External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

855 ... like the drive is full when I still have about 20 gigs to spare over what the Survivor takes (I looked and have a couple of previous seasons about the same size on the drive)

Were you able to get it to another drive and back? I've done well over 20 gigs at once with no issues, as I'm sure you have before too...

855 ... like the drive is full when I still have about 20 gigs to spare over what the Survivor takes (I looked and have a couple of previous seasons about the same size on the drive)
You need to know how much is available as contiguous space, not how much is available as a sum of fragments. To transfer a single program the space must be available contiguously. Imagine trying to put a brick in a wall where the only empty spaces are 1/2 brick wide. It does not matter how many half spaces there are you cannot put a full brick in. The internal file system can handle linked fragments, the external cannot. You need to free up 2 or 3 half brick next to each other, but we have no way to know where they are. This is fixed on a "real" computer with a "defragger" or a beter file system.
The simplest way around is to copy out a number of files (of similar dates) and then try to add the new file. You may be able to put back all the other (smaller) pieces.
-Ken

Last edited:
You need to know how much is available as contiguous space, not how much is available as a sum of fragments. To transfer a single program the space must be available contiguously. Imagine trying to put a brick in a wall where the only empty spaces are 1/2 brick wide. It does not matter how many half spaces there are you cannot put a full brick in. The internal file system can handle linked fragments, the external cannot. You need to free up 2 or 3 half brick next to each other, but we have no way to know where they are. This is fixed on a "real" computer with a "defragger" or a beter file system.
The simplest way around is to copy out a number of files (of similar dates) and then try to add the new file. You may be able to put back all the other (smaller) pieces.
-Ken
I started doing that last night, have room on another drive for some stuff... :)

When restoring files/recordings start with the largest (in MB) and work down to the smallest. This way you will have the least problems with gaps or fragments.

To harshness: It sure acts like the disk gets fragmented because you can have lots of space available and not be able to put a single large file on the EHD. I never seen that with the internal drive and it must handle fragments in recording live--it cannot be guaranteed to have sufficient contiguous space. Maybe Dish just has not set it up for fragments--lazy?
-Ken

Maybe for safety? Giving them the benefit of the doubt.

castle rock kid

I have a VIP 622 with two WD ex hd, this morning neither one will work I can't watch recorded material, I can't send any new material and I can't send any material back to the VIP 622. any body have this problem?