Echostar SRD 7000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trommy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Nova Scotia
Can I use this VCII "receiver/descrambler/positioner" as described by Gizer 777 in the stickies as necessary for('a VCII descrambler for analog and Digicypher reception') C band.I believe When I asked this before I may have thought it was first generation VCI.I incorrectly asked this earlier in the C band section.Thanks:)

I think that is probably an old analog receiver, possibly with a VC2 module. I had the 5000 model many years ago before lightning got it, but it was only a receiver, and needed a stand-alone videocipher descrambler. Regardless, I'm pretty sure its only a receiver for analog signals, or VC2 signals and will not do Digicipher at all. There's no subscribable analog scrambled signals left for us home viewers, so its not very useful. Unless it has the dish positioner built-in, then you could move your big dish with it, and catch analog signals in the clear. Coupled with a dvb receiver you'd have a working combo.

Correct.
I used an Echostar 7000 for many years (90-96), until the tuner went out. Replaced that, and then the power supply went out.
It is a nice receiver, mainly because it is easy to use, if you have the advanced remote. Mine came with 2 remotes, a short one which just changed channels and sats, and a 2nd long one that did everything.
As said above, it is just an analog receiver, which can use a VCII module. My only issue with it was that it didn't have a frequency readout to tell what freq you were on when on Ku. It had several Ku formats which were rather strange, mainly because the sats had strange layouts back in 1990, and you couldn't tell what freq you were on. It did have a tunable freq offset that would allow you to shift off the center freq, but you didn't know what the center freq was.
The 7000 is pretty much the same as the Houston Tracker 8+ . It does have a built in dish mover too. I still have the manual for it somewhere.

My mother had an Echostar 5000 or 7000 (can't remember which) for a while back in the day. It had yellow digits for the sat/channel. The power supply went out on it -VIOLENTLY- she's lucky that damn thing didn't set her house on fire! :eek:

My mother had an Echostar 5000 or 7000 (can't remember which) for a while back in the day. It had yellow digits for the sat/channel. The power supply went out on it -VIOLENTLY- she's lucky that damn thing didn't set her house on fire! :eek:

Echostar that would be Charlies product. He couldn't get it right back in the day either. :eek:

Echostar that would be Charlies product. He couldn't get it right back in the day either. :eek:
Nope he sure couldn't.
I remember before that thing blew up, you could hear everything, on whatever channel you were on, on every sat you went by while changing birds...static hash, talking, noises etc, sometimes LOUD too! After it blew up they got a Uniden UST-9900 -now that was a sweet IRD. I liked that one so much I bought one for myself. I think I paid like $400 for it back in '91. :)

Nope he sure couldn't.
I remember before that thing blew up, you could hear everything, on whatever channel you were on, on every sat you went by while changing birds...static hash, talking, noises etc, sometimes LOUD too! After it blew up they got a Uniden UST-9900 -now that was a sweet IRD. I liked that one so much I bought one for myself. I think I paid like $400 for it back in '91. :)

My first receiver was a Uniden 9900, I got that in Dec of 87. It was a very nice receiver. I used it till I got my Chaparral Monterey 50 in 1990 and ran that till Jan 2006 (the Monty rocked). Then I got the 922 and here I am :).

I can't remember what brand/model my first receiver was. It was one with a continuous tuning knob rather than click/click channel by channel tuning. C band only also. I replaced that when VCII channels started taking over, and got another C band only receiver, which was a Uniden, think something like a 5000 or 6000 or something like that. Both of these were just receivers, not IRDs with built in dish movers, and the Uniden, I had to use with an stand alone VCII cage/module. Finally, the pulse unit went out on my very outdated dish (it had a H-H mount with an optical pulse unit, which had significant electronics out at the dish, and a little wheel with clear and blacked out segments that turned between an LED emmiter/receiver combo. Pretty neat, but I couldn't seem to fix it when it broke, so I ended up buying an entirely new dish (SAMI, C/Ku Corotor feed, and receiver.... the Echostar 7000). That Echostar is still probably the easiest to use receiver I've owned. My main complaint at the time was that it's audio and video bandwidth options didn't have a WIDE mode that would give me good reception on 2 channels, one of which was PBS, that used high deviation audio. But for everything else, it was great. I eventually replaced that with a Drake 1824, which had wide A/V bandwidths, and was fairly user friendly, but not as friendly as the Echostar. I since picked up a Monty 50/55, which was similar in quality to the Drake, but generally harder to use. I continued to use the Drake until if finally started giving me problems about a year or so ago, and am now using the Monty.
But I really liked that Echostar 7000. I bought it back before there were any DBS systems, let alone a Dishnet. I don't know if the Echostar receivers had any connection to Charlie or Dishnet or not. The Echostar line was pretty much exactly the same as the Houston Tracker line, and I never heard any suggestion that that had any connection to DN, but I never checked it out...... don't know if Echostar was a clone of HT or HT was a clone of Echostar. Funny thing though, the Echostar 7000 had a secret keystroke pattern that would allow you to receive several VCII channels that were scrambled in one of those modes where they would come on for a couple seconds of prevue, then go black. Other people would change channels and back to view things, but the Echostar would get you into a mode where it never went black. When my 7000 went bad, I bought a couple parts only HT versions for parts, and ALMOST had the thing working again, until I accidently shorted something out, and the thing died a violent death. Good receiver. However, the most dependable receiver I've ever owned has to be my old Uniden. I bought that thing probably back around 1988 or 1989, and it still works as good as it ever did. Too bad that it doesn't do Ku, and too bad that it doesn't have a dish mover. I still have the stand alone dish mover I used with it though.

Charlie Ergan was the owner of Echosphere, they made Echostar. Houston Tracker was made by Echosphere I believe. On my Monty I could push a few remote buttons and watch VC2 channels that had like 60 seconds of preview all day long :) those were the days...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts