Fastest Hard Drive Wipe?

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
What is the fastest method of securely wiping a hard drive that leaves the hard drive in a re-usable state when you are done that is cost effective? I'm looking for a solution that meets all of these criteria: Fast, secure, non-destructive, and relatively inexpensive. Ideally it would also leave the restore partition useable.

I know a couple of ways to do this but how fast do you need it to be? This also depends on the size of the drive.

What is the fastest method of securely wiping a hard drive that leaves the hard drive in a re-usable state when you are done that is cost effective? I'm looking for a solution that meets all of these criteria: Fast, secure, non-destructive, and relatively inexpensive. Ideally it would also leave the restore partition useable.

You want the restore partition unscathed. This means the root will not be destroyed, and you may still be infected if that is the concern.

I used to take tapes to a machine with about a two inch high slot that had a HUGE magnetic field inside. Clean as a whistle (I wouldn't think a whistle particularly clean but..). I understand that it would do HDDs also, right thru the metal casing, but I'm not sure the Op Syses of the day would be able to reuse it. It was designed to DESTROY. Later, we had to disassemble and sand off the platter coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I currently use dban or killdisk. This can take hours to wipe a drive. I'm looking for something faster in comparison that provides a reasonable level of protection to the previous owner's privacy. I've heard of degaussers that wipe in seconds but they are pricey.

I currently use dban or killdisk. This can take hours to wipe a drive. I'm looking for something faster in comparison that provides a reasonable level of protection to the previous owner's privacy. I've heard of degaussers that wipe in seconds but they are pricey.

Yes but degaussers will damage the hard drive. There are several degausser types available but I am sure they all render the drive useless.

Rey, what couple of ways did you have in mind? Have they already been mentioned?

Pretty much avg1joe. Sorry. You'll probably have to bite and sit back while the drive is wiped. In the meantime, if I find another option I'll update your thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)