Finally!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glad to see your 10 footer is working well for you Dee.You should be able to get just about anything thats on a satellite now.Just curios!how well are you getting RTV on AMC3

Booooooyeah! I just hit all the RTV S2 channels on 87.......

Yeah baby!

So, I was all proud of myself, I had MeTV and thisTV rockin on last night, I watched Twilight zone :D and Highway Patrol and Sea Patrol and one of my very favorites, The Outer Limits! I fell asleep watching thisTV about day break.

I woke up later in the afternoon to discover that the picture was kinda freezy again like it did before on the little dish. Grrrrrrrrr!!

So I went outside and took the tape off the motor (I had taped the motor when it came in so I couldn't accidentally mess it up), loosened the bolts, extended the motor to the halfway and tightened it back down.

I go back inside and try to operate it and get errors on the Gbox. I googled the error message "E 2" and it said there was no signal coming from the motor. I checked and found the sensor wire had come loose. I put the wire back, erased the box memory to factory and bumped it around until I got a GOOD picture on 87.

Then just for fun I rescanned the satellite. BOOM! All sorts of new channels appear! TONS (30+) of channels show up on 3800 horizontal.

But, sadly, the picture quality is not good.

One thing I do understand is resolution. I am an amateur photographer (at the hobby level) and I have worked with video editing at one job many years ago editing safety training video tapes for a refinery. So I know about video resolution.

RTV on 83 is running 352x480 which is VHS video tape quality. 1980's technology... :(
RTV on 87 is running 720x480 which is approximately DVD quality. 1990's technology. :(

But the picture quality on 87 is not very good. The pixels are large and sparkly. It looks like they are taking the 352x480 video and upscaling it to 720x480. Some DVD players do that so as to fill the screen of modern large flat screen TV's. It's not a very good solution but until the world gets out of the 80's and 90's, we're stuck with it I suppose. Likely for many years to come.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent about that... I swear, I will never, ever complain about that ever again. This was a one shot complaint. ;)

And I see today that MeTV is squishing the video down into a letterbox format. For what reason I can't imagine. Maybe so that flat screens will try to rescale it to look better in, flat screens?

Anyway... So yeah, I got the pot of gold on 87 now. It has it's good points and it's weak points but I'm not going to complain too much because it's all FREE...... So I'll take what I can get and be happy with it. Quietly...

Oh, and I put the hat on the big boy last night... :D

I still haven't worried about any other satellites and haven't programmed or officially tweaked the dish or lnb for the best performance. I have ALL the goodies I need on 87 and messing with it is a very, very low priority now.

The six foot dish, I'm going to point at the World Harvest satellite, several of the Leasea (sp?) channels have some cool oldies that don't air on 83 or 87.

I ~KNEW~ that the big dish would be the answer to my woes...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

edit: It seems that MeTV only ran Wild Wild West in that smushed down format, for some unknown reason. Hogan's Hero's is displaying normally. Oh well, whatever.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3964b.JPG
    IMG_3964b.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3960b.JPG
    IMG_3960b.JPG
    855.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Hi Dee,
You have more dishes up then i do! LOL! It gets easier now. Congrats on the new dish.
What is titan?
Kodaz

Titantv.com --> http://titantv.com

They are an online TV guide that you can customize to your heart's desire. It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good and it's free.

Attachments

• Screenshot-107.png
    Screenshot-107.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 169
Oh man! There's real gold in the S2 channels! Apparently different stations run different stuff than the main channel.
I found all sorts of good stuff like Suspense Theater!
I see Wolfman Jack running B movies too! And stuff is time shifted for different time zones too so if I miss something I can very probably catch it later!

This was TOTALLY WORTH THE H*LL I went through to get this going! I found so much good stuff to watch but I can't watch it all at once! I need to set up a way to record one channel while I watch another..... Or two. Or three! :D

Dee, Watch the wires on the Gbox they tend to work loose very easy. You know you probably owe your dad a big steak dinner for Fathers Day, for all the work he's done lol...
Blind

I decided to merge your new thread with the original and re-opened it so people can see the whole thread...not a snippet of it.

This will also be my last post in this thread.

Much like slowing down to see an accident on the highway I started reading the 1st post of your "comeback" and after about 3 lines I stopped reading. So why did you come back to post? I could have sworn you said "F this forum, and I'm never coming back", "thanks for nothing", and "I'm thru here"...and now you came back...again..Why? To try and rub it in our faces that you got it working? Well god damn for as much info as was posted in the thread I figured that 2 blind guys could have got the dish working.

By the way you owe me $20 because you did come back.
me on 5/18 said:
You say you'll leave but I got 20 bucks that you'll be back (the fact you responded after your little temper tantrum proves it).

If you are truly coming back I hope you read some of the posts after your last tantrum and actually understand where we are coming from. I am doing something that I normally dont do and that is give someone a third chance. I could have banned you the last time for basically flaming members. But I decided not to. Here is part of what I wrote back in that same post and it still is valid
You did the same thing when RTV dropped the west coast feed on 83W KU and added Tuff TV and you went to their facebook site and complained and damn near got the channels scrambled. We were not very happy (screw it...we were PISSED)...and I'm using "we" as in the FTA folks here at Satelliteguys. I have said it before we are like a family here (a dysfunctional one) but dammit we all seem to get along and help each other. We may have different views but some of us felt betrayed when you went to RTV's facebook page and complained to the point they were gonna scramble the channels. But yet we let you back (basically letting bygones be bygones) and we helped you try and get the 6 foot dish working. The fact you had it very close to working then getting mad and tearing it all down basically wasted alot of folks times....I think some of this has been covered in posts after yours. Your time spent on it may not mean anything but dammit mine does.

As a member here of the FTA area (not even a mod...just a member) I think you owe all of us an apology.

That is all I have to say............

I was really surprised that you came back and posted that you did it all by yourself.

Wow Dee-Ann, congratulations. But I have to comment.

Do you think maybe, just maybe, you learned enough from the six footer on how to adjust, how to find and how to hone in on a satellite?

I was going to respond earlier when you first started your latest post and new thread, but I was absolutely STUNNED to learn that you did it all by yourself with no help other than your Dad.

And not a word of thanks to any of the guys (and ladies) that contributed to the original thread about HOW to do what you found so easy on the big dish.

You may not believe this because you are so dead set against taking any advise now from the people here, you thought you would just come back and tell us how you did it alone, without asking for guidance in aiming your ten footer, or adjusting the LNB, or getting the declination right after moving the big dish (which would have already been set up if moved just that few miles from where it originally lived) to even cutting the length of the pole so it would be easier to work on.

ALL of that was taught you by people that you SLAMMED with your parting statements.

You LEARNED all that from your "Finally" thread.

You really should re-read the final two lines in Iceberg's post, and respond to THAT if nothing else in this entire satelliteguys forum.

You kind of remind me of my at that time teenage step daughter that was eating dinner with us one night after moving out because the home life was too "restrictive" on her social life. She had no job, no money for food, and was behind on her rent, about to be evicted. While arguing with her mother, she pointed out the house, the furniture, the home life we had built together and said something like ... "You could never understand what I am going through, look at ALL THIS YOU HAVE while I have NOTHING!" I guess that meant that for us (at that time) everything just magically appeared, without us having to work at EARNING what we had, it was just THERE, right?

And the knowledge that we have here on this forum just "appeared" one day without working for it? We all started as newbies too, Dee-Ann, and asked questions, and LEARNED by our mistakes. And most of all APPRECIATED what we learned and thanked the people that taught us.

Just as YOU LEARNED by asking questions and asking for information, and LEARNING from the advise given, THAT was how you were able to put that new dish up.

And did you remember to thank your peers here? No.

Well, bottom line here is .... congratulations (again) on getting the big dish up, job well done, enjoy it and maybe thank your Dad by putting one up at his house so Mom and Dad can also enjoy TV.

Photto

Do you think maybe, just maybe, you learned enough from the six footer on how to adjust, how to find and how to hone in on a satellite?

...but I was absolutely STUNNED to learn that you did it all by yourself with no help other than your Dad.

And not a word of thanks to any of the guys (and ladies) that contributed to the original thread about HOW to do what you found so easy on the big dish.

You may not believe this because you are so dead set against taking any advise now from the people here, you thought you would just come back and tell us how you did it alone, without asking for guidance in aiming your ten footer, or adjusting the LNB, or getting the declination right after moving the big dish (which would have already been set up if moved just that few miles from where it originally lived) to even cutting the length of the pole so it would be easier to work on.

ALL of that was taught you by people that you SLAMMED with your parting statements.

You LEARNED all that from your "Finally" thread.

You really should re-read the final two lines in Iceberg's post, and respond to THAT if nothing else in this entire satelliteguys forum.

You kind of remind me of my at that time teenage step daughter that was eating dinner with us one night after moving out because the home life was too "restrictive" on her social life. She had no job, no money for food, and was behind on her rent, about to be evicted. While arguing with her mother, she pointed out the house, the furniture, the home life we had built together and said something like ... "You could never understand what I am going through, look at ALL THIS YOU HAVE while I have NOTHING!" I guess that meant that for us (at that time) everything just magically appeared, without us having to work at EARNING what we had, it was just THERE, right?

And the knowledge that we have here on this forum just "appeared" one day without working for it? We all started as newbies too, Dee-Ann, and asked questions, and LEARNED by our mistakes. And most of all APPRECIATED what we learned and thanked the people that taught us.

Just as YOU LEARNED by asking questions and asking for information, and LEARNING from the advise given, THAT was how you were able to put that new dish up.

And did you remember to thank your peers here? No.
Photto

Photto said so many of the thoughts that went through my mind that I had to re-post

Well there's no way this is going to turn out well for me. :(

I lost internet for 3 days when a wicked storm blew through and took down my road runner cable. I am just now back online last night and catching up today. And here we are with this now..

Some weeks ago, I guess, I reached the apex of my frustration while fighting a no win battle with a damaged dish.

After weeks and weeks of struggling with something that there was no way I was going to get working a few people made jokes about me and or my situation. Jokes that I did not understand and still don't understand. Something POSTED LATER, AFTER THE FACT, about a quote from a movie I have never seen or heard of and have no intention of watching ~just so I get the joke~.. Whatever..

That joking made me mad as a wet hen, I was already frustrated and angry. Poking fun at me was the last straw and that set me off.

As an outsider of the good old boys club I just don't have anything going for me here. I'm trying to push buttered rope uphill.

Did I over react to the 'joking/picking'. Probably. So for that I will say I am sorry.

And yes, you guys have been very helpful and it is because of what I learned here on this forum that I was able to make that undamaged satellite dish work. For that and all the help you have given me, thank you.

I guess there's nothing else for me to say.

Well there's no way this is going to turn out well for me. :(

I lost internet for 3 days when a wicked storm blew through and took down my road runner cable. I am just now back online last night and catching up today. And here we are with this now..

Some weeks ago, I guess, I reached the apex of my frustration while fighting a no win battle with a damaged dish.

After weeks and weeks of struggling with something that there was no way I was going to get working a few people made jokes about me and or my situation. Jokes that I did not understand and still don't understand. Something POSTED LATER, AFTER THE FACT, about a quote from a movie I have never seen or heard of and have no intention of watching ~just so I get the joke~.. Whatever..

That joking made me mad as a wet hen, I was already frustrated and angry. Poking fun at me was the last straw and that set me off.

As an outsider of the good old boys club I just don't have anything going for me here. I'm trying to push buttered rope uphill.

Did I over react to the 'joking/picking'. Probably. So for that I will say I am sorry.

And yes, you guys have been very helpful and it is because of what I learned here on this forum that I was able to make that undamaged satellite dish work. For that and all the help you have given me, thank you.

I guess there's nothing else for me to say.

Dee Ann, as far as the "joke" goes...you should really watch the movie it was from. "Cool Hand Luke" is a CLASSIC! For someone who likes old tv (green acres and what not) I bet you would REALLY enjoy it.

Congrats on getting the dish up!

And just as a point of clarification, there never was a joke of any kind.

Me thinks you assumed what wasn't there because you didn't understand what was said.

And we ALL know what happens when we assume anything.

It makes a Senator out of you and me.

Photto

(now THAT was a "joke.")

you should really watch the movie it was from. "Cool Hand Luke" is a CLASSIC! For someone who likes old tv (green acres and what not) I bet you would REALLY enjoy it.

If you watch Cool Hand Luke, it will help you "get your mind right" !

(now this is a joke, you have to see the movie to appreciate it)

Last edited:
Well I'm impressed. We finally got some rain for the first time in months.

Heavy rain. ALL of my little ku dishes went out. C band never skipped a beat at all.

I like it. :D

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Heavy rain.
ALL of my little ku dishes went out.
C band never skipped a beat at all.
And without argument, you have the best commercial Ku dishes going.
Though for your rainy area, maybe gas stations and liquor stores should deploy 1.2 meter..(?).. or bigger!

This is why I get upset when people want to buy dishes smaller than 36", or recycle the little DBS dishes to FTA.
I've had fun with the little dishes, but here we hardly get enough rain to fill a tea-cup! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)