February 2011 Price Increases

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is the cheapest package available that allows the addition of Sports Pack and ST?

Is Preferred Choice an option without an International Channel?

Call and ask about Select, it is the lowest package $40 range and can still have things added, doesn't require international, and contains a "basic expanded cable" type channels. It is much more mainstream that the family package which is quite stripped down.

Called and they mentioned Select and Select choice as well as family.

Is NFL network included in the Sports Pack?

Looks like I will have a $7 increase this year. Not to happy as a whole with the price increase.

Called and they mentioned Select and Select choice as well as family.

Is NFL network included in the Sports Pack?

No, if you want NFL Net you have to have Choice or higher. Not sure if it is included with a SundayTicket purchase for lower package subscribers like NBA/NHL is.

Jimbo, this is the second year they have raised legacy packages more than current. I used to have Plus HD-DVR and with this change the savings on that (only $1) will be gone.

I think that next year 2012 they will complete the plan (if you will) to have the total choice packages eliminated. When those raise to the same price as current packages they can just eliminate them and fold them into current. I don't know if they will do that, but they hate having the legacy packages (shown by the fact that they won't let you do anything on the website and they are aggressive to change you from them) and have raised them more two years in a row. One more year and the legacy packages will cost the same.

What I don't know is what would happen to the 13 channels in total choice that aren't in choice, so perhaps, because of that, they will want them to be the same price but never eliminate total choice.

Just thinking to try and figure out their methods...

For the record I'm perfectly happy with my DirecTV service and have no plans of cancelling despite the rate increases.

But does DirecTV changing the rates allow a person to get out of their contract without paying an early termination fee? Logic tells me you should be able to since they are breaking the contract. But I'm sure there is something in the fine print that says they can alter the contract all they want without you being able to do anything about it.

I am not sold that Premier isn't going to change.

I think they could say Premier changes up $2 like all basic packages and another $1 due to the HBO increase, thus increasing $3. For the old total choice premier subs that would be $4. I doubt that Premier is going untouched.

Hopefully we'll get clarification on Premier soon.

EDIT: I received clarification this morning that Premier will indeed not change, it will remain the same as last year.
Well, I can see them not wanting to chage this package , since its already $115 and doesn't include HD or DVR. They need to drop this about $10 IMHO!

I mean if you think about it, Cinemax is a waste, Sports Pack is too now more then ever, Since most people get their RSN's that Aren't blacked out with the Choice pack, as well as ESPNu and CBS-C.

D* charges more then any provider in my area right now. Including Dish with this new price increase.
Does that mean I want Dish, Hell no!.
But the Cable Bundle packs (Blue Ridge Communications) in my area including Phone,Internet are hitting about $60 less per month for the first year and $35 less on the Second year per month verses Directv with Verizon, and Verizon High speed in my area Sucks.

And as a Bonus
  • NO COMMITMENT,
  • All HD DVRS Free.
  • Now upgraded DVR capacity available. Over 100 HD hours
  • Free Digital Install
  • Now also 24/7 Tech Support.
  • 10 Mbps Internet Up to 15 available( Verizon only 3 Mbps available in my area)
  • Unlimited calling,caller ID and you know the rest.
  • Real VOD
  • More locals
  • More Premiums
I'm really finding it harder and harder to stay with satellite TV.
This increase isn't helping.

Hemi, D* may now be more than E*, but E* hasn't announced their annual price increase yet. So that may change.

SatelliteRacer did say at the other site that the first receiver is still free. And that aside from changing the extra receiver fee from $4.99 to $5.00 a few years ago, this is the first receiver fee increase in 17 years.

I haven't kept up with other provider price increase announcements but he said that "Time Warner announced theirs three weeks ago. AT&T Uverse last week. Comcast approximately 4 weeks ago." And he added that "the timing of all MSO's is tied in to their programming costs and all of those start with their new higher rates next week that they have to pay all the content providers."

As far as free DVRs go from cable companies that has always been one of cable's biggest advantages over DBS. However, I do think that most of them charge more per month for the HD DVR fees than D* does. I don't know if they still do but my local TWC charged a couple of bucks a month just for the receiver remote.

For the record I'm perfectly happy with my DirecTV service and have no plans of cancelling despite the rate increases.

But does DirecTV changing the rates allow a person to get out of their contract without paying an early termination fee? Logic tells me you should be able to since they are breaking the contract. But I'm sure there is something in the fine print that says they can alter the contract all they want without you being able to do anything about it.

They aren't breaking the contract. Get out the magnifying glass and check the mice type where it says they can change their prices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts