External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

No it ISNT powered. it is a cheapo $10.00
So if i get a powered hub i could use the one ehd and the fan together thru the rear usb?
Also when not using the ehd should i turn it off?

Yep, a powered hub supplies power that the EHD needs, rather than taking it from the 722's USB port. You can leave the hub on 24/7 (I do) and yes, you could leave the fan running...

I just bought a WD My Passport Essential. I have formatted it 3 times since connecting it to my receiver, but my 622 keeps telling me the drive needs to be formatted. Is this because the drive is only powered via USB? If I connect it to a hub will it solve the issue? Guess I might be out $70 here since I didn't come here first to read all of the quirks before buying a drive.

Dish receivers do not put out enough power through the USB port to power an EHD, they MUST have their own power supply.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to take this HD that wont work with my receiver and use a friends Hauppauge HD PVR to archive my recordings. That way I wont get any horror stories of the receiver suddenly telling me the HD needs to be formatted. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

I have read that the drives have to be self powered and that they must be single platter and no more than 1TB. How exactley do you determine if they are single platter or not? The other 2 options are not hard to find but I have looked at stores and they do not put that on the boxes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Todd

Under support on dish networks site in the how to setup>external hard drive>convert your receiver into a DVR it says that the EHD must not use flash memory and should only be a single-platter drive.

Do you have a suggestion as to what works best? do you have any model numbers of EHD's that are compatiable?

I see a lot of people on here recommending Western Digital EHD's.

Under support on dish networks site in the how to setup>external hard drive>convert your receiver into a DVR it says that the EHD must not use flash memory and should only be a single-platter drive.

Some EHD's actually have 2 drives in one case. So although it may list as a 1TB EHD, it can be 2 500GB in one case (dual drive), which we do not support. The big things to keep in mind when looking for an EHD:

-External power source (can not get power through USB cable)
-USB 2.0 connection
-For 211 family, HD size between 50GB and 1TB
-For HD DVR's, HD size between 50GB and 2 TB
-No flash, dual, or hybrid drives

The web site is misleading on this and many other subjects. There are worse offenders, but that's no excuse for not having ongoing review of the FAQs, instructions and legalese.

I use the 2TB WD Elements drive on my 722. No issues (Even better, I bought it from Target on Black Friday for $70). Buckets of space.

I still have three older 500 GB drives that I keep swapping on my other 622. They don't have power switches, so I just have to unplug them. I'm intrigued by the hub suggestion.... Barring the receiver automatically recognizing them (Just think of the people that will NEVER leave E* due to the video jukebox of stored content - hint hint), what's the best system to implement? Right now, I just keep swapping out USBs and plugging in the other units, but I'm afraid of corrupting data with this method of "hot-swapping".

One other complaint about the EHDs... Could you PLEASE find a way to have the list of programs go back to the point in the list where I just was? After scrolling through pages of movies and shows to something that starts with the letter "S", I notice that I clicked on the wrong episode/movie and then it goes ALL the way back to A. For some reason, it will let me do it if I click the info button BEFORE I watch any content, but if I start watching a program, it will keep going back to the beginning unless an overnight reboot occurs (reminds of the horrific bug since cured that would delete the second program you watched off of the EHD automatically - I used to keep some nothing but trailers recordings off of HDNet as kamikazes so that it didn't zap something important to me). For example, I'm watching Nikita episode 9. I finish watching it and I DON'T get the option to delete it from here at the stop screen when I'm done. So I exit to the menu, which goes back to shows beginning with A, instead of the show I was just watching...... I have to scroll back down through a bunch of screens to highlight the episode to delete. I delete it., And then I get sent all the way back AGAIN back to the top of the list, scroll down to go back and watch episode 10 (Rinse. Repeat.). It's like a programmer's sadistic game of Chutes and Ladders..... (All chutes, and then slow mind numbing ladders to get back where I was). I also keep the R Rated stuff here so my kids don't stumble on to it, so the problem is compounded by a dozen shows of the same name (Yes, I know Folders being activated would cut down on the screens, but if you DON'T enable folders, it doesn't show up in the main DVR screen which I actually like.. an easy way to segment objectionable programs away from young eyes)

Last edited:
I am finding difficulties retrieving my programs off my external hard drive. I have no problem adding files to EHD, but I can not transfer back or even play them back from the EHD, is this a firmware thing? THe Vip722 will reboot. It is a 2TB Iomega, yet I haven't cracked the case open to see what HD is actually inside

I am finding difficulties retrieving my programs off my external hard drive. I have no problem adding files to EHD, but I can not transfer back or even play them back from the EHD, is this a firmware thing? THe Vip722 will reboot. It is a 2TB Iomega, yet I haven't cracked the case open to see what HD is actually inside

I wouldn't put anything more out on it until you resolve the issue of transfer and playback. I've never used an Iomega EHD before...

I cancelled my Dish service, but after realizing that I could not view my recordings stored on my external hard drive, I called back and had my service restored. Now, I cannot view the recordings on the external hard drive. I get the prompt to "enable" the external hard drive, even though it was previously enabled, and my account online reflects that it is enabled. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)