Fine Tuning A Mesh Dish - Would it be Worth It?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks FaT Air, my Latitude = +49.92, Longitude = -97.05 (Winnipeg in Canada). Not using a Buttonhook I have 2 Norsats for C and KU Band, see pics

Jsattv; where did you get the mounting collar for the scalar ring assembly. I could sure use one for my BUD. Also how much did it cost and from where did you get it.

Jsattv; where did you get the mounting collar for the scalar ring assembly. I could sure use one for my BUD. Also how much did it cost and from where did you get it.

Kallesatman, just to followup found the Dish on kijiji & bought the 12 Ft Dish Pole Mount and complete assembly including Tripod mounting pole, 2'nd hand from the original purchaser locally including Uniden Analog 9900 Receiver & outboard Power Supply and all Manuals for $100.00, which is likely a lot for some to pay, but 12 ft Mesh Dishes don't come along every day up here. After separating the Dish in half had to disassemble everything and haul it across town, had help from a great friend. I believe there is a Post / Thread I made about 3 years ago on the complete assembly with pics in my location. Hardest part was Hand Auger Digging 3 holes about 52 inches deep and filling them with readycrete for mounting the Dish's Tripod. As well as digging a 12 inch trench for the Dish's wiring from my backyard to the house.

Jsattv, thank you for the update. You made a good deal and it looks great. I am interested in obtaining the ring that goes around the scalar. Wonder if that is possible if the mfg. is still in business. I wouldn't thing that the part could cost that much.

Cracklincrotch, who is the manufacturer of the dish, are they still in business and could that part be purchased?

Not sure re Cracklincrotch's Dish, but even though there are no names to be found on my Dish I believe it is a Unimesh.

Great Results re Fine Tuning the 12 Ft Dish

Got Some Great Results - Over the Weekend:
Well the Dish has never been better on 97.0W. A lot of work fine tuning and adjusting has resulted in the best Quality I have ever achieved on 97.0W.
1) Readjusted Declination using the Sears Digital Level, when all was done Final Result was 57.6 to 57.1, see picture. Remembering that the Ideal or Objective for my Location is: 57.18 - 50.57 = 6.61 degrees Declination re Linuxman's Chart: http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm in my previous Post here.
2) Readjusted Inclination on Big Bar (Polar Mount) for Best Signal Quality when finished left it at 50.6, - see picture. Adjustments were made to the Declination Bar and Polar Mount via Pictures 3 & 4 in the first post here.

Results:
Quality has never been better on 97.0W, 16 Tp's have Q = 80 or better, 3 Tp's have Q = 90 or Better. As Iceberg has always said:" It's NOT the Signal it's the Quality. Ie:
TP S Q
11842 69 82
11873 70 84
11897 69 86
12059 67 89
12090 68 98
12152 67 90
12153 66 90
12177 65 82

Worst Tp is 11706 S = 66 Q = 56. So there has been a great improvement on some Tp's such as 12090 - as much as 26 Points. One thing I can say is that $50.00 Sears Digital Level is worth it's weight in gold, without it I would NOT have had this improvement!! It would be even better if it went to 2 decimal places instead of only one. The Declination Bar's Nuts were extremely hard to Loosen had to use 2 hands on the 1&1/8 wrench while on the 6 ft Ladder.

Now need to adjust for Both Sides East & West to see if I'm in the proper Satellite Arc. Thanks all for the help. And yes fine tuning a 12 Footer is definately worth it!!

Attachments

• 12 Ft Mesh Dish Inclination & Declination Settings Nov 2 2010 154.jpg
    12 Ft Mesh Dish Inclination & Declination Settings Nov 2 2010 154.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 12 Ft Mesh Dish Inclination & Declination Settings Nov 2 2010 158.jpg
    12 Ft Mesh Dish Inclination & Declination Settings Nov 2 2010 158.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)