Express Vu/Star Choice Satellite

bryan27 said:
It has always been that way even during and before the old C-Band days. Both of these channels started out as a regional pay channel (much like how HBO started) and they both wanted to maintain their regional exclusivity.

I have heard that national rates for the US Hollywood movies are too expensive so each maintains its regional exclusivity. Population may have something to do with it also, there just simply isn't enough premimum service households to support 2 national services. Sort of like the lesser of two evils, better to have two regional services than having one national and one go out of business.

Back in the mid 80's there was a national premimum service, but it only lasted a few years.

thanks for the info :)
Bev does the same thing. On the brochure the mini-packs with a check mark can have the channels purchased individually for something like a $1.50 so that you can create your own mini-pack. It's cheaper just to buy a couple of the mini-packs though.

It would sure be nice if we could have the same flexibility here in the states.
Bev is 2.50 a piece
SC ranges from .99 to 2.99

I wish it was possible here too :)

Kryspy said:
bookwalk,

Yes, the HDD 200 and 201 both work with Starchoice to decode HD. The sidecar works with all the 4xx receivers such as the 401 and 405 inclusive.

Kryspy

What is the difference between the HDD 200 and the 201? Do they both, then, work with a 4dtv 922 and also which of the Star Choice basic SD recivers do they work with?

Even though I have a 4DTV receiver from GI, I might think of waiting; and getting the new 530 DRV receiver to match up with my old BUD. The american sidecar didn't even have DVI or Component outputs. Don't know about the Can version.

gutter,

Candian HDD 201 had component output.

bookwalk,

Both the HDD 200 and 201 will work. Bit of a hassle, IMHO though, Just plonk the $400 Can for the DSR 500 HD receivere or the $599 CAN for the HD DVR.

Crispy

OK, so my questions are here again... :)

The problems I'm facing:

I HAVE to have CSI of CBS, "L Word" of Showtime and SciFi, Speed channels, no matter what. IF these Canadians carry these shows UNTOUCHED but rebranded, that's great - if they don't, I'll have to have some standard US package (presumably cable? dunno) but then together the two package is technically the same as one all-in-one here...
The only reason would be still go with Can if I'd be able to hook up a JVC 30k via firewire - any trick? I've checked 169time and they do sell some stuff for Evu... :confused:

Kryspy said:
gutter,

Candian HDD 201 had component output.

bookwalk,

Both the HDD 200 and 201 will work. Bit of a hassle, IMHO though, Just plonk the $400 Can for the DSR 500 HD receivere or the $599 CAN for the HD DVR.

Crispy

I agree and my GI 4dtv is about 10 years old or so. I got my value out of it Motorola marketing has already said that to them the sidecar is now dead and no plans to make a new 4dtv receiver with HD capability.

T2k said:
OK, so my questions are here again... :)

The problems I'm facing:

I HAVE to have CSI of CBS, "L Word" of Showtime and SciFi, Speed channels, no matter what. IF these Canadians carry these shows UNTOUCHED but rebranded, that's great - if they don't, I'll have to have some standard US package (presumably cable? dunno) but then together the two package is technically the same as one all-in-one here...
The only reason would be still go with Can if I'd be able to hook up a JVC 30k via firewire - any trick? I've checked 169time and they do sell some stuff for Evu... :confused:

CSI is on CBS & CTV untouched (sans commericlas)
Speed is the US verison
Space is close to Sci-Fi (don't know what you want there)
never heard of L Word...edit: checked the guide and it is on "Showcase"

Easiest way to see if your favourite program is on is check the guide :)
http://www.starchoice.com/english/whatsontv/default.asp
a zip that works is P7E6E2

While it may be promising for some I just am not thrilled over how I understand the HD channels to work. From what I gather some of them are not 24/7 but instead one thing then at certain time changes to something else. Is that a correct understanding or am I once more misinformed?

Now we hear a bit of news Dish might get some of the Voom21...but it sounds like not before sometime in 06 since he wants mpg4 inplace 1st, DTV is putting up 3 sats and they too promise by end of yr maybe more HD. What was explained to me on DTV situation is that there will be like 150 National HD's and then another sat will be giving em 1500 channels that are planned to be used for the HD locals (it was a CSR trying to convince me to stay with DTV this time so take it with a grain of salt I reckon). This isnt the first time I've been told this from DTV so either its a pat answer to try and placate potential or current customers or its the offical plan of DTV. Either way seems none of the Sat services are gonna do something in the short term to increase thier HD offerings so will stick with my decision to give Comcast a shot. At least they do seem to slip a new hd channel in once in a while and maybew with Voom closing they will pick up a few that have less distro now that V21 is gonna go byebye (cries profusly) :river

bratboy said:
While it may be promising for some I just am not thrilled over how I understand the HD channels to work. From what I gather some of them are not 24/7 but instead one thing then at certain time changes to something else. Is that a correct understanding or am I once more misinformed?
ExpressVu has dedicated channels for HD...but they are mostly upconverts
StarChoice uses "omnibus" channels (they get these from CanCom which they own. This goes to cable copmapnies and SC)..
Example--One channel is for CBS...it usually is CBS East (Detroit) but from 11-2 Eastern it becomes CBS W (Seattle) for the west coast HD feeds.

gutter said:
Even though I have a 4DTV receiver from GI, I might think of waiting; and getting the new 530 DRV receiver to match up with my old BUD. The american sidecar didn't even have DVI or Component outputs. Don't know about the Can version.

Are you saing the DSR530 DVR will also work with the 922 4dtv to decode HD? Can you elaborate on this?

Iceberg said:
any of the 4xx receivers will work with the sidecar :)

But how do you get and active the 4xx receivers for StarChoice through a broker?
So, far I see that they will just supply you with the latest, newest "system" which consists of dish, LNB, cabling and newest receiver (SD).

You can get any equipment you need. Just ask when you call them.

I have decided to stay with Comcast Cable UNTIL MPEG4 becomes standard - I do not want to have to purchase one of these Satellite HD STB's and then it is obsolete in 6 months time. Something to think about! :yes

Iceberg said:
CSI is on CBS & CTV untouched (sans commericlas)
Speed is the US verison
Space is close to Sci-Fi (don't know what you want there)
never heard of L Word...edit: checked the guide and it is on "Showcase"

Easiest way to see if your favourite program is on is check the guide :)
http://www.starchoice.com/english/whatsontv/default.asp
a zip that works is P7E6E2

Thank you! :)

Actually I've checked and SC doesn't offer box rentals.... also for Evu it seems I can get a firewire-enabled 6000HD box for some extra...

Hmmm... I put together a package at Evu, it's ~61US$, me so happy... :D
Let's see the hw side...

If somebody would PM me a good broker, that'd really make my day now - thanks! :)

T2k said:
Thank you! :)

Actually I've checked and SC doesn't offer box rentals.... also for Evu it seems I can get a firewire-enabled 6000HD box for some extra...

you cant rent the box as a southern subscriber...only purchase

The big question..

My wife is a huge fan of Sci-Fi's "Ghost Hunters". Is that show available on either SC or Evu under one of their other channels?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)