Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

I don't think the Ipad is suppose to be a replacement for a Kindle, it's suppose to be a replacement for a notebook with a touch screen.

So far the Android and Dell pad is too small, might as well use a phone.

I know, the ipad is an all-purpose device. Yet, there are comfort consequences of the size and weight.

But from looking at video of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, it really seems to be the best of all worlds. A True Star-Trek comm-pad form factor. 7" screen is one inch larger than a Kindle, but half the weight of an ipad. Now, I would love to actually use one to compare its actual feel, but from what I am seeing, it looks very nice. And on my potential wish list. :)

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, I'd have an ipad right now, as it is the best thing out right now. But money is an object, so I am waiting and researching, and hoping for something even better to meet my own needs/wants.

I know, the ipad is an all-purpose device. Yet, there are comfort consequences of the size and weight.

But from looking at video of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, it really seems to be the best of all worlds. A True Star-Trek comm-pad form factor. 7" screen is one inch larger than a Kindle, but half the weight of an ipad. Now, I would love to actually use one to compare its actual feel, but from what I am seeing, it looks very nice. And on my potential wish list. :)

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, I'd have an ipad right now, as it is the best thing out right now. But money is an object, so I am waiting and researching, and hoping for something even better to meet my own needs/wants.

My sister got hers for free, she won it at work.

I just don't like small screens. I can't watch videos on a phone, just too small.

My sister got hers for free, she won it at work.

I just don't like small screens. I can't watch videos on a phone, just too small.

But a 7" screen is not small for a hand-held device, its pretty versatile. Its not phone-small, that's for sure. There should probably be something in between, maybe an 8 1/2" screen. that might be the perfect size, but you can hold a Galaxy Tab in one hand. Something neat about that.

Winning one would be nice. :)

The main problem I've always had with a cell phone size screen is the size of the webpages. It just doesn't work. With videos and sling, I never much felt it was too small because the cell phone size screen (PDA) was used up close and personal, in addition, I bought a pair of +2.5 Diopter glasses that gave that extra bit of size needed for some smaller text.
As for the ipad weight, I could never understand the concern for that since the ipad is not something you will carry around or hold in your hand in front of your face. Rather it is used as a device you pick up and sit upright in your lap or on a table. Some industrial uses may be an issue for weight for lengthy data entry but that application has not yet materialized for the ipad. Most of the uses for the ipad has been consumer and there it is quite popular as is. Even my cell phone weight is nopt an issue because I rarely hold it to my face since I use a BT headset. I'm thinking it is a Kindle habit from the paperbook size and weight comfort zone that Rocky hangs onto. By contrast, I was never a paperback book reader and therefore my ipad use is an improvement for laptop use. So fopr me the weight is much less! :)

There are a couple of ways one can get an ipad for free or great discount but you'll need to work at it. The online auctions have many that sell for under $200. at swipebids.com. Personally, I sold and bought back Apple stock in a 3 day run up and sell off that was quite predictable if one was following the technicals of the Apple market. You could have done that in this past week with either Google or Apple stock. But, as with all things that are great deals, they come with a level of risk that you have to weigh. I've always felt the odds of winning an ipad with stock trades is much less of a gamble than chancing it in a raffle or contest. But we have those here too, mostly with the radio station call in and be the 5th to say you like to listen to WXYZ etc.

Dell introduced their version of the tablet but it is ( IMO) way too small. 5" screen puts it in the vicinity of my PDA. They call it the Streak and it has been on the market for $580 since August. Uses service from AT&T and can be had for a discount with a 2 year contract. I have no sales estimates for the device but if it were good we'd know about it. Also, recently Mike Dell flashed a 7" Android tablet at the Oracle meeting. No details were given but it is speculated that makers of the smaller screen devices will not fare well against the current trend in ipad form factor. ( 9.7" )

NewsFlash Just in:

Apple earnings beat estimates for fourth quarter
4:33p ET October 18, 2010 (MarketWatch)
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - Apple Inc. blew past Wall Street's forecasts for its fourth-fiscal quarter as earnings soared on strong sales of the company's iPhone 4 and iPad. For the quarter, Apple reported net income of $4.31 billion, or $4.64 per share, compared to net income of $2.53 billion, or $2.77 per share, for the same period the previous year. Revenue jumped 67% to $20.34 billion. Analysts were expecting earnings of $4.10 per share on revenue of $18.9 billion, according to consensus estimates from FactSet Research.

Now's the time to buy back in on this as the stock just dropped $20 a share. Give it a day or two and you can get your ipad for free! Or wait until the Samsung Galaxy is out and probably by then make enough to buy the whole family Galaxies for free. Disclosure- I'm in on this move.

Last edited:
Not sure what Apple's stock performance has to do with looking at alternative tablets, but I get your enthusiasm. :)

I agree a 5" screen is too small, but I think a 7" screen has real potential as an intermediate size. We'll see once we get to actually see a Galaxy Tab.

UK is the next country in Europe to get the Tab
Galaxy tab gets a price in the uk - The Inquirer

Interesting, that it is priced exactly like the spec matching iPad: £529 for 16GB/3G/WiFi.
It comes with the latest Android (2.2, aka Froyo) and microSD slot...

Diogen.

From Amazon.uk

Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab Smart Media Device (ARM Cortex A8 1GHz, 16GB, 7 inch TFT LCD, 3G, BT 3.0, Android 2.2): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Alas, according to google, £599.99 = $951. :(

If I had made a killing on that Apple stock like Don, I would buy myself one. Alas, it ain't happening. ;) :D

Dell introduced their version of the tablet but it is ( IMO) way too small. 5" screen puts it in the vicinity of my PDA. They call it the Streak and it has been on the market for $580 since August. Uses service from AT&T and can be had for a discount with a 2 year contract. I have no sales estimates for the device but if it were good we'd know about it. Also, recently Mike Dell flashed a 7" Android tablet at the Oracle meeting. No details were given but it is speculated that makers of the smaller screen devices will not fare well against the current trend in ipad form factor. ( 9.7" )

NewsFlash Just in:

Now's the time to buy back in on this as the stock just dropped $20 a share. Give it a day or two and you can get your ipad for free! Or wait until the Samsung Galaxy is out and probably by then make enough to buy the whole family Galaxies for free. Disclosure- I'm in on this move.

I just saw your edit -- you are right, if I was willing and able to spend the dough on the market to make a quick buck, a lot of money could be made, but just not in that place right now. It is an interesting way of thinking about ways to generate cash though. (In my past I'd just be stupid and put a purchase on plastic, but I learned the hard way and DO NOT do that anymore! :) )

RE: 7" form factor v 10", time will tell. From my use of the kindle, I know I really like that form factor. But I see the argument for either.

Here's a new one- Recently Google filed for a Trademark "Speedbook" Anyone know what this will be used for? Recall when Google offered it's own branded phone? Some think this was trademarked for a Google designed tablet.

Here's a new one- Recently Google filed for a Trademark "Speedbook" Anyone know what this will be used for? Recall when Google offered it's own branded phone? Some think this was trademarked for a Google designed tablet.

That would be cool if it is for a tablet. But who knows. :)

Actually, on Amazon UK it is now £529 as well...

Based on the Streak pricing (£399 in UK and $499 in US), the "full" Tab would be around $660.
But since it will have some features stripped, I wouldn't be surprised if it is $599 unlocked...

Diogen.

Actually, on Amazon UK it is now £529 as well...

Based on the Streak pricing (£399 in UK and $499 in US), the "full" Tab would be around $660.
But since it will have some features stripped, I wouldn't be surprised if it is $599 unlocked...

Diogen.

Well that changed overnight. But it is still the equivalent of $832USD. That looks to be an unlocked price on Amazon, as no carrier is mentioned in the product page. And one of the comments refers to another European vendor selling it for the same £529.

Regardless, just not happening for me now. :)

Look to Dell for the typical subsidized pricing from AT&T. $579 for purchase, with 2 year AT&T contract- $299.

Trouble is, I find the service just a convenience, not a necessity. In a minute I can turn on my cell phone wifi router and have service to my ipad so who needs the cost of the service each month? 6 months is the BE point if I did my math correctly. Pay the full price!

IMO- these other devices will have to compete in the US against ipad pricing. Look again to Dell- too expensive and too small = no sales!

Regardless, just not happening for me now. :)
You mean buying from there? Have no interest either...

I'm still torn between the Streak and the Tab, in general terms - between the 5" and 7" form factors.
Both have pros and cons. No rush atm, neither is available in Canada, waiting for the Dell 7" Tab...

Diogen.

I think they'll be expensive enough to get me to resist an impulse purchase until Gingerbread devices hit.

Probably get a really nice device in a few months for the price the Streak/Tab will have debuted at.

I'd really like to know how easy it would be to hack them: try different OSs, WP7 and the Linux variants included...

Diogen.

Those prices are way too high. Why buy one of them when I can get a netbook for the same price or cheaper.

Why buy one of them when I can get a netbook for the same price or cheaper.
Mobility.
Regardless how you look at it, netbooks require you to sit down. And so does the iPad.
The 7" widescreen Pads seem to be the biggest form factor you can hold in one hand and operate with the other...
Bonus: using in the car for all sort of things.

Also, Dell's devices are going to use Gorilla glass across all models...

Don't get me wrong, they ain't cheap, I agree with that. An are not replacing neither the phone nor the netbook.
But the added convenience is nice...

Diogen.

I think they'll be expensive enough to get me to resist an impulse purchase until Gingerbread devices hit.

Probably get a really nice device in a few months for the price the Streak/Tab will have debuted at.

According to Droid Life, reports out about several Gingerbread-powered tablets to be introduced at CES. Of course, introducing something at CES, and getting it into retail, is a different issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)