ehd question

The only times you need to have the external hard drive on is when you are wanting to transfer recordings to the ehd, trying to watch something saved on the ehd, or if your internal drive is full and you still have timers set.

or if your internal drive is full and you still have timers set.

Are you saying if your hard drive is full on say your 722k, it'll send any timer recordings to your EHD? For example, I wanna record Family Guy, but my 722k is full of Oprah, so then Family Guy will record directly to my EHD?? If that's the case, I wasn't aware of that. I don't think that's the case, but I may be wrong.

If I hook up a ehd to my 722k do I have to keep it turned on and running 24/7 if I'm using it to make room on my reciver

My EHD is "Plugged" in all the time, but it isn't "ON" until the receiver needs to access the infprmation on it, or I am transferring something. I thought most have a sleep mode after sitting idle for a certain amount of time.

Are you saying if your hard drive is full on say your 722k, it'll send any timer recordings to your EHD? For example, I wanna record Family Guy, but my 722k is full of Oprah, so then Family Guy will record directly to my EHD?? If that's the case, I wasn't aware of that. I don't think that's the case, but I may be wrong.

You have to go to the menu and preferences and record plus (menu 8 5) and then select ERD Setup and enable recordings to external device.

The ERD setup is for using a pocket dish device. Unless a recent unannounced feature of a software update has enabled this for external hard drives, recording to external devices has not been possible on the HD Duo dvrs. They have been strictly storage only.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I know with the 211 or 211k you can record directly to the ehd and I was under the impression that when the internal storage was full it would do the same with the duo receivers. I am correcting myself because it looks like on the DUO receivers the ehd only acts as an archive and recordings must be transferred.

I know with the 211 or 211k you can record directly to the ehd and I was under the impression that when the internal storage was full it would do the same with the duo receivers. I am correcting myself because it looks like on the DUO receivers the ehd only acts as an archive and recordings must be transferred.

Maybe you can make a suggestion to the DISH engineers to enable that functionality ;) .

I have 622's and the latest software release gives me the option to record directly to the external drive when I set up a timer. Don't know about whether it diverts to EHD when receiver is full.

... on the DUO receivers the ehd only acts as an archive and recordings must be transferred.
Same for the Solo 612. ;) Note also that, during a transfer in either direction, you can't do anything else with the EHD, such as watch some other previously recorded program. One wonders how even feeble-minded receivers such as the 522 could record to the PocketDish, but the VIP receivers cannot. :(

I have 622's and the latest software release gives me the option to record directly to the external drive when I set up a timer. Don't know about whether it diverts to EHD when receiver is full.
That option has been around from the get to. But again, it's for Pocketdish, not EHD

That option has been around from the get to. But again, it's for Pocketdish, not EHD

I don't really know what the "Pocket Dish" is, but I do know that my 622's are recording direct to my 2 GB drives as I type this. I have a timer set to record all episodes of Law and Order SVU for my wife and they go directly to the EHD's. USA must run a dozen a day. 60 episodes so far and growing. I have the priority set for "last" and they record whenever the machines aren't doing anything else. The machine even checks for duplicates on the EHD and skips those, just like it does on the internal drive. I mention this because when just archiving recordings to the EHD, duplicates are not checked and do exist.

I did not have this option until the latest software release which for me was about a month or so ago.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread so please excuse the interruption. I know it was originally for the 722's.

I don't really know what the "Pocket Dish" is, but I do know that my 622's are recording direct to my 2 GB drives as I type this. I have a timer set to record all episodes of Law and Order SVU for my wife and they go directly to the EHD's. USA must run a dozen a day. 60 episodes so far and growing. I have the priority set for "last" and they record whenever the machines aren't doing anything else. The machine even checks for duplicates on the EHD and skips those, just like it does on the internal drive. I mention this because when just archiving recordings to the EHD, duplicates are not checked and do exist.

I did not have this option until the latest software release which for me was about a month or so ago.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread so please excuse the interruption. I know it was originally for the 722's.
Are you sure they are being recorded directly to the EHD? I just checked the software releases and couldn't find anything and also couldn't duplicate it here.

This would be a heck of a shock if so. A very nice shock.