equipment stagnation

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Md
its been so long since directv, or dish, has released a new receiver.
anyone think something new will come? or are the companies happy with what they have?
im still on an hr34 with an hr24 on room 2. i really do not want the hs17.
but its been so long, i think i need an equipment refresh sooner or later

Reactions: AZ.
its been so long since directv, or dish, has released a new receiver.
anyone think something new will come? or are the companies happy with what they have?
im still on an hr34 with an hr24 on room 2. i really do not want the hs17.
but its been so long, i think i need an equipment refresh sooner or later
DEPENDS on Who is your current Account holder --If you are currently with D*TV call 1-800-531-5000 or solid signal --if your Account was moved to AT&T --Then your only option is HS-17 and mini's only --AT&T is moving to all streaming when ever possible and not supplying any "OLD" equipment replacements --SO only new receivers from AT&T would be streaming boxes.

The Jury is still out on the "NEW" D*TV if they will offer any newer receivers or continue with supporting current replacements depending on what amount of Re-turned equipment that they still have control over.

would be nice to get some new stuff. an upgraded hr-54 as a new hr-64 with a faster processor, and higher capacity hdd. perhaps 7200 rpm drives or ssd's with high tbw ratings. i dont see the ssd happening though, but it could. i use one myself, works great so far.

*edit* other than the removal of the esata port, anyone know if the hr54-r1 has upgraded internals such as cpu?

would be nice to get some new stuff. an upgraded hr-54 as a new hr-64 with a faster processor, and higher capacity hdd. perhaps 7200 rpm drives or ssd's with high tbw ratings. i dont see the ssd happening though, but it could. i use one myself, works great so far.

*edit* other than the removal of the esata port, anyone know if the hr54-r1 has upgraded internals such as cpu?
No. No upgrades

I would not expect any new equipment from Directv. The only rumor I have heard is they may rerelease the SAT to function like the Stream app in your home and get its signal from the HS17 So basically if you have a HS17 you could use your fire stick to watch TV

streaming is not an option.
like many rural people, i have no broadband options
Streaming is not a decent replacement for traditional television service.
Some people make the transition and are happy with it, but it's just not the same.

Simplying turning on the tv and flipping through channels is a different experience than having to boot up a streaming device, launch an app and navigate a menu.

I know plenty of folks who aren't rural and have decent internet prefer traditional cable or satellite.

Streaming is not a decent replacement for traditional television service.
Some people make the transition and are happy with it, but it's just not the same.

Simplying turning on the tv and flipping through channels is a different experience than having to boot up a streaming device, launch an app and navigate a menu.

I know plenty of folks who aren't rural and have decent internet prefer traditional cable or satellite.
I can boot up my ATV and be in the Directv Stream app faster then my HR54 shows a picture.

I can boot up my ATV and be in the Directv Stream app faster then my HR54 shows a picture.
Not sure which box that one is but my receiver usually is a live channel by the time my tv is turned on.
That being said, I'm set in my ways. :hiding

That rambling post was made by a feller who just had to buy a new flip cell-phone because my old one wasn't going to have a network to operate on after Dec. 31st. :biggrin2

Reactions: John2021
I strongly doubt we will see any new hardware released. If anything, when they need a production run of either HR54 or HS17, and a chipset is no longer available, they may order the same device with an updated chipset and adjust the software as needed.

If they were developing new hardware (they aren't), we would have had a primary Genie box that supports 4K (HR54 replacement). But we haven't, their solution is to use a Genie and a mini-client for 4k.

They'll pull equipment back and refurbish until it hits 5 years and is depreciated / wrote off. They'll have limited production of stuff as needed. Eventually the customer base will shrink, the equipment will be pretty dated, and the satellites will reach end of life, and they'll figure an end date. That's probably still 10-15 years out though, if not more. They'll make a profit by doing nothing new.

Eventually programming will start to constrain. Good chance Sunday Ticket will end with this current season. Select channels won't be renewed (Bloomberg recently for example). They'll hold out on sports as long as is practical because that is a niche that other carriers have walked away from.

Anyway, "stagnation" as the op said, is very much their future.

I strongly doubt we will see any new hardware released. If anything, when they need a production run of either HR54 or HS17, and a chipset is no longer available, they may order the same device with an updated chipset and adjust the software as needed.

If they were developing new hardware (they aren't), we would have had a primary Genie box that supports 4K (HR54 replacement). But we haven't, their solution is to use a Genie and a mini-client for 4k.

They'll pull equipment back and refurbish until it hits 5 years and is depreciated / wrote off. They'll have limited production of stuff as needed. Eventually the customer base will shrink, the equipment will be pretty dated, and the satellites will reach end of life, and they'll figure an end date. That's probably still 10-15 years out though, if not more. They'll make a profit by doing nothing new.

Eventually programming will start to constrain. Good chance Sunday Ticket will end with this current season. Select channels won't be renewed (Bloomberg recently for example). They'll hold out on sports as long as is practical because that is a niche that other carriers have walked away from.

Anyway, "stagnation" as the op said, is very much their future.
what's your thoughts on both of them merging together dish and direct.. i know that idea has been flying around for a while...

Reactions: c-spand
It is not just new Boxes they are not making, it is also no more new Satellites, planned, made or launched.

The last one went up in 2019, so DirecTV is in better shape then Dish, their last Satellite went up in 2010, also not building any new ones.

For those who do not like streaming, sorry, it is the future, I give it about 10 years at the most, hopefully by then the rural divide will be fixed, StarLink is just one example.

Interesting that you mention merge. As Directv has leased a few sats to Dish when Dish had sat failure along with Bell Tv which is Dish Canada. But I would rather have competition is good.

Reactions: John2021

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)