Echostar 16 at 61.5W

Thanks for the table Nelson. Is there a map anywhere that shows all the spot beams on one image? Similar to what we've had in the past for the other sats. Just curious as it'd be nice to look at them all together.
Seventy one (71) spot beams.

Attachments

• Echostar 16 Spot Beams.jpg
    Echostar 16 Spot Beams.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 411

Now that is an impressive spot beam coverage map! Looks like a tiny gap in coverage in far west TX/S. NM and Norther Washington State. It looks like they could pretty much move every market into a spot beam with that satellite.

Awesome! Thanks again. That makes it very obvious that they have all those markets on the 77 location covered with no problem. It amazes me how far they've come from the first spot beam sat. Not only in coverage, but also in bandwidth. One sat now that handles thousands of channels.

Last edited:
Is Indianapolis going to have locals on 61.5? Thanks

At this point, I don't think anyone knows what Dish will do with all the spots. I would think they would add all the markets without HD locals and the markets currently on CONUS 77W. After that .... They need to add the other HD beyond the Big 4 for markets. Anything left over, I guess they could add duplicate markets.

On the spot beam map what is the signal strength within the yellow area marked as the spot?
Yellow is always 10 dbw less than the beam center. Go to the Satmaps and hover the cursor over any contour on a beam and the absolute value will pop up. There can be a big variation in values depending on the dbw of the beam center

The reason I ask is because Indy is the largest market in IN, but doesn't have locals on EA when smaller markets like Evansville does.

The arc assigned just depended on what arc had a spot beam that covered that market and had sufficient bandwidth. Some markets are located on both arcs. Most are on one or the other. Evansville was assigned the eastern arc a couple years back because there was no spot beam that covered the market on either arc and it was assigned to 77W on a CONUS beam. Most of us expect it to be moved to a spot beam on 61.5 on the new satellite. Indianapolis is on the western arc and there probably is no compelling reason to also provide it an eastern arc slot unless there is unused bandwidth and Dish thinks it will benefit by doing so.

Yellow is always 10 dbw less than the beam center. Go to the Satmaps and hover the cursor over any contour on a beam and the absolute value will pop up. There can be a big variation in values depending on the dbw of the beam center
Thanks for the info. I'm about to replace my .7m dish w/ a 1m dish to make sure I will have plenty of signal w/ the new spotbeam for the DFW LIL.

What Satmaps. I did to the ones here and no value shows in FF or Chrome.

I still don't understand what E16 is for. Is it a more powerful signal? More HD channels? We still have one channel in the G'ville/Spartanburg area that is still not in HD. What difference will I notice? In laymans terms please let me know. Thanks.

Was curious what everyone's experience has been with receiving a usable signal from Dish's spot beams. Based on previouse sats that they have in use I find that a standard dish (18" single, dish500, dish1000.2, ect.) can receive down to around 52 dbw. I've aimed a 1m primestar dish at the 110 location and gotten a usable signal on a beam where the strength in the area was around 49-50 dbw on the particular spot beam. This was of course estimated using the spot beam map.

I still don't understand what E16 is for. Is it a more powerful signal? More HD channels? We still have one channel in the G'ville/Spartanburg area that is still not in HD. What difference will I notice? In laymans terms please let me know. Thanks.
E16 is going to replace the older E12 satellite that was being used to serve customers on the East coast. Will you get a better signal from the new sat. Probably yes. As for more HD channels. Probably, but it's all speculation at this point. Worst case scenario, you won't see any difference.

Was curious what everyone's experience has been with receiving a usable signal from Dish's spot beams. Based on previouse sats that they have in use I find that a standard dish (18" single, dish500, dish1000.2, ect.) can receive down to around 52 dbw. I've aimed a 1m primestar dish at the 110 location and gotten a usable signal on a beam where the strength in the area was around 49-50 dbw on the particular spot beam. This was of course estimated using the spot beam map.
Double the surface area of the dish for 3 dbw drop in signal at the lnb. 4 times the area will give same performance with 6 dbw lower signal .

I see some activity on TP 5, 24 and 29. Signal strength around 57 and showing "name not acquired". Also noticed that it takes a long time for the receiver to find a lock when flipping through the TP's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts