EchoStar-Rainbow

rtt2 said:
That would just empower Dominion even more. You want to weaken them, you want to make their market as small as possible and try to eliminate them all together

Regardless of your views on the Sky Angel programming, in the current political climate as well as the push by the FCC for satellite competition, there is some value to Dish to keep a niche competitor like Dominion in business. A deal to maintain or gain TP access at 61.5 W is in Dish's best interest. In addition, I am sure Dish gains some subscribers by offering Sky Angel programming.

To follow-up what nitstlaker posted, perhaps Dish and Dominion are on better terms that what appears and the only way that the FCC approves the Rainbow acquisition is if Dominion appears to be a somewhat viable competitor. The 3 TP frequencies at 157 W that Dish could possibly lose because they moved the E-4 satellite to 77 W also maybe part of this issue. How about this scenario:

The FCC approves the Rainbow acquisition with the 11 frequencies at 61.5 W. Dominion gets the two unlicensed frequencies at 61.5 and signs a new deal with Dish whereby Dominion gets use of 3 TPs at 61.5 on a newer Dish satellite and Dish gets use of the other 7 TPs that are licensed to Dominion. Dominion also gets 3 TPs at 157 W that Dish provides on their new satellite there. Why would Dish do this. First, to get FCC approval for the Rainbow acquisition. Dish is assured of getting long term usage of 7 of Dominion's now 10 TPs at 61.5 instead of possibly losing 6 of them that they currently use when E-3 dies. Actually Dish gains additional TPs at 61.5 if they move a newer satellite there since E-3 can not provide signals on 2 TP frequencies at 61.5 because of failures. The FCC is also happy because there is a third satellite competitor.

I really don't have an opinion about Sky Angel as a company personally.

The thing that bothers me is the messy business relationship Echostar has with Sky Angel. It is complicated and needs to be simplified.

Sky Angel needs to be an independent entity. With the E*3 satellite coming to its end of life it makes sense to sever the ties sooner rater than later for E*.

SA* as a provider does not have the capital nor the resources to be independent. I am a little skeptical of how many PAYING subs the company actually has. This FCC filing is really a last ditch effort by Sky Angel to either renegotiate with E* OR a desperate attempt to save its very existence.

rtt2 said:
I really don't have an opinion about Sky Angel as a company personally.

The thing that bothers me is the messy business relationship Echostar has with Sky Angel. It is complicated and needs to be simplified.

Sky Angel needs to be an independent entity. With the E*3 satellite coming to its end of life it makes sense to sever the ties sooner rater than later for E*.

SA* as a provider does not have the capital nor the resources to be independent. I am a little skeptical of how many PAYING subs the company actually has. This FCC filing is really a last ditch effort by Sky Angel to either renegotiate with E* OR a desperate attempt to save its very existence.

What has made the business relationship messy is the recent lawsuit and the fact that Sky Angel has started to offer more mainstream programming. Dish has entered into a few "complicated" business relationships recently that include Rainbow/Voom, Ciel for the 129 W Canadian DBS slot, SES Americom for AMC-15 and AMC-16 with the latter maybe being moved to 118.7 W in a three party deal with SES Americom and TeleSat. In addition, there's the E-4 at 77 W slot deal with a Mexican company related to SES Americom.

I agree with you that this maybe a last ditch effort for Dominion/Sky Angel to renegotiate with Dish since the costs of having its own satellite and uplink center are probably outside the resources of Dominion/Sky Angel. Dish maybe willing to negotiate because time is a factor in their competition with DirecTV, cable and some of the telephone monopolies.

I agree with you.

However most of the deals Dish has entered into agree with its core business. It has made deals with commercial satellite providers for transponder leases which seems to be the trend for global residential providers.

The Voom deal is a partial ownership deal of a content company that helps Echostar better compete with the likes of NewsCorp (aka D*) and also helps Echostar renegotiate better deals of networks that Newscorp and other MSOs own like Comcast and Cablevision by having the leverage of being a partial owner of content. Remember E* has entered into partial ownership agreements with G4TV and SiTV as well.

Sky Angel's use may have outlived. Aiding another Multichannel provider that plans on adding more mainstream channels and probably will if they get more transponders will only hurt E*. In fact it may cannibalize some of E* customers.

Although now specifically stated, it sounds like Dominion/Sky Angel is trying to throw a wrench into the sale of Rainbow-1 and transfer of TPs (and so on) in the hope of picking up Rainbow-1 and all their TPs at 61.5 on the cheap. Possible?

7+ months and they still can't come to a decision?

Kevin Martin, the new director is doing a bang up job, no?

Michael Powell was no "friend" of satellite, but at least he believed in a level playing field. Martin seems to be beholden to the NAB which should scare the bejesus out of all of us.........

Following the link above leads me to believe there is nothing happening- now day 219. I thought I'd read elsewhere that the sale was going thru after all, but I guess that was NQR.

Any new info?

I already sent an email to the FCC requesting a reason for the delay.

Still waiting for a response after two weeks.

So far the Univision deal holds the record for the longest time to make a decision at 258 days. I guess we are going to make a play for that one......

BobMurdoch said:

maybe you should send an email to the FCC requesting a reason for the delay in answering your email requesting a reaons for the delay.

BobMurdoch said:

So far the Univision deal holds the record for the longest time to make a decision at 258 days. I guess we are going to make a play for that one......

If enough of us contacted our congress people, it may have better results. It would probably have to be one that is NOT up for election in '06 though as they're already too beholding for campaign air time.

If we're lucky, one of us might have one that's not bought & paid for by the NAB and it only takes one of two to make a lot of noise. What the FCC is doing is reprehensable and an obvious indication that they are controled by other elements.

The FCC has been "scolded" before for not acting when they were supposed to (can't recall just what it was). Anyway, it's not like they've been swamped with other issues. They still haven't made any progress on the "digital white area" thing and I believe time runs out on that in Dec.

Congress is trying to come up with DTV legislation this month and who knows, if someone stirs things up a little, the FCC might be forced into some action.

The whole purpose of this congressional action is to speed up the digital transition and come up with an earlier "hard date". It's pretty clear that things like this lack of action by the FCC is not helping matters.

FCC must still be pissed at E* for using Rainbow-1 to sell VOOM HD programming in advance of the sale/transfer of TP frequencies. Anyway, I contacted the FCC's Satellite Division, International Bureau at 202-418-0719 and voiced my concern. Give 'em a call...it can't hurt.

riffjim4069 said:
FCC must still be pissed at E* for using Rainbow-1 to sell VOOM HD programming in advance of the sale/transfer of TP frequencies. Anyway, I contacted the FCC's Satellite Division, International Bureau at 202-418-0719 and voiced my concern. Give 'em a call...it can't hurt.

I will. By the way, what did they say?

I called and they said we should contact this guy named Steve Spaeth
His number is: 202-418-1539

I suggest we all call him up and demand an explanation

I just called in and the lady sounded pissed... not another one of these calls she said.. LOL keep calling.. She said that she's gotten alot of calls about this this morning. and she's now transfering me to the person in charge.

Hey, if some whackjob from some BS social watchdog group can trigger an investigation into "indecent programs" and have them make it sound like there is a major uprising, we can do the same.

Let 'em have it. I'll call this afternoon or tomorrow after the rest of you have a crack at 'em.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts