External hard drive

greglwood

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I've hooked one up and have come to the conclusion that contrary to some things I've read it does not actually increase your recording capacity. All I can really find that you can do with it is copy or save recordings from the internal drive.

Am I correct? Is there no way to automatically record to the EHD? Are there plans to do in future software releases. The "Let's jump right in" booklet is a little misleading.

Also is the esata port active?

An EHD on a DVR does allow you to archive recordings from the internal drive. Since these are transferred, not copied to the EHD, internal HDD space is freed up, thus the increase in recording space.

You can not record directly to an EHD, and the eSATA port is currently inactive.

An EHD on a DVR does allow you to archive recordings from the internal drive. Since these are transferred, not copied to the EHD, internal HDD space is freed up, thus the increase in recording space.

You can not record directly to an EHD, and the eSATA port is currently inactive.
You can play back from the EHD, right?

I find one annoying flaw in the EHD. After playing back a recording, you must then go the the EHD menu and search for the recording to then delete it. There is no way to delete a recording after completing the playback. Are you listening Dish?

No, you don't have to do that if I remember correctly. After you press Done, it should take you back to the show you were watching. Select it again and then Delete.

To the OP.
Depending on what receiver you have, buried in one of the sub menus is an option about enabling an external device for recording. It is referring to a device that Dish once had. It does not work.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)