Echo II gone?! (CONFIRMED) (Echostar 2)

A backup sat, Locals for Alaska and 6 smaller markets, all since transferred. Not a big loss IMHO. No doomsday scenario here.

I'm sure the Navy would pay them more to use it as Target Practice. Unless of course its the USAF's turn.

Dis is true.

A backup sat, Locals for Alaska and 6 smaller markets, all since transferred. Not a big loss IMHO. No doomsday scenario here.

May hinder Eastern Arc. Also has nothing to do with doomsday, just another hit E* really didnt need.

I dont think its bad luck due to it was a old bird and not too smart that they were wanting to use it anyway.. This just might make them put up a new bird like they should anyway to replace order ones.. Overall the main thing is that E11 got up that was the big think..

I agree, but Dish has needed a break over the last year with their sats, and have not gotten one. Even a successful launch was tainted by this failure. D* on the other hand has had great success. Sometimes the wind just blows the wrong way and you cant do anything about it.

I want to thank all the SatellitGuys members who intellegently discussed the possibility of the death of the Echostar II satellite here at SatelliteGuys.US!

As you might have seen another site would not permit discussion of this topic as they felt this rumor was to cause panic.

As you know now this rumor has proven to be true and I am proud that folks discusse the topic here intelligently. This is what seperates us from other sites.

I had a gut feeling yesterday when my calls to Echostar were not being returned that the rumor was true, and as the day went on a number of members sent me information and log files showing that Echostar II was indeed no longer in operation.

A number of folks have emailed and PMed me asking how this news will effect the Eastern Arc plans. And honestly at this time I don't know, but when I hear something I will post it.

Personally I think Dish should scrap the Eastern Arc service and start converting its main operation over to MPEG4. There is no reason they should need to run two seperate operations.

Life expectancy and warranty are two entirely different things. Do most cars die after 3-5 years ? No, they keep running 3-5x longer.

A better example would be:

If you're timing belt life span is 90k miles, do you run it to 150k and risk engine damage?

Dish ran it to long and is going to pay the price. I dont mean that in a high and mighty way, but sometimes if you push it, it pushes back.

It will probably just affect a few markets. If they were planning on doing some extra HD LiLs from 77 with it, those markets would be delayed until the new satellite goes up or they have to use 129 when it goes spot. E8 could carry the load at lower power. Probably better for Dish to have it happen now than to have it happen 3 months from now and some new markets suddenly get the HD LiL axe.

A better example would be:

If you're timing belt life span is 90k miles, do you run it to 150k and risk engine damage?

Dish ran it to long and is going to pay the price. I dont mean that in a high and mighty way, but sometimes if you push it, it pushes back.

It is not like they could take it in for repair. As long as it is working why not use it, the only real 100% limiting factor is the fuel, the rest is just luck.

In fairness he was not talking about taking it in for repair. he was talking about using beyond the expected life.

but then again I thought I heard that it had two more years of expected life instead of it being two years past it.

Personally I think Dish should scrap the Eastern Arc service and start converting its main operation over to MPEG4. There is no reason they should need to run two seperate operations.

Scott, back on the Podcast, V1, show 15 you said that EA was "Amazing Idea" (17:50), and "going to be incredible" (18:27) and Bob said it was a "Bright Idea" (18:31). So why now are you saying "There is no reason they should need to run two seperate operations."? Yea, E-II's loss is a problem but besides that is there something else that is now saying there is no reason they should have EA? Just wondering what might have happened to change such glowing words about EA to no reason to do it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)