Status
Please reply by conversation.

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
FCC Freezes C-Band

The FCC has signaled the next spectrum band it is seriously eyeing to free up for advanced telecom.

The Wireless Telecommunications, International, Public Safety and Homeland Security bureaus said Thursday (April 19) that it was instituting a temporary freeze on applications for new or modified fixed satellite service earth stations and fixed microwave stations in the 3.7-4.2 GHz spectrum bands (C-band) to "preserve the current landscape" as it looks into possibly allowing mobile broadband and more "intensive" fixed use.

I'm wondering how they would reduce C-Band spectrum from a technical standpoint. A satellite is capable of reflecting signals on a certain range of frequencies, correct? So would they be reducing the amount of transponders that can be active on a given satellite? Say, reduce transponders over or below a certain frequency? It also seems like a waste to shut off transponders on existing satellites as those birds aren't cheap to make.

The collective reasoning I've heard on this forum is that C-Band is still necessary and will be for at least 15-20 years, as the best means of cost-effectively distributing programming to MVPD's and also businesses that are in rural areas or don't have access to fast broadband.

I've been giving the FCC the benefit of the doubt for awhile now, but this decision really makes me scratch my head.

Freezes like this are routine when something like this is under consideration. The idea is to prevent speculators from putting themselves in a position to profit off a near-future decision if it goes that way.

As an example, the FCC froze TV station channel changes on 5/31/2011, even though the Incentive Auction legislation didn't pass congress until 2/22/2012, and the auction itself didn't close until 4/13/2017. This was to prevent stations on VHF from moving themselves to UHF solely to sell out and profit from the auction.

There was no guarantee on 5/31/2011 that the Incentive Auction would ever happen, but it was frozen anyway because there was chatter about it, much like the chatter going on here surrounding C-band.

- Trip

So, since the C band signals are directional and relatively powerful, can an existing satellite continue service while relatively low power cell towers operate in the same band? Maybe with dishes modified or shielded, made more directional?

C band is too valuable, no ground based TX allowed except uplinkers stations!:no

How can FCC be so stupid!?

Looks like they are out of touch of reality these days. :deadhorse

Live long C band will stay forever!!:cheer

This time around though, the satellite industry appears to believe that taking away some of their spectrum is inevitable. SES and Intelsat have already basically conceded 100 MHz of the 500 MHz used in downlinking C-Band signals. Meanwhile one of the FCC commissioners is now publicly saying he'd like to take away 200-400 MHz.

Intelsat, SES propose joint use of C-band by satellite, terrestrial mobile operators | FierceWireless
FCC’s O’Rielly suggests freeing up 200-300 megahertz of C-Band spectrum | FierceWireless

This time around though, the satellite industry appears to believe that taking away some of their spectrum is inevitable. SES and Intelsat have already basically conceded 100 MHz of the 500 MHz used in downlinking C-Band signals. Meanwhile one of the FCC commissioners is now publicly saying he'd like to take away 200-400 MHz.

Intelsat, SES propose joint use of C-band by satellite, terrestrial mobile operators | FierceWireless
FCC’s O’Rielly suggests freeing up 200-300 megahertz of C-Band spectrum | FierceWireless

Yeah, it's like that old saying, ie, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help!" What they are really saying is, B. O. H. I. C. A.! :imshocked

What I worry most about here is some sort of system for joint use that allows TV stations and cable headends to block C-band use for mobile broadband within, say, 1km of their dishes. But you can be sure no one will take private individuals into account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)