Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

John Kotches said:
Hmmm. Check the browser setting for mobile sites. That could be jacking up your results.

Swyped on my PC36100 using tapatalk!

I set dolphin to desktop mode so all pages load in full mode. Nada.

I have a hard time connecting my laptop to the wifi in hotels. No problems at home on my network.

My wife is testing the wifi in her office building which is the Omni Hotel building downtown. She discovered they have two wifi networks showing up on her ipad. One is closed to the public and the other is for guests. The one for guests first requires you access it like any other wifi and then you are sent to a web page for Omni Hotels and here you have to sign in and agree to a disclaimer that is a mile long of legalese. IT's still free but they make you then view all sorts of advertising before you are released to the internet.
My point is hotels are all different in how they implement the wifi they offer to their guests. In most cases, these connections protocols are designed around conventional PC's as the easiest, MACs may make you jump through an extra hoop, and ipads and Galaxies are so new that maybe they are just not compatible yet. I'm waiting to see how my wife figures out the Omni Hotel wifi process. In an effort to capitalize on their wifi investment, hotels may have a poorly implemented ad campaign and/or security to prevent outsiders from access benefits for hotel guests.
MY wife says the SSID for the open ( no pad lock) wifi is Omni Guests and Lobby. Her office window overlooks the lobby two floors below so she has good signal to that network.

I never succeeded with the hotel wifi, even though the dx worked fine with it. Strange.

Also realized on the train that I needed to encrypt my wireless tether, two people kept trying to jump on, and I kept booting them off :) but it was easy enough to set up access control and security. I think I am going to rename the SSID to "notyourwifi" :)

I think I am going to rename the SSID to "notyourwifi"

Great idea! MY wifi router on the htc TP2 is already wpa but I still like your SSID idea but I'd be more inclined to be a bit stronger in the wording.

My wife got the Omni Hotel wifi working on her ipad today and reported good results watching HD on the Sling adapter. She said it lasted without hesitation for about 20 minutes and then just quit. When she looked in the wifi settings the Hotel wifi SSID was gone! Oh boy! I wonder if the Hotel geek was wondering who was "stealing" their wifi at 6Mbs sustained for 20 minutes? :D He'll probably lock out her MAC ID. He could do that right?

Great idea! MY wifi router on the htc TP2 is already wpa but I still like your SSID idea but I'd be more inclined to be a bit stronger in the wording.

My wife got the Omni Hotel wifi working on her ipad today and reported good results watching HD on the Sling adapter. She said it lasted without hesitation for about 20 minutes and then just quit. When she looked in the wifi settings the Hotel wifi SSID was gone! Oh boy! I wonder if the Hotel geek was wondering who was "stealing" their wifi at 6Mbs sustained for 20 minutes? :D He'll probably lock out her MAC ID. He could do that right?

Yes, he could, easily. I'd recommend just NOT slinging. Could have been a fatal blunder for long term access. :(

rockymtnhigh said:
Yes, he could, easily. I'd recommend just NOT slinging. Could have been a fatal blunder for long term access. :(

But that was the whole idea of using the hotel in the first place. She has the verizon 5spot and it works great for web surfing and email and even video downloads.

Here's hoping for verizon LTE soon!

But that was the whole idea of using the hotel in the first place. She has the verizon 5spot and it works great for web surfing and email and even video downloads.

Here's hoping for verizon LTE soon!

Oh, I didn't realize you already had 3G for it; i assumed you wanted the wifi so there would be connectivity.

I got over to to the gym today to do some cardio on a machine, and decided to bring the tab as a test. It sat nicely on the Precor Eliptical machine, and I was able to watch an episode of Deep Blue that I had downloaded. Picture quality was excellent. Sure as heck beats using a 3.7" ipod touch. I had downloaded the episode from the Samsung Media Hub, and was impressed with that as well.

I have wanted a portable video setup like that for awhile; and that was pretty cool.

On the SSID renaming: Since you will be the only consumer on your mobile hot-spot, why not turn off the broadcast of the SSID so you don't have "leeches" trying to hop on?

Verizon has dropped price of Galaxy Tab to $499 with $60 in free movie rentals included. Hoping Best Buy follows suit ASAP, so I can get the price match.

Rmh:

Isnt the 499 price a subsidized price (ie data service requirement)?

Just IMO, but I find the Galaxy Tabs expensive in comparison to its competitor, the ipad. 499 gets me a 16 gb ipad with no data requirement.

Rmh:

Isnt the 499 price a subsidized price (ie data service requirement)?

Just IMO, but I find the Galaxy Tabs expensive in comparison to its competitor, the ipad. 499 gets me a 16 gb ipad with no data requirement.

IF it requires one, it is just for one month.

Not like the Sprint or T-Mobile packages, where they require 2 year commitment for $399 for the Tab.

My wife paid $550 for mine at Best Buy, with no contract. So, its price was a bit higher ($50) than an ipad. The Tab has 16GB card, plus 1.2Gb of internal storage. I am very happy with it. I a still working on my review of the tab. Hope to post it tomorrow or Monday. I just haven't had time to finish it.

So, in the

Okay, pricing parity with iphone is better.

I'm excited to see what shows up @ CES, as I think the Tegra2 tablets (CPU is a dual core ARM A9) are going to be incredible performers.

As for Verizon prices go...

ipad from Verizon was bundled last month with the new 5spot wifi device ( this is Verizon's latest version of mifi ) for free. The data package for ipad / 5spot was a minimum of 3 months @ $25 / mo / 3 Gb with $10 per Gb over run charge.

MY bottom line charges were: $499 for the ipad and Fivespot, plus $100 for the service for 3 months in advance which included a $25 connect fee. The data package for the 5spot was guaranteed for life as long as you don't suspend service for more than 3 months at a time. This means that if I find myself not in need of the 5spot device, I could suspend it for up to 3 months and not lose the pricing plan. If future plans offer better pricing, I could switch to that at any time. When LTE version of 5spot comes out, I can upgrade to it at anytime with the LTE plan.

Since I was planning to buy the mifi device with an ipad anyway, this seemed like a better deal for me. I like that we can use this with any 5 computers and it was free hardware with only a 3 month obligation on service. Plus, unlike the mifi2200, the Fivespot is self contained and does not require a PC to set up the hotspot. It's more like a cellphone that only does wifi tethering. The mifi2200 has a USB cable that has to be plugged into a PC to activate the wifi hotspot. All you do with Fivespot is one button turn it on and then know your PW Key for your encryption.

Note- I just checked and the $25 promotional deal for 3Gb per month has expired and the price is their normal $35 for 3Gb. These promotionals vary according to your area zip code, however.

Just as the 7" tablet is DOA, rumors are afloat that Honeycomb will NOT SUPPORT anything less than a dual core processor, and thus, ensuring the demise of the Galaxy Tab. I have been commenting on a thread at Droid-Life on this one, and just making fun of it. I am not in the least bit worried that my Tab will be dead in the next six months. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)