine just one I found with Google. :D

Attachments

• convert-satellite-dish-bird-bath-200X200.jpg
    convert-satellite-dish-bird-bath-200X200.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 177
Hey there is a Charlie chat today tell him to open up NASA, just kiding!
I wonder what would he say if asked that.

they scrambled Dish 101 too so we cant watch it (unless they still have those 2 oddball channels 19000 & 19010 still in the clear)

they scrambled Dish 101 too so we cant watch it (unless they still have those 2 oddball channels 19000 & 19010 still in the clear)

They scrambled Dish 101!? Wow. We can't even watch Charlie Chat anymore then.

Do you think that they are scrambling ALL of their channels, including previews so that they can say that there is absolutely no legit reason at all for someone to have a dish pointed at their satellites and be hooked up to a free-to-air receiver other than piracy?

I know they scrambled 3 of the channels last week. There were 5 channels that were DIsh 101 (480, 829, 19000, 19010) and as of last week only 19000 & 19010 are in the clear...that may have changed

But everything else on Dish is scrambled...even the test cards (you have a dish at _____)

Do you think that they are scrambling ALL of their channels, including previews so that they can say that there is absolutely no legit reason at all for someone to have a dish pointed at their satellites and be hooked up to a free-to-air receiver other than piracy?

Could be... But I have the right to point a dish at any bird I want. Maybe I like the no subscription message :D

I wonder what they're doing... Perhaps some sort of encryption test? Maybe they're trying to gauge how many people were viewing the ITC stuff by taking it away to see how many people moan ;) ... It wouldn't surprise me if it all came back at some point. I found a couple of ITC channels (the same thing on both) from 61.5W while scanning 63W linear :rolleyes: ...

from reading the uplink report, Dish 101 will be in HD and they are going to have some preview about a HBO series on there so that might be why

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts