ESPN's 30 for 30

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Since I for some reason couldn't add to the existing thread from last December, I'll start another....

Anyone else catch the latest 30 for 30?? ELWAY TO MARINO

Excellent insight about leading up to the 1983 NFL draft and the behind the scenes on draft day...

not yet but it's sitting and waiting on my dvr. can't wait to see it!

I watched it, was intresting the way it all went down with elway. I had heard of how it went down, this added a bit more of insight

Two other things that stood out for me:

Jim Kelly's original stance back in 1983 about playing in Buffalo. Did those soundbites come back to haunt him a few years later after his USFL stint?

Was curious about the draft room shown during the film. It had to be a re-creation. Since it was a hotel ballroom, there was no way it still was in that condition. The details are pretty incredible...

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000162407/30-for-30-Making-of-the-1983-Draft-Room[/video]

Two other things that stood out for me:

Jim Kelly's original stance back in 1983 about playing in Buffalo. Did those soundbites come back to haunt him a few years later after his USFL stint?

Was curious about the draft room shown during the film. It had to be a re-creation. Since it was a hotel ballroom, there was no way it still was in that condition. The details are pretty incredible...

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000162407/30-for-30-Making-of-the-1983-Draft-Room[/video]

The best part of the entire episode to me was the notes kept by the agent of both Marino AND Elway.

I was FURIOUS at my Raiders AND FURIOUS at the NFL Commissioner Rozelle. For those of you who have not seen it, you will see why.

Salsa, no offense to you, but sometimes the Raiders play that "woe is me" card. I mean every single thing that happens, the Raiders feel like there always getting screwed. The 83 Draft, moving from LA to Oakland, saying that they got screwed in the AFC Title games against Pittsburgh, The Immaculate Reception etc.

I did watch the 30 for 30 with the 1983 Draft and its fantastic. I mean they actually recreated the War Room from 1983 and showed actual footage from the draft.

Salsa, no offense to you, but sometimes the Raiders play that "woe is me" card. I mean every single thing that happens, the Raiders feel like there always getting screwed. The 83 Draft, moving from LA to Oakland, saying that they got screwed in the AFC Title games against Pittsburgh, The Immaculate Reception etc.

I did watch the 30 for 30 with the 1983 Draft and its fantastic. I mean they actually recreated the War Room from 1983 and showed actual footage from the draft.

LOL! I love when people start a sentence with "no offense, but....".;)

There is no doubt they got screwed out of Elway. But, then shot themselves in the foot by NOT picking up Marino. The Immaculate Reception was just dumb luck that Franco Harris was at the right place at the right time..I am sure you do not think that was planned.:p I don't think we got screwed at all there. As far as moving from LA to Oakland... they are still getting screwed there. The city promised a new stadium if they moved back... the team is still playing in the oldest football stadium used by a professional football team...and still waiting.

Just read that there is a 30 for 30 in the works for the Bad Boys (Detroit Pistons of the late 80's early 90's) for those that may not know :)

Last edited:
Just read that there is a 30 for 30 in the works for the Bad Boys (Detroit Pistons of the late 80's early 90's) for those that may not know :)

THAT will be a very good one. THE only way it would disappointing is if there is no other side to those guys other than their bad boy self.

the 30 for 30 series is back....

last week was Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau

this week (tonight) is on the Spirits of St Louis (the old ABA team)

It's not a 30 for 30, but The Book of Manning was outstanding. Seeing the old footage of Archie and the home movies of his boys when they were small was cool...

It's not a 30 for 30, but The Book of Manning was outstanding. Seeing the old footage of Archie and the home movies of his boys when they were small was cool...

I thought the home movie piece was great, hilarious seeing the brother interaction and why they did at a early age

The last one about the Spirits of St. Louis is good. The Salinas brothers must have the best deal ever in sports or anything else. They have raked in over $250 million for not having an NBA team.

No Mas is next week. That looks pretty good. I never knew the backstory to all of that. I was into boxing back then so that may interest me.

The last one about the Spirits of St. Louis is good. The Salinas brothers must have the best deal ever in sports or anything else. They have raked in over $250 million for not having an NBA team.

looks like that deal is now dead
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nba-pay-two-brothers-500-165704100.html

The NBA will pay two brothers $500 million to end a deal that required the league to give the former ABA owners an annual share of the league's television revenue according to Richard Sandomir of The New York Times.

As part of the NBA-ABA merger in 1976, Ozzie and Daniel Silna accepted a share of the NBA's "visual media" rights in exchange for folding their ABA franchise, the Spirits of St. Louis. The deal was to last "in perpetuity." With the growth of the NBA and its television revenue, the brothers were receiving 1.9% of the revenue in recent years, or about $17.7 million annually.

looks like that deal is now dead
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nba-pay-two-brothers-500-165704100.html

The NBA will pay two brothers $500 million to end a deal that required the league to give the former ABA owners an annual share of the league's television revenue according to Richard Sandomir of The New York Times.

As part of the NBA-ABA merger in 1976, Ozzie and Daniel Silna accepted a share of the NBA's "visual media" rights in exchange for folding their ABA franchise, the Spirits of St. Louis. The deal was to last "in perpetuity." With the growth of the NBA and its television revenue, the brothers were receiving 1.9% of the revenue in recent years, or about $17.7 million annually.

$500 million is a pretty good settlement. I would take that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)