Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Phandroid unveiled an "uncovering" video of the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy Tab yesterday, and I must say, it looks sweet.

Video: Samsung Tab Gets First Unboxing, We Start Drooling - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Android 2.2, 2 camera, 1GHz processor, 1/2 the weight of the ipad, 7" screen, and a device that fits in your hand like a Kindle; all the flexibility of Froyo, including Flash 10 support. Wi-Fi and 3G capability, DivX certified, 16GB internal memory, plus memory card capability. The only short-coming I see on it is the non-removable battery.

This thing looks like the real deal. I just wish they'd release pricing info. My gut says the price of a non-phone carrier subsidied device will not be pretty.

Phandroid unveiled an "uncovering" video of the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy Tab yesterday, and I must say, it looks sweet.

Video: Samsung Tab Gets First Unboxing, We Start Drooling - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Android 2.2, 2 camera, 1GHz screen, 1/2 the weight of the ipad, 7" screen, and a device that fits in your hand like a Kindle; all the flexibility of Froyo, including Flash 10 support. Wi-Fi and 3G capability, DivX certified, 16GB internal memory, plus memory card capability. The only short-coming I see on it is the non-removable battery.

This thing looks like the real deal. I just wish they'd release pricing info. My gut says the price of a non-phone carrier subsidied device will not be pretty.

Man that 1 ghz screen is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Its fricking six in the morning.... I was blurring two ideas in my mind and not proof-reading. DOH

1GHZ processor; the screen looks pretty nice too. :)

I know, I have only been up two hours:D (edit: well almost 3 now)

I knew what ya meant, just having fun:angel::p

I know, I have only been up two hours:D

I knew what ya meant, just having fun:angel::p

Oh, I knew you were having fun. I would have done the same, if the situation was reversed. You can count on that. :D

This Samsung tablet is sure enticing though. I like how it is pretty much plain-jane Froyo; and not bloated down with a proprietary UI like motobloat or sense. It does have some Samsung widgets, but you can choose to use them or not.

Sweet! I want to see some comparisons between it and the BB version pad first but will probably end up with this one.

I'd also like to see face-to-face comparisons with the ipad; in terms of speed, load time, response, etc... I Know the ipad is much bigger (heck it weighs twice as much), but I'd like to see them go head to head with the same apps, on wi-fi.

I would hope they have a 16gb wi-fi model of the samsung about the same price point as the ipad; or less.

1 Ghz screen ??? ( Saw the video and I believe he says 1 Ghz CPU) If these Galaxypads get any faster I'll have to take another speed reading course to keep up! :D

The advantage seems to be Flash and the external sim card, cameras. Will that be the same for US market?

The one thing I didn't care for was the size. Too small and not much bigger than my cell phone. The built in camera is great for skype video. I would look forward to having that feature, but mostly on my cell phone.

The pinch and double tap work as well as the ipad but there were some bugs in You Tube display I saw. Hope these get worked out soon. With a small screen of the Galaxypad, one really needs the video to go full screen and not be so choppy.

Last edited:
Anyone actually seen the video of it? It does look very interesting to me. I have to admit, I am pretty impressed. Unlike the other no-name tablets, this one looks very smooth, and seems to have all the features it should have.

It will be interesting to see the indepth video reviews of it; like what the video-conferencing software is like for the forward-facing camera. And as I said before, I'd love to see side-by-side comparisons with the ipad.

I'd love to see side-by-side comparisons with the ipad.

Same here! But the Galaxy really has enough hardware feature improvements over the ipad to make it a great alternative. It just needs to perform equally to the ipad to be a winner.

On another note, following Google today, one analyst made a prediction a few minutes ago that smaller form factors will impact sales of other smart phones more than "mini" notebooks because users will opt for a smaller less expensive cell phone and the 7" pad device.

... I'd love to see side-by-side comparisons with the ipad.
The Galaxy Tab is on sale in Europe for about a month and there are comparison reviews out for a while
Samsung Galaxy Tab vs iPad | News | TechRadar UK
Compare: iPad vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Dell Streak and BlackBerry PlayBook
iPad vs. Galaxy Tab - SlashGear

But there are differences between the Tabs in Europe and in the US
Samsung Galaxy Tab loses voice capabilities in the US -- Engadget

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)