Error 015 Caused by USB hard drive

mpinch

Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Thought I would share what seems to be an issue with the 722 when getting stuck at 0 of 5 on the error 015 acquiring screen after the 3am update.

I am a long time reader of this forum when considering moving to dish from cable and also when trying to search for the cause of this problem. 1st time poster. Thanks for a great forum!

Had a 722 installed 10 days ago in an eastern arc installation. Love almost everything about it and it definitely kicks Time Warner's SA8300HD's butt.

After 2nd day, started getting the Error 015 after the 3am update. If I went to the point dish screen long enough to get a green bar, then the 722 would complete the acquisition and worked fine, every day. But no scheduled recordings occurred until I went to the point dish screen. All channels were being received, no glitches, good signal strength.

Had a technician come out and he replaced the 722 and checked everything, confirmed signal strength and line of sight.

Next morning same issue. Called dish and they sent the technician out again. I figured out that we could schedule the update for a few minutes in the future and replicate the problem every single time. He isolated things from ground, replaced the lnb, separator, unplugged the OTA and ethernet, and after nothing else worked, replaced the 722 again. Then we tested it and it worked! Then the tech left and I realized that the usb hard drive was not plugged in. Hmmm, wonder if it is the hard drive? So I ran the update via the timer with and without the hard drive several times. Then with and without a different USB hard drive with a different USB cable. The results were clear - the external hard drive was contributing to the problem. Both hard drives work just fine with the 722, so there appears to be no other incompatibility. I tried both hard drives plugged through a surge suppressor and straight into the wall. The polarity is correct on the plugs.

I conclude that there is an issue with the 722 when working with some USB hard drives (mine was a 1TB Apricorn and a 320GB Seagate drive in a hard drive enclosure). For now, I am turning off the USB drive except when I need it.

Has anyone else seen this? I haven't seen it on any of the forums. I hope it helps others who may have this problem.

Software = L614

Thanks,
Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)