External Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing

DialgaChampion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
New York
Maybe I'm the only one with this problem, but figured I'd ask anyway. I'm using a WD Elements 6 TB USB 3.0 external hard drive with my Hopper 3.

It seems like every day or two, usually after the nightly reset, the "Other Devices" option in the DVR menu disappears entirely, like the H3 all of a sudden isn't detecting that an external hard drive is connected. The only way I'm able to fix this is by unplugging and replugging in the power cord to the external drive.

I don't know if this is because the external drive is going into some kind of energy-saving sleep mode, or if this has to do with the H3 specifically, maybe something that happens during the nightly reset that is affecting its ability to detect drives still plugged into the USB ports.

Any thoughts?

Maybe I'm the only one with this problem, but figured I'd ask anyway. I'm using a WD Elements 6 TB USB 3.0 external hard drive with my Hopper 3.

It seems like every day or two, usually after the nightly reset, the "Other Devices" option in the DVR menu disappears entirely, like the H3 all of a sudden isn't detecting that an external hard drive is connected. The only way I'm able to fix this is by unplugging and replugging in the power cord to the external drive.

I don't know if this is because the external drive is going into some kind of energy-saving sleep mode, or if this has to do with the H3 specifically, maybe something that happens during the nightly reset that is affecting its ability to detect drives still plugged into the USB ports.

Any thoughts?
Same thing here with my EHD. I've just gotten used to red buttoning the H3 to fix it

Any thoughts?
Same thing happens to me too occasionally. Sometimes when I forget to reboot my Hopper it comes back the next day after the nightly reboot.

Reactions: syphix and TheKrell
This is incredibly frustrating. I have a 2 TB external hard drive (filled with over 200 movies) that shows up 1/4 of the time. I never know when I turn my TV & Hopper on whether I’ll be able to watch a movie I recorded and transferred there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not my EHD but my access point exhibits that same issue. It suddenly isn't there anymore and nothing I do will get it back. And as is the case every time, after the nightly reboot or whatever else happens overnight the access point returns.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Same thing here with my EHD. I've just gotten used to red buttoning the H3 to fix it
Huh, you're right.

Now I feel like an idiot. All this time, I thought going to Tools > Reset Hopper was the same thing as hitting the red button, but it never got the drive to appear, so I thought power-cycling the drive itself was the only option. Thanks.

I have a 1TB WD drive in a Thermaltake BlacX dock and I never have to reboot either my Hopper or my drive. After not accessing it for a while it there are no icons for the external drive, then about 5 seconds later the icon all populate, ready to read or write.

Huh, you're right.

Now I feel like an idiot. All this time, I thought going to Tools > Reset Hopper was the same thing as hitting the red button, but it never got the drive to appear, so I thought power-cycling the drive itself was the only option. Thanks.
Yeah I started out doing that at first but found out quickly that the drive still wouldn't appear even after multiple [what I call] soft resets and then the H3 would start to do performance tests making a reboot last 20 minutes.

I just noticed the same issue with my external drives. I have a powered switch connected to one of the rear USB ports with about 6 drives connected to it. I am able to power them on or off with the switch. Recently the Hopper3 does not see the drives when I try to power them on. But they will show up the next day after the nightly update. Something is definitely weird as they all worked fine before and I could switch drives with no problem at all. I spent an hour the other night rebooting the H3 multiple times because something I wanted to watch was on one of the drives that the H3 would not see. The next morning it was there. I also have 2 drives connected directly to the other 2 USB ports and ALL the drives were affected, at the end of the night none of them would show up, and the next morning they were all there.

I installed my 4TB EHD about three weeks ago and yesterday it did not show up for the first time.
I hit the red button and it returned when everything came back up.
Hope it doesn't happen again because my elderly aunt watches and records a lot in her room and I'm sure my reboot irritated her,

• Sad
Reactions: DialgaChampion
I am having a similar problem. I am hooking up a hard drive for the first time in a long time and it seems to lose the EHD while it is in the middle of formatting the drive. So I can't get the back up done. Is there something I am missing?

Question to those that have hard drives that are not recognized by Hopper and have had them reauthorized and start working again. If the hopper doesn't see the hard drive without wanting to reformat it, how do you get the authorization onto the hard drive? I have several drives that worked but I have not used them in a while and now when I plug them in it wants to reformat. I always decline but then they do not show up on the hopper and do not appear to be connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts