ESPN's 30 for 30

cosmo_kramer said:
For the small percentage that will make the money??

Absolutely. Eventhough less than 1% make it to pro..ALL that are awarded a scholarship have full intention of assuming they can go pro. Why not offer it as a minor as part of a accounting/business administration course.

It's hard to teach common sense.

I love how the blame for this somehow goes on the college. Maybe the Players Associations need to do more than some symposium. They're taking union dues, maybe they should do something else than trying to get every last dime.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It's hard to teach common sense.

I love how the blame for this somehow goes on the college. Maybe the Players Associations need to do more than some symposium. They're taking union dues, maybe they should do something else than trying to get every last dime.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Ok...this is where I think you are missing the boat. Common sense is easy when you have DONE it before or someone close to you has done it before. But at 21, and a millionaire ...in some cases 100 to 200 times over. AND never having money like that before...common sense is no where in the neighborhood. You said it yourself, you have FAMILY taking advantage of you. You have NO ONE you can really trust...so you decided on trusting no one but yourself...and you have NO experience on how to handle that much money and that much responsibility.

A perfect storm.

I did not blame the college, but they have some responsibility because as much as that kid is using college to become a pro athlete...that college is using him a 100 times over to get the big TV contract, fund MOST of the sports at the university...then recruit the NEXT guy that they will replace him in the next 2 or 3 years.

non of that matters when a person is missing common sense. you can't teach it, so either you have it or you don't. if you don't then be prepared to struggle in life no matter what your talents may be. no matter what your circumstances may be........ that's my opinion and does not represent this site nor its members :p

Rey said:
non of that matters when a person is missing common sense. you can't teach it, so either you have it or you don't. if you don't then be prepared to struggle in life no matter what your talents may be. no matter what your circumstances may be........ that's my opinion and does not represent this site nor its members :p

Rey...did you have the common sense at 19, 20 or 21? Oh yeah, WITH a few million to boot? Nope...and neither did I. You nor I can sit here and say would have done things differently because we have not been there.

Money does strange things to people... imagine a kid at 19 or 20..who just "hit the lottery"...

Rey...did you have the common sense at 19, 20 or 21? Oh yeah, WITH a few million to boot? Nope...and neither did I. You nor I can sit here and say would have done things differently because we have not been there.

Money does strange things to people... imagine a kid at 19 or 20..who just "hit the lottery"...
Speaking of lottery winners, the news is full of stories of people blowing all of that money too. Common sense has to prevail with them, and the athletes too...

Yep I would've because I actually have common sense and parents who would've never taken advantage of me. They taught me since I was a child the value of a dollar. Everyone is raised differently,that's why I can say what I would've done. Where were those parents of these kids ? Oh yeah I know, I have some family like that too who know better not to ask me for a dime because they know I'm not dumb enough to lend it to them. That only call when They want something. you'd be surprised to know what I was doing at 19. Then you would understand my position. I am a compassionate person but most of those cases I saw on "broke" will not get any from me. Not when there are so many who even struggle to have one hot meal a day.

And I agree COMPLETELY.... but since when is someone out of the blue... being a millionaire 100 times over....common sense?

It's common sense with respect to what should happen first. You know when you hear that there is a big Powerball winner and they show up at the lottery HQ the next day to collect their winnings, those folks are most likely going to have issues down the road. The ones that take their time and get their advice will probably fare better. Same principle with the athletes...

It's common sense with respect to what should happen first. You know when you hear that there is a big Powerball winner and they show up at the lottery HQ the next day to collect their winnings, those folks are most likely going to have issues down the road. The ones that take their time and get their advice will probably fare better. Same principle with the athletes...

I do not believe it is that its not that easy to convince a 20 year and the "Broke" documentary proves it. Very few have come out in good shape and even those that did it the right way, they had family and close friends screw them over.

Like I said, money makes people do and act really weird and strange.

Excellent 30-for-30 on the best basketball high school player to ever come out of Chicago that was shot over a stupid argument..."Benji". Sad, sad story of this gifted player.

I had forgotten about this story. To me, even sadder than the Len Bias because of all of the lives this tragedy changed and affected.

Last edited:
Hard for me to watch after 15 minutes. People talk A LOT of crap of how THEY would have done it differently...but you just don't know. As MOST college athletes, you had nothing...suddenly at ages as early as 19...you are a millionaire 10 to 100 times over for the 1st time ever. You have family and friends...those you trust taking the biggest advantage of you. Very sad....

Ripped from the headlines....

Family members have been pressuring Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Tyron Smith for money, sources told ESPNDallas.com.

According to a police report obtained by the Dallas Morning News, a 911 call was made after family members showed up at Smith's North Dallas home and proceeded to "harass and torment" him "in the pursuit of collecting financial gain."

Source: Tyron Smith battles family

Since I for some reason couldn't add to the existing thread from last December, I'll start another....

Anyone else catch the latest 30 for 30?? ELWAY TO MARINO

Excellent insight about leading up to the 1983 NFL draft and the behind the scenes on draft day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)