Favorite Android Apps

Just discovered a new app for my Thunderbolt that is really amazing. Its called Soundhound. I was looking for a way to find the name and artist for a song that I heard but didn't know the source.

What Soundhound can do is listen to you sing the tune or hum the tune but more accurate if you hold your phone up to a speaker where the phone can listen to the actual song. Then it goes into it's search engine and in a few seconds, it will find a bunch of songs that are similar. I had recorded 15 music selections, all instrumental, while video taping an outdoor event and wanted to identify them and SoundHound was able to accurately name each except for one that was obscured in the background noise, plus that one was a symphony performance so it isn't like it was a top tune. I got the artist, the album, and a way to listen to the original for verification. The best thing is its free!

I think they also make a PC version and an iphone version too. Do a search for SoundHound on your phone to see if it works for you.

Yes, Shazam and SoundHound do the same thing. Verizon (and others, I'm sure) even has a similar app, VCast Music ID, for their older feature phones that does this.

SoundHound seems sloppier to me though as it will often "guess" wrong vs what Shazam does is simply say it can't find a match. For symphony type music, I think the catalog is simply too vast plus how does it really differentiate between Pachelbel's "Canon In D" by the Boston Pops Orchestra vs by the National Philharmonic Orchestra ?

Hall, I should look into others as you and digiblur suggested. I was pretty impressed with the speed and accuracy as it allowed me instant confirmation which is how I could compare two or more close contenders. Given a choice, I'd prefer the suggestions as opposed to a response that it can't find a match because the search engine is certain. In my brief experience, if the suggestions were too many to screen, I sampled a different section of the music and that narrowed the search nicely.

To clarify what I meant with Soundhound when it guesses, (sometimes) it was so far off that it may as well have returned no result. The result it may have given was of no value whatsoever. I don't recall that it gave multiple results, but it's been 1+ year since I last used it.

I really like widget locker.so many customizations
A similar one that I found is MagicLocker. One thing I like over Widgetlocker is that it is free and has some free themes for it, so that you can get similar functionality to WidgetLocker but cheaper. Granted, WidgetLocker is probably more powerful, but all I wanted was quick easy access to my most commonly used apps from the lockscreen so I got MagicLocker along with the Ten Points Pro theme, all for less than half of what WidgetLocker costs. Again, I'm not bashing WL, but for what I wanted, which is just quick app access, this was perfect.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.lockscreen.magiclocker.theme.paid.dani.tenpointspro

I was pretty impressed with the speed and accuracy as it allowed me instant confirmation which is how I could compare two or more close contenders. Given a choice, I'd prefer the suggestions as opposed to a response that it can't find a match because the search engine is certain.
Just used Shazam and for the first time, it got a song wrong. As I've mentioned, I can understand it not finding any match, but it's never gotten one wrong for me before. Admittedly, I told it to ID it at the very beginning and it quickly found something. As the song continued playing, I tried it again, and it did get it right on the 2nd try.

FWIW, the actual song was "Summertime" by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince but it tagged it as "Find A Way" by A Tribe Called Quest.

Silly Question...I recently activated my Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE, which repaced my HTC EVO 4G. I was quite happy with my former phone, but I just gotta have that LTE. Anyway, although I have Sprint Navigation service my only real complaint (besides the fact I loved by EVO 4G and, if ever cornered in a street brawl, I could fling my phone at someone and probably kill 'em - that thing was solid-state) is that I went to open Telenav and noticed it's not part of the bloatware. In fact, it comes with no GPS app other than Google Maps.

I prefer to use my Garmin, but there are times when it's in another vehicle or I'm using public or alternate forms of transportation and Telenav comes in handy. My question is can anyone recommend a decent "free" GPS app ~or~ should I just copy the old Telnav APK and run it?

Thanks!

Silly Question...I recently activated my Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE, which repaced my HTC EVO 4G. I was quite happy with my former phone, but I just gotta have that LTE. Anyway, although I have Sprint Navigation service my only real complaint (besides the fact I loved by EVO 4G and, if ever cornered in a street brawl, I could fling my phone at someone and probably kill 'em - that thing was solid-state) is that I went to open Telenav and noticed it's not part of the bloatware. In fact, it comes with no GPS app other than Google Maps.

I prefer to use my Garmin, but there are times when it's in another vehicle or I'm using public or alternate forms of transportation and Telenav comes in handy. My question is can anyone recommend a decent "free" GPS app ~or~ should I just copy the old Telnav APK and run it?

Thanks!

google maps/google nav works very well
give it a try

Hmmm. I searched Telenav and didn't see it....perhaps I need to wear my reading glasses. :eek:
If it's not compatible with your device, it simply will NOT appear in the Play store (from your phone).

I have an HTC Thunderbolt and Google Play from my computer browser tells me

This app is incompatible with your Verizon HTC ADR6400L (last used August, 2012).

When I expand the "+" sign, it then tells me

This item is not available on your carrier.

Thanks Verizon ! It would appear that they are blocking it...

If the app is always free -- today isn't a special "free" day -- you could get the APK from someone who has downloaded it and install it manually.