Enjoy 107w While It Lasts

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi all,

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the CTV mux was transitioned over to 119w today.
This probably means that 107w’s time is coming to an end for most of us.
I read there is other work in store for this satellite, but most of us will be unable to view its new “occupation.”
I’m looking to see if there is an outside chance I can receive 119w, but I’m not hopeful.

John

• Sad
Reactions: TRG and FTA4PA
I would imagine that 119W would be viewable for MA. Anyway, scanned in here fine at 14.5 dB.

johnnynobody,

119w is viewable in Mass, but trees are my obstacle. There is a slim chance I may be able to view through a small space in the trees. Time will tell.

John
Yep, I have the same problem. I can get the APTN 4144V at a very low level, but they are encrypted. None of the others come in. So, the CTV channels are going to be a great loss to me...

Yep, I have the same problem. I can get the APTN 4144V at a very low level, but they are encrypted. None of the others come in. So, the CTV channels are going to be a great loss to me...
I did a rescan last night, and I can now get all the DVB-S transponders at about 5.11dB, but I can NOT get the DVB-S2 ones. Not even a hint of signal for those. My dish is a 7.5ft though, and is aiming through a notch in the tree tops. It might work if I had a 10 footer up. Debating whether or not I want to go to all the trouble of installing a 10 footer anymore. Most everything I like to watch, comes in well enough now.

I did a rescan last night, and I can now get all the DVB-S transponders at about 5.11dB, but I can NOT get the DVB-S2 ones. Not even a hint of signal for those. My dish is a 7.5ft though, and is aiming through a notch in the tree tops. It might work if I had a 10 footer up. Debating whether or not I want to go to all the trouble of installing a 10 footer anymore. Most everything I like to watch, comes in well enough now.
Well, you can't get it from Beta Omicron.......

Reactions: clucas and k.r.
Well, you can't get it from Beta Omicron.......
No, I have a big treeline border of maple trees that's basically blocking the majority of signal from that satellite. There's a big notch between the tops of two trees right there though. So, it lets through enough signal for the DVB-S signals to get through for my 7.5ft dish. I'm thinking if I had a 10ft dish though, I MIGHT have enough signal to also get the DVB-S2 signals through that notch.

No, I have a big treeline border of maple trees that's basically blocking the majority of signal from that satellite. There's a big notch between the tops of two trees right there though. So, it lets through enough signal for the DVB-S signals to get through for my 7.5ft dish. I'm thinking if I had a 10ft dish though, I MIGHT have enough signal to also get the DVB-S2 signals through that notch.
I was just making fun of the location that you listed in your profile.......I guess I better not give up my day job.......

Has there been any announced date as to when all the C-band stuff will permanently leave 107°? I've seen people speculate that it will be around the end of August but I just wondered if there has been any official announcement. I think that the dish I use to receive 107° also has a clear view over to 118.8° but just barely, but am a bit reluctant to move it any sooner than I have to because it has been working so well right where it's at.

Reactions: TRG
Sad news. I've had the BUD parked on 107 for the past few years, the picture is better and even the commercials are better. Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Reactions: TRG
ancient,

I heard sometime in December that 107w will go quiet for us. It will still be used for other purposes that will be unavailable to us, however. This will end my Canadian TV viewing.

John

Reactions: c-spand
ancient,

I heard sometime in December that 107w will go quiet for us. It will still be used for other purposes that will be unavailable to us, however. This will end my Canadian TV viewing.

John
Thanks, I hope you are right and it is later in the year, because it will be much easier to retune my dish after all the leaves are off the trees and also after solar outage time in October when I can get a better idea of whether that F3 satellite really is clear of the trees relative to my dish. I know it's going to be really close but I think I will have a clear view of Anik F3. Also it's a lot nicer trying to retune a dish when the weather isn't hot and humid, and every mosquito in the county isn't attacking!

Reactions: JFOK