Finally!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I sure wish we had the option to print this entire thread because it sure easy to lose track of what's been posted. If there is a way to print would someone let me know, if not how about looking into adding it as an option administrators.

Under 'Thread Tools' there is a 'Show Printable Version' - not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Some Forums have an option to determine how many posts per page are displayed, I guess that's what you really want, Posts Per Page = ALL then Print!

Or...a new option 'Download thread as a searchable PDF'

Let's just lock this and be done with it. It's degenrated into something absolutely useless. I'll be glad to leave.
Leave the thread open so you guys can sit here behind my back and continue to insult me? Not very fair is it?

Please lock the thread. It's done. Stick a fork in it.

Goodbye.

well since we have gone way off thread now with people arguing with other folks and since the OP has requested it be closed, I have to close the thread

The devil is hairlipped tonight

because ~~ I ~~ got that BIG dish assembled, put up and ~~ working ~~ today....

I told you guys I would do it. I said I would make it work even if it hairlipped the devil.

So I'm sitting here watching MeTV and it's coming in really, really, really strong and clear.

It was NOT easy. I spent the past few weeks cleaning all the metal parts with acid (something called ospho) and wire brushes on a drill then painting everything several coats.

I cut the pole down. I watched Dad do the first one back some weeks ago so I figured I could do that. And I did. I borrowed his saw and I cut it down all by myself and didn't even get hurt doing it. I just took my time and when it got close I took the saw away and pushed the top part off and let it fall.

Dad welded the ring properly and brought it back. I bolted it onto the dish, that was pretty hard to get that ring in place by myself. My back is telling me right now that I went a little over my limits.

I dragged the dish out to the pole and bolted the big heavy bottom part to the dish ring. Then I mounted the motor to it so that it can't tip side to side.

At this point I was stuck because it's waaaaay too heavy for me to lift up onto the pole. Yeah, I did try. No, I could not.

So I called my dad and he said he had a meeting to go to this evening and could stop over on his way.

Mom and Dad popped in a few hours later, my dad and I were able to lift the dish onto the top of the pole. With two of us, it wasn't a big deal at all. Mainly my dad lifted and I steadied it while he tipped it just so until it fell down onto the pole. It took less than 2 minutes. Done deal.

Mom and dad left and I went in to cool off awhile.

A few hours later I took my little meter and went outside. I took a wild guess and turned the lnb to about the position it had been in on the other dish when I had been able to find MeTV and tightened it down. It was a wild guess, I was hoping to get anything, I didn’t care what, I just wanted it to give me an indication that I was in the general area.

I took the tip-o-meter thing and set the angle to 30 degrees exactly. The other setting, you can’t change easily. There are three bolt holes and I could see it used to be on the middle hole so I set it on that. It’s one of the x-clanation settings. I still don’t get that stuff. But whatever.

So turn the dish in the general direction of 87 AMC 3, hook the meter up and wait while it booted. I expected “NO SIGNAL”. Um, NOPE...... FIRST THING that pops onto the screen is NASA. Something to do with the space station. WOA.. Really??

So I turn the dish a little on the pole east and west for the best signal and tighten those bolts.
I’m thinking that’s gonna be it, just like the little dish where I could get NASA and nothing else.
I almost didn’t do it but at the last second I decided to check and see what else I could get. I hit blind scan and bingo, MeTV and thisTV show up in the found channels along with a lot of other stuff. Woa........

Not bad for first shot, wild guess with no tweaking.....

ThisTV shows a weak signal though and doesn’t come in, yet. I’ll get it later.

I’m sure that when I go out and put some real effort into it and carefully tweak it, I can get all the good stuff on AMC 3.

I don’t have the motor situation figured out just yet so I just ran the lnb of the big dish into the discque 8x1 switch for now. Actually all the dishes are plugged into the discque switch for now because I don’t have the motors running, yet.

I knew that little dish was a lost cause. So I’m going to aim it at probably 99 Galaxy 16, I think I saw one of the church channels there runs Green Acres and a few other oldies. I’ll just park it there, tweak it as best as I can and leave it the heck alone.

Also. During the past week or so, I sat down and looked over the motor situation for the ku dish that I’ve been wanting to do something with for more than a year. I looked and looked and decided I was going to do something, anything, somehow, someway with it.

I got out the digital measuring gadget and tried to find something I could use to adapted it’s tube to the pole clamp on the back of a dish. I though maybe some pvc pipe might work, it was close but not right. Then I checked the inside of a fence post and found out it was just right. But there was the problem of that lip on the motor tube. Heck with that! I took a saw and cut that lip off then sawed off a short piece of fence post and slid it onto the tube. Perfect fit... I drilled a hole through both of them and bolted it so it couldn’t slide off. I took a ku dish and flipped the pole mount on it upside down then bolted it to the motor. And bingo, that worked just fine...

I bolted the motor to a pole and took the meter out and played around until I got a good signal on 91 Galaxy 17 ku. I found all sorts of interesting things there that pop in and out. Unlisted goodies. Best luck finding things in the morning and early afternoon.

I did not make the motor work on it. I just aimed it at the satellite and wired the lnb directly to the main switch with all the others. I’ll worry about it later.

I have a little switch I bought last year for 22k, I think it’s an encoder. I have no idea how to make it work. Yet.

My goal is to have the encoda switch between the big dish and the ku dishes.

I don’t know how to explain it so I’ll try to illustrate it.
I understand that I can’t put the motor after the switch, that it has to be before the switch or it will burn the switch out. So I’ll run the wire to the motor, from the motor to switch and then a wire from the lnb to the switch. And the big dish won’t be on a discque switch. The encoder switch will switch over to the Gbox and the Gbox will be able to move the big dish.

Now I have no idea how to set all that up. I can connect all the wires up, that’s easy. But I don’t know how to make the pc understand what I want it to do. Yet.
I’ll figure it out, one of these days. I’ll keep reading and scratching my head and trying and trying until I get it.

I knew that little 6‘ dish was too beat up to ever work right. I had waaaay too much trouble with it, what with me being a beginner and all and it being damaged from my clumsy assembly and handling methods. I knew there was no point in continuing to frustrate and aggravate myself over that thing so I just quit on it and put my efforts into the big dish.

And on the very first try with no tweaking at all, I got my channels... THAT, is good. If I had that much success straight off with it then with some effort I should be able to do far better and get ALL the goodies. I’ll work on tweaking it over the next few days.

And I’ll keep at it on the other stuff, the motor controllers, until I figure them out too.
I can’t help it, I’m too hard headed not to.

So there... :p I did it. :p I said I would and I did.... :p Meh.............:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Attachments

• what I hope for.resized.jpg
    what I hope for.resized.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_3901.resized.JPG
    IMG_3901.resized.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3915.resized.JPG
    IMG_3915.resized.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3911.resized.JPG
    IMG_3911.resized.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_3913.resized.JPG
    IMG_3913.resized.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3902.resized.JPG
    IMG_3902.resized.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3916.resized.JPG
    IMG_3916.resized.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3914.resized.JPG
    IMG_3914.resized.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3928.resized.JPG
    IMG_3928.resized.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
sweet! Very nice job! You have advanced quickly with this hobby. You learned much faster than i did. congrats-the big dish looks awesome.

i just got another 10' channel master black mesh.

So, I went out today with my nifty new meter and tweaked the big dish a little. Reaching the lnb is very difficult on this big beast, platform or not, it's a looooong reach over to the darn thing. Since last night when I got massively lucky and found MeTV on the very first try, I went out today and used a paint pen to mark the lnb right where it was.

Then I loosened it up, set the meter for the transponder that has thisTV and turned it a bit. About three tries and I hit thisTV.

I tweaked it to get the best I could then checked to see if the other channels were working. Indeed they were!

I confirmed with 100% certainty that I was getting MeTV, thisTV and NASA. I was. I tightened the lnb back down, reconnected the cables and went inside.

I put the encoder switch on and tried it out. I was getting all the ku satellites without problem but not the big dish. I checked the pc settings and after some googling I figured out that there was an extra zero in the 22kz command. I deleted the extra zero and hit scan. BINGO! All the channels scanned in like a charm!

So now I have the big C-band dish pulling in almost all the channels I want, it's on the 22kz switch so that I will be able to add the Gbox on it later and the ku satellites are on the zero side of the encoder switch and they all work fine too.

At the moment I have none of the motors wired up to work but I do not care right now. I'll get to them later. For now, I'm going to take a few days to relax and enjoy all my lovely, lovely, wonderful new channels!

I'm pleased as punch that I got the flippin thing working.
For now I'm not worried about the little Cband dish, I'll aim it at the satellite with the Leasea (whatever that is) church channels so I can get Green Acres and stuff. Eventually.

It's hard to get good pictures right now because of the partial shade causing extremes of contrast. I'll try to take a better picture later when the sun drops a bit.

OH, and speaking of the sun, I did not have ANY fading out issues when the sun came up this morning like before. MeTV stayed strong and solid all day long. Nary a single fade, drop out or glitch. I couldn't ask for better.

Oh, and I painted the big dish with latex outdoor paint. I had them mix a dark charcoal grey, it looks pretty nice in real life, you can't really tell by the pictures. I need to get a brush and touch up some holidays but I can do that anytime.

I'm set... I got my channels! :p

Attachments

• IMG_3935.resized.JPG
    IMG_3935.resized.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3938.resized.JPG
    IMG_3938.resized.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3941b.resized.JPG
    IMG_3941b.resized.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
OH, and speaking of the sun, I did not have ANY fading out issues when the sun came up this morning like before. MeTV stayed strong and solid all day long. Nary a single fade, drop out or glitch. I couldn't ask for better.

I'm set... I got my channels! :p

Size makes all the difference with C-band. 8ft minimum is my rule. You're set now, with a 10 up. Good job Dee-Ann! :D:up Now relax and watch some TV! :popcorn

Hello Dee Ann
Good job lady, enjoy and kick back, how tall are the poles on the c-dishes?
please let me know .
Regards.
Chewie

Size makes all the difference with C-band. 8ft minimum is my rule. You're set now, with a 10 up. Good job Dee-Ann! :D:up Now relax and watch some TV! :popcorn

Ah yes, so it would seem, bigger is better.... I'm chillin now to some Hawaii 5.0 which I haven't been able to do for quite some time.
I'll take a few weeks to relax and enjoy it all then once I feel renewed I'll get after those motors. But for now, it's working great and I am afraid to mess with it any further. But I know one thing, I will be marking things as they are now so that if things go a-miss I can always go back to where it was before.

And now that the source of my frustration has been sent to the back of the class I can focus on more important things like getting my temper under control.. :eek:

Hello Dee Ann
Good job lady, enjoy and kick back, how tall are the poles on the c-dishes?
please let me know .
Regards.
Chewie

Chewie, the poles were cut down to 4 feet tall, each one. However the 6 foot dish has a weird custom adapter my dad made so that it could be bolted to standard size US water pipe (I think that's what it is) so that one is a little extra taller, with the 4' pipe and the adapter he made, it comes out to be just under 5' tall.

In retrospect, I can see that it would be no problem at all if they were both cut down to three feet tall, it would actually make working on them sooooooo much easier and I think it would make them safer in high winds. Hurricane season just started here so I'm really worried about that as we've been hit quite a few times in the past decade or so...

One of the guys suggested buying some fence T posts, driving them in at angles and tying wires to the poles and fence posts like you see on giant TV towers out in fields. I very much like that suggestion and need to get that done asap. The only problem is that we are having an extreme drought and the ground has turned to concrete! My yard has died and is turning into a desert dirt field. I don't think it's possible to hammer anything into the ground right now. I'll have to wait until we get a good soaking rain. That may be a long way off from what they are telling us. It's not looking good at all for rain. Heck, the gas in my John Deere is going to go bad from just sitting!

Attachments

• image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 122
  • t_post.jpg
    t_post.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 115
Like Dee I too like watching "Green Acres" and looked for it on Leasea's website before I would take the time to adjust a dish back to Galaxy 16, but didn't see it listed on their schedule anymore.

Can someone please confirm if "Green Acres" is indeed still on Leasea's channel, so that Dee and I can get our "Green Acres" fix? :)

Like Dee I too like watching "Green Acres" and looked for it on Leasea's website before I would take the time to adjust a dish back to Galaxy 16, but didn't see it listed on their schedule anymore.

Can someone please confirm if "Green Acres" is indeed still on Leasea's channel, so that Dee and I can get our "Green Acres" fix? :)

Some weeks ago when I was fighting with the 6' dish I checked the Leasea (sp?) channels on that satellite and I indeed did watch one episode of Green Acres before going back to the muddled up mess on 87 and then losing everything.

I went to their website, Lyngsat, The List and Titan and was able to get the right info to add them into Titan and get proper, correct listing for their programs. :)

My only problem is that it comes on during People's Court. Sigh....

Attachments

• Screenshot-102.png
    Screenshot-102.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 176
Dee,

I can see why that 6ft gives you trouble. In this photo it appears that the lower right pannel is deformed (at about 5 oclock)

This dish being undersize for C-band would have to be in perfect condition for reasonable performance.

IMG_3941b_resized-2.jpg

Dee,

I can see why that 6ft gives you trouble. In this photo it appears that the lower right pannel is deformed (at about 5 oclock)

This dish being undersize for C-band would have to be in perfect condition for reasonable performance.

IMG_3941b_resized-2.jpg

Yes, actually most of the leaves are bent, some more than others. It's in pretty bad shape.
When I assembled it it had been raining a lot and we had severe mosquitoes going on so like an idiot, I attempted to assemble it in my kitchen.
Things went downhill from there. I bent it several times during assembly then more as I tried to get it out the door to the back yard and more over the months and months it languished in the back yard collecting leaves and rain water, rusting away as it spent it's first months as a bird bath and frog pond laying on the ground. It got moved numerous times and each time, got bent. I tried to fix the bends but apparently I failed at it. And when it finally came time to pop it onto the pole, it got bent even more.

I would suspect that if it had been properly assembled by a non-idiot and put up by a non-idiot, it may have worked just fine. Many of you guys have said that you have the same dish and that it works just fine for you. I do not doubt that at all. Iceman showed screen shots of several channels that he gets with the same dish and it works fine for him.

I had a LOT working against me though.
#1: I am totally inexperienced.
#2: I am not mechanically inclined.
#3: I am a fumble fingers.
#4: I am an idiot and don't listen to others advice until it's too late.

Had I just paid an experienced dish installer to put the thing together and set it up for me, I'm sure it would be rock-n-rollin right now.
But, I messed up big times and pretty much ruined it. Lesson learned I suppose.

The good thing about it though, it pushed me to buy that nifty tuner/meter gadget and that thing ROCKS! I only wish I could plug it into a pc to edit it. But it's the cat's socks as far as I'm concerned and a total life saver! Thank goodness I bought that because it makes things soooo much easier than the old way.. I can't imagine not having the thing now.

And I guess I learned ~something~ about C-band. What, I'm not sure. But I know that excluding the physical part of putting up the BIG dish, it was waaaaaaaaay easier to get it working. It was big and heavy and I couldn't do it alone, I had to get my dad to help me put it up but once that was done it was EASY finding the channels I cherish... :D

I am learning I suppose. And after the C-band fiasco, I now consider ku satellite a CAKE WALK. OMG ku is so simple and so easy! I almost don't even need a meter anymore to set up a ku dish. Almost... I usually can get so close to it that I'm just an inch off of the east/west either way, just a light touch and bingo, on the money..

Well, considering that I mangled up the little dish so badly I'm pretty much convinced that it is just going to sit parked on the Harvest network satellite so I can get some of the oldies they run in the afternoons. I just wish I could figure out how to record one channel while I watch another one. I don't think the pc can do that though. Oh well, that's not a priority. The channels on 87 AMC 3, are.....
I got the goodies I wanted and that makes me a very, very happy girl. :D
I worked hard to get these channels. The pay off made it worth it..

:)

Some weeks ago when I was fighting with the 6' dish I checked the Leasea (sp?) channels on that satellite and I indeed did watch one episode of Green Acres before going back to the muddled up mess on 87 and then losing everything.

I went to their website, Lyngsat, The List and Titan and was able to get the right info to add them into Titan and get proper, correct listing for their programs. :)

My only problem is that it comes on during People's Court. Sigh....

Hi Dee,
You have more dishes up then i do! LOL! It gets easier now. Congrats on the new dish.
What is titan?
Kodaz

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)