External hard drives for hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I'm sure this has been asked before but id like some recommendations of external hard drives that are good , reasonably priced 1 or 2 tb that are known to work flawlessly with the hopper ? Brand and model numbers. I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I switch to dish.

Thanks halo. I know I can always count on you to come through for me.

The larger the drive, the more you lose when it fails. And the longer it takes when accessing.

WD Black drives are more reliable, or so they're touted. Greens may use less power.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thought of another EHD question. If I have 2 hoppers but one EHD can I move the EHD back and forth pulling shows off each hopper then I can watch everything on the EHD on either hopper ? Like say I put the Super Bowl on my EHD that was on hopper 1 then can I take the EHD hook it up to hopper 2 and watch the Super Bowl ?

Thought of another EHD question. If I have 2 hoppers but one EHD can I move the EHD back and forth pulling shows off each hopper then I can watch everything on the EHD on either hopper ? Like say I put the Super Bowl on my EHD that was on hopper 1 then can I take the EHD hook it up to hopper 2 and watch the Super Bowl ?

Yes.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes, you can use the EHDs on any non-211 on the same account, did with 722s. How do they do that?

I have 5 750GB WD (first bought), and 4 1TB, 1 1.5TB green, 4 2TB (latest) of mixed parentage.
I had 2 of the 1TB non-WD get really slow. I removed all recordings and re-filled them. They seem normal again.
Those over 1TB may have a lower rotational speed.
Four are stand mounted--less space and one supply but less convenient.
Spare stand is used for computer backup. The price difference is mostly gone.
In fact, for a cased 2TB now I would only pay $90.
Compare that to the $180 for the first 750GB from 2007.

It is really great that I can copy 3 streams at once. The 3rd cannot display the recordings. Why?
It would be better without the encryption/decryption slowing the process.
Too bad, using only the receiver, you can't move the encrypted files to another disk, cutting in half the time.
I have several on a USB hub and have had working 2 streams thru the unpowered hub.

I try to remove the USB first, where I can, because it seems less likely to cause a reboot.

It's really to bad the disks cannot be named but just get a number ordered by their insertion time. TMI?

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts