February 2011 Price Increases

Status
Please reply by conversation.
According to SatelliteRacer at the other site, the effective date is only 1 day off from last year for D*'s rate increase.

I think he meant the announcement for the increase is one day different than last year, not when the increase is effective.

Alot of us are getting HD access for Free which was a $10 reduction in our bills back in June.

So technically if you had the same package as this time last year with HD, your still paying less money than you where before the increase.

All Directv is doing here is shifting the costs around to pay for the Free HD access they no longer bill for.

Not that long ago the Top package was UNDER $ 100.
How long, 5 years ago?

Thats long!

In 2005 Total Choice Plus pack was $42.99
Now the Equal Choice Extra is $65.99

$23 dollar increase in 7 years

Thats 3.3 dollars per year alone.
Thats a 13% per year increase from the 2005 Price.

I don't remember the $100 Premier pack going up $13 in one shot. Thats what 13% would be!
Try 4 %.

Last edited:
What is CW Distant Network Service? Who is elgible for it?

For markets that don't have a CW station they offer channel 384/385 for $3/mo (going up to $3.50).

Some DMAs have this included already when the CW station is a cable only type CW.
For example in Grand Rapids MI CW is on cable (ch7) and on OTA (3-2). The station owner in the DMA (ch3) could negotiate to have their feed aired via satellite but to date that hasn't happened. Instead we get CW from Washington DC on channel 14 (mirror of 385). The only difference is that we don't have to pay the $3/mo.

I guess time comes soon enough to people just throw the towell and say hi to free internet TV
I'm Gonna do that soon as my contract over in june next year, i mean in 2012

What is CW Distant Network Service? Who is elgible for it?

For markets that don't have a CW station they offer channel 384/385 for $3/mo (going up to $3.50).

Some DMAs have this included already when the CW station is a cable only type CW.
For example in Grand Rapids MI CW is on cable (ch7) and on OTA (3-2). The station owner in the DMA (ch3) could negotiate to have their feed aired via satellite but to date that hasn't happened. Instead we get CW from Washington DC on channel 14 (mirror of 385). The only difference is that we don't have to pay the $3/mo.

Jason pretty much nailed it. I'll add that in some areas D* can't provide a distant CW automatically but if your market doesnt have a CW in it, you can ask for a waiver. In lots of cases you will be approved but have to pay the $3

I learned if you move from a market with the distant CW to a market that has a CW included it can be a headache to get it right. Thats what happened when I "moved" back home to get the HD upgrade. The market I was in had DC CW and Minneapolis has their own. The tech support guys spent about 1/2 hour trying to get the address right because that CW wouldn't drop off the account so it kept showing my "old" address.

I wouldn't mind the price increase if they would add channels like TCM HD, ID HD, more HBOs, and others. I have had Bright House along with my DirecTV for a few months and ultimately will stick with DirecTV. It is just too annoying dealing with remote and crummy DVR. It will mean known of the channels as mentioned above but I cannot keep both and DirecTV's DVR box is best.

How long, 5 years ago?

Thats long!

In 2005 Total Choice Plus pack was $42.99
Now the Equal Choice Extra is $65.99

$23 dollar increase in 7 years

Thats 3.3 dollars per year alone.
Thats a 13% per year increase from the 2005 Price.

I don't remember the $100 Premier pack going up $13 in one shot. Thats what 13% would be!
Try 4 %.

Did I say the top package went up 13 % ?

Did I say the top package went up 13 % ?
You implied, that the High end customers are taking the same hits as the lower end customers.
I don't believe that is at all true.

Look at a Choice Subscriber,
with DVR and a 4 room System with HBO.
That would cost a Customer $102 per month right now.
Last year that would have been $96

All I'm saying is D* is working really hard at getting all their lower subscribers to $100 per month mark.

You implied, that the High end customers are taking the same hits as the lower end customers.
I don't believe that is at all true.

Look at a Choice Subscriber,
with DVR and a 4 room System with HBO.
That would cost a Customer $102 per month right now.
Last year that would have been $96

All I'm saying is D* is working really hard at getting all their lower subscribers to $100 per month mark.

I'm sorry if I implied that, it was a mistake if I did.

Anyone know the difference in channels you get/don't get between the Total Choice + and the what is it called now, "Select+" ? or is it Choice.

With the prices getting closer, I'm wondering if I upgrade the package am I losing or gaining channels ?

whether dish direct or cable every company raises prices first quarter of each year:)

Anyone know the difference in channels you get/don't get between the Total Choice + and the what is it called now, "Select+" ? or is it Choice.

With the prices getting closer, I'm wondering if I upgrade the package am I losing or gaining channels ?
You have Total Choice plus now , I assume?

Choice Extra, might throw you a an extra Sonic channel or 2 , Thats about it.
$65.99 vs Total Choice Plus new price of $64.49

Choice Ultimate gives you Encore's and TMC
Premier Gives you All the Premiums and Sports packs.

These are the only UPGRADES from Total Choice Plus.
All the rest you will Lose channels.

I've had every base pack except the Old "Total Choice"
But if I were you , and you want to downgrade, Don't go below "Choice pack"
Choice Select is lame and it doesn't include RSN's.

Not worth the $39.99 it was then.

These are the only packages you can switch to.
  • Preferred Choice $39.99
  • Total Choice Mobile $60.99
  • Choice $60.99
  • Choice Extra $65.99
  • Choice Ultimate $70.99
  • Choice Premier $114.99
All the rest are grandfathered base pack that you can'NOT switch to.

Last edited:
You have Total Choice plus now , I assume?

Choice Extra, might throw you a an extra Sonic channel or 2 , Thats about it.
$65.99 vs Total Choice Plus new price of $64.49

Choice Ultimate gives you Encore's and TMC
Premier Gives you All the Premiums and Sports packs.

These are the only UPGRADES from Total Choice Plus.
All the rest you will Lose channels.

I've had every base pack except the Old "Total Choice"
But if I were you , and you want to downgrade, Don't go below "Choice pack"
Choice Select is lame and it doesn't include RSN's.

Not worth the $39.99 it was then.

These are the only packages you can switch to.
  • Preferred Choice $39.99
  • Total Choice Mobile $60.99
  • Choice $60.99
  • Choice Extra $65.99
  • Choice Ultimate $70.99
  • Choice Premier $114.99
All the rest are grandfathered base pack that you can'NOT switch to.

Thanks for the breakdown :up

Seeing the TC+ and the Choice Extra are only $ 1 apart, I was considering making the switch, but if theres really no difference, why bother.
I rarely use the Sonic channels.

I'm figuring at this rate, NEXT year the TC+ will cost the same or more than the Choice Extra.
I'm not really looking to drop down in package, just wondered if I would be getting any more USABLE channels with the addl. $1.

I wouldn't mind the price increase if they would add channels like TCM HD, ID HD, more HBOs, and others. I have had Bright House along with my DirecTV for a few months and ultimately will stick with DirecTV. It is just too annoying dealing with remote and crummy DVR. It will mean known of the channels as mentioned above but I cannot keep both and DirecTV's DVR box is best.
I mean "none" of the channels...... maybe it is time to turn off the TV before my brain completely loses it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.