FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I only have about 30 timers set, all of them have fired flawlessly.

Come on Scott, you've had the reciever for a couple of days you should already be up to 200 timers. ;)

Seriously though I have a 501 and 510 that I have the maximum timers on each all the time. I'm hoping this will go away with the 622. Ideally I would like to set say 130 timers and maybe 25-30 actor names or key words to record off of.

I was wondering if there is a limit on the 622. Can you set 250 timers if you wanted. And also are you able to say put in 75 show timers and say 35 actor names to record?

cessna602 said:
Anyway...
I connected my USB compact flash reader to the front port and stuck a compact flash card in it from my digital camera. And to my amazement, the 622 recongnized it and asked me if I wanted to play. (I can't remember the exact wording). Of course I said yes. Through a nice interface, I could download the pictures in my 622 and set up a slide show (Way Cool!).

Here are some interesting noes...
  1. It will only read pictures from the root directory of the CF card (Or whatever USB device you use).
  2. It gives the collection of pictures a name, based on the date, but you can edit it the name.
  3. You can preview the pictures one at a time directly from the USB device
  4. You can manage pictures, as in delete or copy them to the 622, either individually, or selected in groups.
  5. You can set up a slide show of the pictures you copy to the 622 with automatic time or manual advance.
  6. You can delete the pictures from the 622 in groups or individually.
  7. I had one picture (it must be corrupt), that when I tried to view it, the 622 rebooted! :eek: I could reproduce this every time with this picture, no matter if the picture was in the 622 or on the USB device.

Great info! Can you move video from the 622 to the compact flash (or other USB device)? It would be an very cool feature if you could hook up network storage device to it and pull shows off.

kelton325 said:
Great info! Can you move video from the 622 to the compact flash (or other USB device)? It would be an very cool feature if you could hook up network storage device to it and pull shows off.
In a different thread, they guy says that it has the option to send video to a USB hard drive, but when you select the option, it says that it is not enabled yet.

Well I have had some time with the 622 now and it has worked very well esp. the OTA tuner. Although my 811 picked up everything just fine, the signal strength on the 622 is about 10-15% better.

The thing I do not like at all is the actual physical design. It looks very very bland and the access doors to the smart card and menu buttons are very flimsy IMO and look like they can break at any moment. The 811 had a more stylish look to it. Between the Harmon Kardon A/V receiver, sony dvd, sony VHS, sony CD caroussel and Monster PowerCenter, the 622 just looks like it came from KMart. It is my only gripe with the unit. At a price tag of $650-$800 they could have done a much better job.

I seem to be on the fence with the OTA locals. I have noticed a small increase in signal strength in most of my locals, but on by PBS local, I can't seem to get any signal at all. It was one of the strongest signals on my 811 (88-93%).
Anyone else having this problem?

Redwolf said:
"I dump a number of recordings out to a Panasonic DVR writer. While the 942 has been a great receiver, I have always hoped they would solve the output/aspect ratio problem and add a feature to select playback of multiple recordings and be able to priorities and schedule playback."

How do you do that? I thought Dish had disabled that capability. Thanks!

Scott Greczkowski said:
For the movies they have listed so far which are...

I think $4.99 for movies this old is not worth it, these should be 99 cent movies if not free. If Dish wants people to use their VOD service they need to hook them by showing how great it is and make some FREE movies available.

Dish giving anything away for free is a stretch it'll will never happen ;)

New 622 installation

I just called dish and leased the 622 for $299.00. I currently have an 811, 508 and two 301 receivers. I have two dishes mounted and pointing at 110, 119 and 61.5
Will I actually need an installer to come out and install this box? I plan on returning both 301 boxes.

Last edited:
I cheated?

I'm a *new* dish subscriber, dish quoted me 1 month for install... I called a local installer, he promised me he could install the 622 by wed or thurs or maybe sooner depending on the installer schedule... he said they've installed a few 622s allready and they were able to order quite a few so they have them in stock... so i'm not into it for much money, and i should have this DVR this week... i'll keep you all posted...

Broadband for service connection?

Does anyone know if Dish plans on enabling the ethernet port for the service connection?

I'm currently keeping SBC phone service active only for my old Replay DVR and my Dish receivers. I would love to dump SBC and use my broadband connection for this service. I also would prefer not to add another service such as Vonage if possible.

bigdaddy10 said:
I just called dish and leased the 622 for $299.00. I currently have an 811, 508 and two 301 receivers. I have two dishes mounted and pointing at 110, 119 and 61.5
Will I actually need an installer to come out and install this box? I plan on returning both 301 boxes.

I am not an expert at this but I noticed that you do not have a 921 or 942 which both require two feeds that are connected Dishes the dishes you have. The 622 requires two feeds also. You have the correct dishes to handle the 622 but its a question of the LNB's and the switches. I don't have the 622 yet and being the installer is coming on the 28th, the most time I will wait is a week to have it installed. I just want to make sure he doesn't screw anything up that is already working fine. I just looked at my set up. I connected the switches myself and the coax to my 921. From what I read the 622 will work from this existing set up.

I have a DishPro Dual LNBF on the Dish 500 that is pointing at 61.5. I have a DisPro Twin LNBF on the Dish 500 that is pointing at 110, 119. One coax goes from the DishPro Twin LNBF to one of the inputs of a DishPro 34 Switch. Two coaxes go form the DishPro Twin LNBF ( Dish 500 that is pointing at 110, 119), to the two other inputs of the DishPro 34 Switch.

In my case, I have a second DishPro 34 switch connected to the first one.

I have two of the outputs of one of the DishPro 34 switches going to the 921. I am going to put the 622 there and the 921 where my 501 and 811 are.

In your case it could be very simple if you have two of your receivers close to one another and you are substituting the 622 for the two of them. Just put the two existing coxes into the 622.

Last edited:
Ray S said:
I am not an expert at this but I noticed that you do not have a 921 or 942 which both require two feeds that are connected Dishes the dishes you have. The 622 requires two feeds also. You have the correct dishes to handle the 622 but its a question of the LNB's and the switches. I don't have the 622 yet and being the installer is coming on the 28th, the most time I will wait is a week to have it installed. I just want to make sure he doesn't screw anything up that is already working fine. I just looked at my set up. I connected the switches myself and the coax to my 921. From what I read the 622 will work from this existing set up.

I have a DishPro Dual LNBF on the Dish 500 that is pointing at 61.5. I have a DisPro Twin LNBF on the Dish 500 that is pointing at 110, 119. One coax goes from the DishPro Twin LNBF to one of the inputs of a DishPro 34 Switch. Two coaxes go form the DishPro Twin LNBF ( Dish 500 that is pointing at 110, 119), to the two other inputs of the DishPro 34 Switch.

In my case, I have a second DishPro 34 switch connected to the first one.

I have two of the outputs of one of the DishPro 34 switches going to the 921. I am going to put the 622 there and the 921 where my 501 and 811 are.

In your case it could be very simple if you have two of your receivers close to one another and you are substituting the 622 for the two of them. Just put the two existing coxes into the 622.

I have a newer home and all the wires meet up at the same exact place in my basement. I have them clearly marked as which wire goes to which room. I have two coax cables going to each room in my house. This should make it very easy for whoever comes out to hook it up. I don't believe I have the "Dish Pro Dual LNBF". I've had dish for 5 yrs and I doubt they were using that equipment at that time.

The only reason I got the 61.5 dish 2 years ago is so I could get 2 locals that they said I was entitled to. To my knowledge I don't believe I get anything else off of that dish but the Voom channels and the 2 locals. Since it cost me nothing I agreed to have it installed.

"I have a newer home and all the wires meet up at the same exact place in my basement. I have them clearly marked as which wire goes to which room. I have two coax cables going to each room in my house. This should make it very easy for whoever comes out to hook it up. I don't believe I have the "Dish Pro Dual LNBF". I've had dish for 5 yrs and I doubt they were using that equipment at that time.

The only reason I got the 61.5 dish 2 years ago is so I could get 2 locals that they said I was entitled to. To my knowledge I don't believe I get anything else off of that dish but the Voom channels and the 2 locals. Since it cost me nothing I agreed to have it installed."

I would say that if you are getting those channels in HD on your 811 (along with the SD channels), you are good to go. However the two coxes that go to that room will have to be used on the 622 or it will not work properly. As long as each coax is carrying all of the current channels there should be no problem. You have the two dishes and they are pointed at the correct satellites. When you do the switch check on the 811 does it show a strong signal for 110, 119 and 61.5? If it does then you should be good. BUT YOU NEED TWO COXES GOING INTO THE 622. I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THIS MORE!

Last edited:
navychop said:
Why not just have one coax and use a separator?

There is a specific splitter that lets you do this, but it only works with the DP44 and up switches, not a DP34 switch. With a DP34 switch, you'll need seperate RG6 cables coming from the switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)