Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

When Android just started I remember reading somebody from the Rubin team that handsets will support 3 generations of the OS.
This is what the devs had in mind when developing the OS: run the initial release and two upgrades.
Anything beyond that is not guaranteed.

Along those lines, unless Honeycomb is declared tablet-only, Nexus S should run it, and its CPU is not dual-core.

Will probably be true for Google hardware, carriers might have their own views on this...

Diogen.

Diogen,

in my reading, I haven't seen anything that says HC will be tablet specific. It is supposed to be the first OS that has tablet optimizations. Big difference, right?

Cheers,

Swyped on my PC36100 using tapatalk!

Me neither.
But after Schmidt says they are never gona do Nexus Two and this meant they are going to call it Nexus S instead, I don't trust any official word...

Diogen.

Two rules I have learned about technology- When someone says never gonna happen. It is a lie. And, I won't buy a device today on the basis of a future upgrade to make it do what I really need.

Two rules I have learned about technology- When someone says never gonna happen. It is a lie. And, I won't buy a device today on the basis of a future upgrade to make it do what I really need.

And on that point, the Tab does everything I need it to do, the reason why I got it.

Yes, and I've been the happiest for a long time when buying technology that way. Last time I was fooled was with DisH Network's "future proof" PVR921. Lie #1 was they never made the OTA tuner module to make it a 2 tuner OTA DVR. Second lie was it was never able to do Mpeg4.

As for the Galaxy, I think for you the real treat is you can monkey around with the OS and not be tied to any one company telling you what you can and can't do.

Yes, and I've been the happiest for a long time when buying technology that way. Last time I was fooled was with DisH Network's "future proof" PVR921. Lie #1 was they never made the OTA tuner module to make it a 2 tuner OTA DVR. Second lie was it was never able to do Mpeg4.

As for the Galaxy, I think for you the real treat is you can monkey around with the OS and not be tied to any one company telling you what you can and can't do.

Exactly, on both points! :)

At airport now waiting on a delayed flight.

Can you fix the iPad app server? It's down and I logged in directly. Scott is enroute so he can't reset. Happens when he travels.

Exactly, on both points! :)

I wonder how much future monkey of the OS for the Galaxy will there be given the recent announcement of Bootloader lock down. Now its not to say it won't be done. My T-MO G2 was supposed to be unable to be root permanently and then flashed to new roms. However, that has been accomplished. The Nice thing with Android it is being added to WinMo Devices. As example I also own a HD2 which, I now have dumped WinMo in NAND and put on Gingerbread rom.

I can't wait for CES to see what comes of the tablet options.

Ok, the biggest thing I see there that excited me is the gmail app, with folders on the left side. They could easily implement that now with the Tab. A lot of the interface does look like Chrome, and some of it strikes me as Windows Aero-like - which I am not impressed by. And the flipping pages on the ebooks is just plain annoying. I believe the iBooks app does that too; its just not necessary imho.

I would hate that the only reason that Honeycomb requires dual core is because they are wasting processing time on an Aero-like interface. Of course many of us turn Aero off just to speed things up.

Still... exciting times.

Oh, one more thing.. To say that Android 3 is Tablet only would assume that Gingerbread would be the last Phone OS, and I have a hard time believing that. They'd be better to just keep the Android nomenclature for smartphones, and say that Android Tablets run a version of Chrome.

When GMail creator said three weeks ago that Chrome OS will either merge with Android or die altogether, I didn't pay much attention
Gmail Creator Paul Buchheit: Chrome OS Will Perish Or “Merge” With Android

Now this outcome looks much more likely.

Android on smartphones has to catch a break.
Many don't have Froyo, nobody but Nexus S and XDA geeks have Gingerbread.
Who will be interested in Gingerbread if Honeycomb is out in 3 month and runs on smartphones...?
My guess would be: nobody.

One possible scenario: Android is the unified name.
All odd number releases are for tablets. Even - for smartphones. Use common development platform.
The second is a subset of the first where much more attention is paid to graphics/resolution and 2-core CPUs are a must...

Diogen.

Looks like asus is getting aggressive with their tablet pricing. If I read correctly, the 10 inch dual core starts at $399.

interesting times indeed.

John Kotches said:
Looks like asus is getting aggressive with their tablet pricing. If I read correctly, the 10 inch dual core starts at $399.

interesting times indeed.

John: I think in a year we will see the price of the tablets center around $199 for base minimum feature set. I believe apps will slowly increase in price too. Heck I'm seeing the apps price point going up already. But many are getting much better at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)