ESPN and ESPN2 no longer available 1/1/07

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
Didn't see this posted yet, so I thought I'd better start a thread. Over on the 4DTV forum, John Ferguson has reported that ESPN and ESPN2 will not be made available to 4DTV systems when they go digital at the end of the year. The reason that Disney gave NPS was that the 4DTV receivers were not able to implement blackouts for sporting events. John did indicate that the other channels going digital would be made available.

Got it on E*HD here as well, to me HD is pretty good enough for me.

But now I hope for some first gen of the other analogs, that would be fantastic!

There are only a few channels I consider must haves, and these were 2 of them. I don't want to have to use something other than the BUD to get everything I need. I shudder at the thought of having to subscribe to basic cable, and won't even consider a pizza dish at all. The big issue for me is Nascar going to ESPN next year. I will have the Quali-TV here this week though. As long as I can always find a backhaul I'll survive I suppose.

I will have the Quali-TV here this week though. As long as I can always find a backhaul I'll survive I suppose.
I always watch/prefer my Quali-tv (wild feed) over my E* ESPN HD or ESPN2 HD, when one can be found? I'm sure you will be a happy camper, even as quirky as the Quali-tv is?

Al

...reported that ESPN and ESPN2 will not be made available to 4DTV systems when they go digital at the end of the year. The reason that Disney gave NPS was that the 4DTV receivers were not able to implement blackouts for sporting events.

4DTV receivers not able to implement blackouts? Is that for real? I can remember back in the old Videocipher II days that occasionally I would see a sporting event blacked out in my area. The 4DTV units must be capable of blackouts.. !?

4DTV receivers not able to implement blackouts? Is that for real? I can remember back in the old Videocipher II days that occasionally I would see a sporting event blacked out in my area. The 4DTV units must be capable of blackouts.. !?

The 4dtv can do blackouts, just not the same way the networks want it to be done these days.

Disney became a profits-over-people company a long time ago. The blackout excuse is a lot of horse manure. Apparently the idea that goodwill is worth something is archaic. FWIW, except for live events you can't get anywhere else, ESPN is overblown hype anyway. It is a shame they got NASCAR contract.

Rocky

theres always the C/Ku/DBS Feedhorn (Precision brand at Skyvision) then i guess that means getting the reciever too, NO! Those Cband murderers suck!

ESPN is overblown hype anyway.

EXACTLY! Seems like I always see talk/sportscenter everytime I go over there, except for the occasional game on the weekend.

I won't miss it, but feel bad for those who will.

Now messing with TBS and the Braves will be a different story!

Espn, Espn2

I talked to satelliteprogramming.com yesterday and they said the following: "Hello,
ESPN, and ESPN2 are being moved over to the digital side by the end of the year. If you have a digital receiver you will still be able to receive this programming. If you don't have a digital receiver you may want to consider investing in one as everything eventually will be moving over to the digital side.
Thanks"

How can Disney/ABC/ESPN offer programming to one reseller, and not to NPS?
Plus with NPS pushing SUD's [small, ugly, dishes] out the door, and getting $200 per conversion, it's clear why they won't fight hard for c-band.

A letter writing campaign to Disney/
ABC/ESPN, Congress, Nielsen, advertisers that use ESPN is the only thing that might work. Also if anyone has any web space, putting up a page explaining how ESPN is violating common decency would also be helpful. Banning a whole segment of society from watching NASCAR, is something more in line with Microsoft - type practices, than what has been expected of a good corporate citizen that receives many government tax breaks paid for by C-Band owners as well as the other USA citizens.

MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/11/home-theater-regulations.html

John

dsr922, 10' aluminum mesh, C + KU Chaparral feedhorn, LCD projector, 8' screen, 600 watt kenwood

I talked to satelliteprogramming.com yesterday and they said the following: "Hello,
ESPN, and ESPN2 are being moved over to the digital side by the end of the year. If you have a digital receiver you will still be able to receive this programming. If you don't have a digital receiver you may want to consider investing in one as everything eventually will be moving over to the digital side.
Thanks"

How can Disney/ABC/ESPN offer programming to one reseller, and not to NPS?
Plus with NPS pushing SUD's [small, ugly, dishes] out the door, and getting $200 per conversion, it's clear why they won't fight hard for c-band.

A letter writing campaign to Disney/
ABC/ESPN, Congress, Nielsen, advertisers that use ESPN is the only thing that might work. Also if anyone has any web space, putting up a page explaining how ESPN is violating common decency would also be helpful. Banning a whole segment of society from watching NASCAR, is something more in line with Microsoft - type practices, than what has been expected of a good corporate citizen that receives many government tax breaks paid for by C-Band owners as well as the other USA citizens.

John

dsr922, 10' aluminum mesh, C + KU Chaparral feedhorn, LCD projector, 8' screen, 600 watt kenwood

Well, we know who always falls for the practical jokes......

Thanks"

John

I think whoever you spoke to had old information. SPS is a NPS reseller, so they won't be able to sell anything that NPS can't. Originally NPS thought they'd be able to reuplink ESPN, so I'd guess the CSR you spoke with was looking at old info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)