EHD on hopper drops off?

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
Why is my ehd not available on my hopper? I connect the ehd and it works fine at first, 24-48 hours later it won't show up. If I unplug it and plug it back in, then it works fine for another 24-48 hours before its no longer available. Any help?

dhageremtp said:
Why is my ehd not available on my hopper? I connect the ehd and it works fine at first, 24-48 hours later it won't show up. If I unplug it and plug it back in, then it works fine for another 24-48 hours before its no longer available. Any help?

I would check with your EHD manufacturer, this problem sometimes happen when the EHDs have power saving settings active. They basically go into hibernation and lose connection until unplugged and reconnected to spin back up.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'd check and see if there is some sort of "sleep" function enabled on the hard drive. You may have to hook it up to a computer to do so. Check the manual for something like sleep or power savings mode to find how to disable it.

Sent from my Phone using SatelliteGuys

Is it a Seagate drive? Those in particular sometimes have issues with sleep. I use Western Digital Elements drives that sleep automatically with no issue. Drives never disappear.

Its a Western Digital My Book 500gb. Same drive I used on my 722 and I never had this problem. Wonder if it was the drive or the hopper?? And I have tried to use other USB ports without andyu success.

Last edited:
I have experienced the same thing with my WD EHD. I've had my Hopper for a month. It will randomly show the external device, then the next time I look, it is gone. Unplugging and re-plugging the EHD will make it re-appear, but if I do nothing, it will also come back on it's own at some point.
This is the same EHD I used without problem on my old 622...

I have experienced the same thing with my WD EHD. I've had my Hopper for a month. It will randomly show the external device, then the next time I look, it is gone. Unplugging and re-plugging the EHD will make it re-appear, but if I do nothing, it will also come back on it's own at some point.
This is the same EHD I used without problem on my old 622...

Same exact problem for me, but I've only had the Hopper for a day (Western Digital HD that worked fine on 722).

I've noticed this a couple of times, also. I have a 500GB WD My Book that was on my 722. On my Hopper it gets dropped every couple of days. I haven't looked into it much, but I figured it may be a result of the software updates I keep getting.

I am also having this problem with my 640 GB EHD that i used on my 722 without any problems for almost 2 years. It drops off every day. Unplugging and replugging restores it, but gone the next day for whatever reason. I just got this Hopper on Nov 21 so I wasn't sure if this is ongoing problem or not. Has this been reported in the bug thread? Does anyone know if Dish is working on a fix?

I've never had this issue so far *crosses fingers* . I only had it happen once on the 722k in 2 years.

I have mostly WD drives, consists of WD elements and older "retired" WD drives that I pulled from my PC and put in a Rosewill enclosure. I have a Samsung as well that has never had issues. I keep a lot of my drives hooked 24/7 to two of the three Hoppers, they even go into sleep mode and wake up without issue. I have heard over the years that the Seagate drives tend to have more issues (but not always.)

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I my hard drive not recognized for about 4 days in a row when I first got the S230 software, but it stopped and hasn't happened since last week.

I've only had this problem since I got S230. Perhaps a problem with my OTA dongle since they both use USB. EHD is gone again this morning.

Page 85 of the current Hopper manual states that Hopper only allows one USB device to be attached at a time. I am clearly in violation of that. This may be what's causing my EHD drop offs and my OTA black screens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)