Edision power off characteristic

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
In my den I have an STB location sharing a monitor with a security system. The Edision is HDMI and the security DVR is VGA. When the Edision is powered down it shuts down the HDMI signal and the monitor switches to the only remaining live input, VGA from the security DVR.
The Edision however will a short time later, while in a powered off state, retake the HDMI port and hold it. I noticed when doing a maintenance reset on the security DVR the monitor would switch to the HDMI port with a blank screen showing. Had me thinking the security DVR had failed for a couple minutes. :(

In my den I have an STB location sharing a monitor with a security system. The Edision is HDMI and the security DVR is VGA. When the Edision is powered down it shuts down the HDMI signal and the monitor switches to the only remaining live input, VGA from the security DVR.
The Edision however will a short time later, while in a powered off state, retake the HDMI port and hold it. I noticed when doing a maintenance reset on the security DVR the monitor would switch to the HDMI port with a blank screen showing. Had me thinking the security DVR had failed for a couple minutes. :(

Read starting here, and EB's post after mine. Set your power off settings the same, and you should then be fine.

New Mio Owner

Basically, set "Startup to Standby" set to yes.

MENU - Setup - System - Customize - Scroll Down to find it, flip it to YES, hit Green button to SAVE.

MIO_Startup_To_Standby_20190213204207.jpg

PS: This leaves USB alive, but video goes down for sure, though WebIF remains alive. Also any G-box or V-box, etc should shutdown into Sleep Mode. If you set timers, it'll wake up, move, record, then do whatever afterwards that you set in the timer screen

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Static
I leave my Edision on all the time. Is there any particular reason you need to power it down?

Different people, have different needs. In my case, I want it to shutdown. Which is really only the FIRST level of Standby. This is NOT the MicroHD, and there's no need to keep it live all the time to keep a clock synced, etc.

Because it's way easier to power down the Edision than to push two buttons on the back of the monitor 8 times in order to switch back to the security DVR.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the TV had separate inputs for both devices and I missed the "sharing" part. I obviously haven't eaten my Wheaties this morning :)

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the TV had separate inputs for both devices and I missed the "sharing" part. I obviously haven't eaten my Wheaties this morning :)
Would be better if it were a TV instead of a monitor. It then would have a remote and a button I could use to select the input instead of running through a whole menu tree with the buttons on the monitor. I have another monitor sharing an STB with my PC and it has a input button on it.
But another important reason for me to shut down the Edision is because it shares control of two motorized dishes with two other receivers and only one may be turned on at a time.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Would be better if it were a TV instead of a monitor. It then would have a remote and a button I could use to select the input instead of running through a whole menu tree with the buttons on the monitor. I have another monitor sharing an STB with my PC and it has a input button on it.
But another important reason for me to shut down the Edision is because it shares control of two motorized dishes with two other receivers and only one may be turned on at a time.

I'm not sure how many newer TV's support a VGA input, though

Read starting here, and EB's post after mine. Set your power off settings the same, and you should then be fine.

New Mio Owner

Basically, set "Startup to Standby" set to yes.

MENU - Setup - System - Customize - Scroll Down to find it, flip it to YES, hit Green button to SAVE.

View attachment 137991

PS: This leaves USB alive, but video goes down for sure, though WebIF remains alive. Also any G-box or V-box, etc should shutdown into Sleep Mode. If you set timers, it'll wake up, move, record, then do whatever afterwards that you set in the timer screen

It appears you are using a different version TNAP than me. I do not have the issue you talked about with the GBox. When I turn off the Edision the LNB power goes off and stays off. Unlike my other receivers when I switch to the ATSC tuner the LNB power shuts off then too. :) It was the HDMI circuit becoming active after shutting down for a short time I noticed. The menu screenshot you posted has different selections than mine. But I'm not doing any timers or recording yet. I do have a HDD installed and tested working :)

That's odd. It was the same in the RC version I had when EB posted that fix, as it is in the FINAL image, which is in a different slot.

Oh, YES, the FINAL image has some additional add-ons on that screen that my RC version didn't. I just was lazy and re-posted the older image from the RC version. However the Startup to Standby feature is still there on the second page, a little higher up on the choices.

I also use an auto HDMI switch, and mine has never "woke up" the HDMI port and ripped it away from another device when in Standby.

I'm a little slow today responding, as I spent yesterday with severe food poisoning, and ended up in the hospital until after Midnight. I'm still not right, BUT, at least it wasn't a heart attack...

Holy Crap Mike...hope you're feeling better.
I had a mild case of food poisoning one time and I felt crappy for like 2 days.
Felt like I had a cannon ball rolling around in my stomach.

John

I'm doing a tiny bit better, but not by much. Still unrelenting gut pain, and can barely eat anything. Water, soft boiled eggs, Gatorade, trying a little chicken noodle soup right now. Must have been some bad Hamburger Helper that I ate a few hours earlier. This is going to cost me a lot, because my insurance is high-deductible. Cat-scan, ECG, Ultrasound, multiple lab tests, and Emergency room. I figure at least $2,500 before my insurance even kicks in.

So much for the vacation I was hoping to have this year. I haven't had one since 2015. We weren't allowed to have a vacation in 2016, as that's when the other company took over, and forced my retirement at the end of September. They paid it out in final pay "in lieu of", but taxes took all the vacation pay. It also beats my wife having to pay for a $14k funeral, as it came across almost like a possible heart attack. That's (my arteries) are still 100% clear, according to the Cat-scan. But I feel like I was sucker-punched on the right-side rib cage, almost like there's a huge air bubble under there, that won't come out.

Well, at least I have an awesome satellite receiver to watch stuff on while I'm laid up.

I'm doing a tiny bit better, but not by much. Still unrelenting gut pain, and can barely eat anything. Water, soft boiled eggs, Gatorade, trying a little chicken noodle soup right now. Must have been some bad Hamburger Helper that I ate a few hours earlier. This is going to cost me a lot, because my insurance is high-deductible. Cat-scan, ECG, Ultrasound, multiple lab tests, and Emergency room. I figure at least $2,500 before my insurance even kicks in.

So much for the vacation I was hoping to have this year. I haven't had one since 2015. We weren't allowed to have a vacation in 2016, as that's when the other company took over, and forced my retirement at the end of September. They paid it out in final pay "in lieu of", but taxes took all the vacation pay. It also beats my wife having to pay for a $14k funeral, as it came across almost like a possible heart attack. That's (my arteries) are still 100% clear, according to the Cat-scan. But I feel like I was sucker-punched on the right-side rib cage, almost like there's a huge air bubble under there, that won't come out.

Well, at least I have an awesome satellite receiver to watch stuff on while I'm laid up.

So sorry to hear this. I had hoped you would be feeling better. Amazing how one little thing can knock the stuffing out of people. I'm wishing you the best in hopes of a speedy recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)