EchoStar: We Have 48 National HD Channels

Marketing Hype

Marketing is the third oldest profession (Politics being the second); I guess starting back when the chuck wagon rolled into town marketing Dr. Zuma’s snake oil guarantee to cure everything!

There’s a sucker born every minute that will believe anything.

Ignorant customers with the help of sales people like at BB, CC and Sears helping to further expand the misinformation to the point that it will be believed as factual.

Show me where I did anything other than correct a totally incorrect statement. Thanks - you can send it to me in a pm if you'd rather.

Sound like someone having too much pride get in the way:)

You called someone making a bogus claim, a word bordered on getting personal, and from that argument I got the impression that you implied E* of using RSNs in the national HD count. Maybe that was not your intention but some people can get such impression.

A member then tried to point out E* did not use RSNs in the national count, you then said I never said they did. OK then it is all cleared up. We misunderstood you, but now you made yourself clear that you did not accuse E* of counting RSNs.

But then you followed up with another post accusing someone trying to twist your words? Why and how so? I did not think such accusation was called for, especially by a staff mamber.

While I agree the numbers game E* is paying is marketing hype, but there is something else at play. E* is obviously trying to poke fun at D* while they still can, by adding enough PPVHDs to make their "national HDs" above what D* has now, and the use of the number 70 (for total HD count) is in clear reference to D*'s long time plan to claim 70 HDs in the initial release.

I don't think E* has the wishful thinking that they can match D* in the short term before their own sats are launched, yet I also do not believe they will be standing still, let D* out-pace them too much in the meantime.

The poking fun part is working though, just listen to all the D* subs' screaming murder:)

While I agree the numbers game E* is paying is marketing hype, but there is something else at play. E* is obviously trying to poke fun at D* while they still can, by adding enough PPVHDs to make their "national HDs" above what D* has now, and the use of the number 70 (for total HD count) is in clear reference to D*'s long time plan to claim 70 HDs in the initial release.

I don't think E* has the wishful thinking that they can match D* in the short term before their own sats are launched, yet I also do not believe they will be standing still, let D* out-pace them too much in the meantime.

The poking fun part is working though, just listen to all the D* subs' screaming murder:)

You honestly think they are doing this strictly as a joke on D*?
I think they are running scared right now, because they know there is very little they can do in the short term to keep pace

You don't have to "look" for new HD channels on DirecTV. HD channels default over SD channels in the guide. If, say, you'd never heard anything at all about Sci-Fi channel being in HD, you'd simply be pleasantly surprised when you turned to channel 244 and it showed up.
Not if you have your guide set to custom 1 or 2, the new channels are automatically added to those guides, you have to manually add them to custom 1 or 2. Without first doing that, if you typed in 244 you would still go to the SD version of SciFi.

I've said it before and I'll see it again: why doesn't D* send out a new mail message to all MPEG4 receivers saying "Hey, check out channel 77 to see all the new HD channels now available."

You honestly think they are doing this strictly as a joke on D*?
I think they are running scared right now, because they know there is very little they can do in the short term to keep pace

Yes that is what I think Charlie is doing, while counting his money as his stock value continue to shoot up, unless you think the reference to 70 HDs is a pure coincidence. You honestly think he is scared of the new D* HDs? Was D* ever scared of E* a year ago when E* had clear lead? You got to be kidding me.

Yes that is what I think Charlie is doing, while counting his money as his stock value continue to shoot up, unless you think the reference to 70 HDs is a pure coincidence. You honestly think he is scared of the new D* HDs? Was D* ever scared of E* a year ago when E* had clear lead? You got to be kidding me.
Maybe not scared, but if you think that he wasnt or isnt concerned that subs may jump ship then i think, respectfully,that you are kidding yourself. It was a psycological way of calming the masses so to speak.

Those press releases have no "calming" effect on people who are considering switching from E* to D* for HDs, because E* HD subs know what HDs E* offers, and what HDs D* has if he is comparing the two, will switch if they want to, E* saying 48 or 70 isn't going to stop them. So yes when they pick a number 70, it is in part to poke fun at D*'s 70 HD plan. Because outside of a few of us, who do you think know the meaning of the number 70, really, why 70? why not 69 or 85?

Of course they are concerned, but not as much as you may give them credit for, because if they are indeed scared, they would have already added all the ones D* now carries, they have the room to do so, or even if they have to stuff 8 HDs on one transponder, if it is so important to them.

Those press releases have no "calming" effect on people who are considering switching from E* to D* for HDs, because E* HD subs know what HDs E* offers, and what HDs D* has if he is comparing the two, will switch if they want to, E* saying 48 or 70 isn't going to stop them. So yes when they pick a number 70, it is in part to poke fun at D*'s 70 HD plan. Because outside of a few of us, who do you think know the meaning of the number 70, really, why 70? why not 69 or 85?

Of course they are concerned, but not as much as you may give them credit for, because if they are indeed scared, they would have already added all the ones D* now carries, they have the room to do so, or even if they have to stuff 8 HDs on one transponder, if it is so important to them.
Perhaps they picked 48 or 70 because the number of channels that they are counting, when added up, equal 48 or 70....

What makes you think they have the room? From what i can find out, half the people you ask say they are maxed out or near it, and the other half say, no, they have tons of bandwidth(which i dont agree with).
If they had this hidden bandwidth, why would they have to drop a HD PPV channel to add TBS HD?

Perhaps they picked 48 or 70 because the number of channels that they are counting, when added up, equal 48 or 70....

Because they added the correct numbers of PPVHDs and NHLHDs and many others to round it up to number 70.

All they need to do is increase per transponder HDs from 6 to 7, that will take care of the new ones for the moment.

They are not scared becaue despite some very loud noise here, actual defection will be negligible. Both E* and D* are aiming at cable subs, as long as D* continues to charge $299 or $199 for leasing an HDDVR (who knews how much for the 2nd, 3rd), E* has nothing to worry about with their no upfront cost 622s, because cable subs are used to no one-time cost and will shy away from the concept of paying $299 upfront just to "lease" a box, no matter how many HDs are available.

As for the existing E* HD subs, some will defect, but most will not because as long as E* continues to add some, and the 622's TV2 option, along with the external archiving capability will likely tie them down, much like the NFL ST on D* was able to tie many D* HD subs down to their limited HDs and poor PQ for the last two years.

Last edited:
Because they added the correct numbers of PPVHDs and NHLHDs and many others to round it up to number 70.

All they need to do is increase per transponder HDs from 6 to 7, that will take care of the new ones for the moment.

They are not scared becaue despite some very loud noise here, actual defection will be negligible. Both E* and D* are aiming at cable subs, as long as D* continues to charge $299 or $199 for leasing an HDDVR (who knews how much for the 2nd, 3rd), E* has nothing to worry about with their no upfront cost 622s, because cable subs are used to no one-time cost and will shy away from the concept of paying $299 upfront just to "lease" a box, no matter how many HDs are available.

As for the existing E* HD subs, some will defect, but most will not because as long as E* continues to add some, and the 622's TV2 option, along with the external archiving capability will likely tie them down, much like the NFL ST on D* was able to tie many D* HD subs down to their limited HDs and poor PQ for the last two years.
adding another channel to a transponder at what cost to PQ? that isnt something to be undertaken lightly

and I have a few no upfront cost D* boxes....yes HR-20 is included in that.

adding another channel to a transponder at what cost to PQ? that isnt something to be undertaken lightly

and I have a few no upfront cost D* boxes....yes HR-20 is included in that.

If both E* and D* can sacrifice MPEG2 PQs for quantity, believe me then can do so for MPEG4 if necessary, the fact E* hasn't done that proves my point they dont see the urgency, not yet. Not to mention that they in fact routinely test more MPEG4 HDs, so they do have room for more, just not freely launch everything under the sky.

I have read many incidences of D* HD subs getting free HDDVRs by calling D* repeatedly, but has yet read one report of a new D* sub getting a free HDDVR deal. Keep in mind this is about how to attract NEW subs. If D* should change the policy on hardware offering for new subs, I will be the first to jump ship, that is unless E* responds in time.

If both E* and D* can sacrifice MPEG2 PQs for quantity, believe me then can do so for MPEG4 if necessary, the fact E* hasn't done that proves my point they dont see the urgency, not yet. Not to mention that they in fact routinely test more MPEG4 HDs, so they do have room for more, just not freely launch everything under the sky.

I have read many incidences of D* HD subs getting free HDDVRs by calling D* repeatedly, but has yet read one report of a new D* sub getting a free HDDVR deal. Keep in mind this is about how to attract NEW subs. If D* should change the policy on hardware offering for new subs, I will be the first to jump ship, that is unless E* responds in time.
They actually have reduced the rez some even on the MPEG 4 channels. That doesnt have much of an effect on PQ, but it helps save some space. And why would they do it if they had so much to spare? So it still doesnt prove your point. Im not saying they dont have SOME room left, but not enough to stay on even footing in the short term, and no one has yet been able to dispute that with any valid reasons.

I was a NEW D* HD sub. less than a year ago, got a FREE HR-20 at sign up+plus free HD for a year. then 6 or so months later got a FREE H-20 + another 4 months of free HD.

I was a NEW D* HD sub. less than a year ago, got a FREE HR-20 at sign up+plus free HD for a year. then 6 or so months later got a FREE H-20 + another 4 months of free HD.

That means you are lucky. I called D* twice and never was offered free HD DVR. I will never switch unless D* will offer free HD DVR. I think 90% E* customers who are willing to switch will just sit until D* will eventually offer free HD DVR. But at that moment E* will probably lunch new satellites and D* will be late:D

That means you are lucky. I called D* twice and never was offered free HD DVR. I will never switch unless D* will offer free HD DVR. I think 90% E* customers who are willing to switch will just sit until D* will eventually offer free HD DVR. But at that moment E* will probably lunch new satellites and D* will be late:D
They didnt "offer" it to me either, I asked for it and got it. I know of alot that have done the same. Why advertise it even if you will do it, when you can sell/lease it for a hefty fee?

They actually have reduced the rez some even on the MPEG 4 channels. That doesnt have much of an effect on PQ, but it helps save some space. And why would they do it if they had so much to spare? So it still doesnt prove your point. Im not saying they dont have SOME room left, but not enough to stay on even footing in the short term, and no one has yet been able to dispute that with any valid reasons.

I agree they do not have enough room to be on the even footing with D* now, but they can add more if they want to, the fact they are not, indicates to me they don't see the urgency yet.

You are the first new sub I read that got a free HDDVR upon request. I have called D* several times and asked the same, even told them I am an E* sub and have free HDDVRs from E*, would like to know if D* can offer a similar deal for me to switch, no luck so far.

The difficult part is D* regularly give free HDDVRs to exsiting subs, I don't know why it is so hard to get them do the same for a new sub. Traditionally new subs are more valuable to the bottomline.

I can understand last year they do so to keep subs from leaving, but now the policy should change to gain new subs, with the new HDs available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)