EHD on hopper drops off?

Page 85 of the current Hopper manual states that Hopper only allows one USB device to be attached at a time. I am clearly in violation of that. This may be what's causing my EHD drop offs and my OTA black screens.

Oh right and I bought my V6 so I can only use 3 cylinders at a time, how stupid is dish for that. Give me 3 USB ports and I I need OTA, Sling and EHD, but only pick one to use! I love this hopper, but these companies are so damn short sighted.

Oh right and I bought my V6 so I can only use 3 cylinders at a time, how stupid is dish for that. Give me 3 USB ports and I I need OTA, Sling and EHD, but only pick one to use! I love this hopper, but these companies are so damn short sighted.
The info on the post you referenced...that it referenced...was wrong. Related problems have to do with S230 software...at least in my case.

Last edited:
The manual must've been copied straight from the 722. 722k and older only allow one EHD at a time. That being said, I immediately threw out all the "manuals" for my receivers since they're pretty well worthless anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

DIRT confirmed long ago that the official support is now 2TB...this was before the Hopper came out.

I wasn't talking about hard drive size, I was talking about amount of external hard drives you can have hooked up. Only 1 external hard drive is supported. And yes, the size requirement is 50gb -2TB on both DVR and non DVR models. (211/211k/411)

Only one drive is supported, says who? The manual is useless and outdated so that doesn't count.

What lucky is trying to say is that Dish will support 1 EHD but it will work with more than one. If you have an issue with using that second EHD Dish will not help you....

That's just silly... All I'd have to do is say that I unplugged the other EHD for them to provide support then. I doubt that having one hooked up or two makes any difference. What kind of support would one need anyway? It either works or it doesn't. All they can suggest is to unplug/plug or use a different USB port. Or in some cases, send a re-hit to fix the functionality.

If you were to call in and say that you have 2 EHDs connected and you can only see one, or you are missing recordings from the other, they would most likely tell you that only 1 is supported at any given time. Its not that they wouldn't try to help you, but they would tell you that only 1 is supported at a time. There are lots of reasons someone may call regarding an EHD.

True, it's to make things simpler for the phone "tech support."

DIRT is a LOT more helpful in this regard.

Reminds me of a time when I talked to DIRT about some WHDVR issues I had with my 3-Hopper setup. I showed them the diagram for my unsupported setup and they thought that that could have been the issue.

I didn't think that was the case, though I didn't blame them for thinking that, as I was likely the only person to successfully put 3 Hoppers on the same MoCA network at the time. So it is very well possible that the software engineers didn't even take 3-Hopper networking into consideration.

I still just KNEW that it was a software issue rather than my unsupported setup. About two weeks later a software update was released and from then on WHDVR between the 5 receivers has been nearly flawless.

OK Monday I unplugged my EHD and left it unplugged overnight. Yesterday I plugged it back in. Today for the first time since I got the Hopper on 11/21 my EHD has NOT dropped off overnight. Of course I don't know if that somehow fixed it or it is just a coincidence. We shall see.

FWIW I've been having the same EHD dropping off issues with my 922 since day 1, over 1 1/2 years. I know the Hopper was built on the same platform as the 922 so it would follow that they could have similar problems. I was really hoping that upgrading to Hopper/Joey would make this problem go away for me:(

Since the S 230 update often I can't see both of my external hard drives on the menu so I unplug 1 of them and it shuts down the hopper this is done it 3 nights in a row. So not even touching the hopper just unplugging the external drive shuts down the hopper. Also of subject I can't get Turner Classic Movies the high def channel to go into my favorites once again a problem saving the favorites

Mine has lost the EHD twice already. I don't unplug the USB if it is recording because it will cause a box reset.
They really need to fix this. My 722 never lost the EHD.

Mine has lost the EHD twice already. I don't unplug the USB if it is recording because it will cause a box reset.
They really need to fix this. My 722 never lost the EHD.

I have unplugged and re-plugged my EHD many times without the Hopper resetting at all. I suggest a hard reboot. Unplug the Hopper for 30 seconds then plug it in. Its possible you have an issue with the Hopper. I don't recall seeing any posts about Hopper resetting when the EHD is unplugged.

OK Monday I unplugged my EHD and left it unplugged overnight. Yesterday I plugged it back in. Today for the first time since I got the Hopper on 11/21 my EHD has NOT dropped off overnight. Of course I don't know if that somehow fixed it or it is just a coincidence. We shall see.

It stayed on for 4 days in a row and now it's off again. Thought I had fixed it. Guess not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)