FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

Larry it SHOULD work. At least thats what I am told. :)

Since you are doing now on the 942 I don't see why it wont with the 622.

Hooboy. The E* CSR nightmares continue.....

Okaayyyy. I wait until 2/1 like a good subscriber like I'm told to order the 622. I order it at 8am on 2/1 and get a 2/22 install date. Sigh, bye bye Olympics in HD, but OK.

I call up today to find out of they are shipping my receiver to me like everyone else seems to be getting. Surprise! They set up the install appointment but never actually ORDERED the 622 to be sent to me. (Even though they took my credit card info). Ah, but wait a box is on its way to me! It must be OK after all. I run the tracking number they give me and find out they will be delivering it to me today. Wow, this is good news. HD TONIGHT! The CSR had told me that I could call up and activate it myself after swapping receivers. That would then automatically cancel out the install date (yeah sure, but I'll go with you on this.....).

So I hang up and recheck the tracking link. Surprise! It's only 2 lbs. Sigh. It's the empty box to send back my old receiver.

I'm back on hold now trying to sort this mess out......... As of right now, they have basically reset my install clock, I'll update as details change.

CHECK THOSE ORDERS NOW!

Last edited:
Scott, there is a challenge - a question for you ( the 622 ) - could you connect it to your network and see if it will grab IP from your home DHCP service for start ?
Next step will be run Sniffer (Ethereal for example ) and gather all packets from/to the DVR.
This question never got answered

I have not hooked it up to my network yet, but I hope to soon (hopefully tonight)

I dont plan on running any packet sniffers though.

Geez, you scared me Bob! Mine does say 17lbs. Hope you get yours straightened out soon.

I called to move my install date up since I want my LNB's swapped out (currently have legacy), but 2/21 is the earliest date available right now for me. :( Guess I'll have to wait a few days.

OTA Antenna?

I got my 622 installed today and I love it. The only problem is I live in a valley and getting a good signal from my local channels is hard. What is the best antenna to receive OTA HDTV channels?
Thanks,

OK. CSR Roulette strikes again, but in a good way.

I just had the single best experience with an E* CSR that I've had to date. Patrick G. from the Pine Brook, NJ office got on the line with me, patiently explained what they had done wrong, what the computers were "making" them do as far as three week out install dates and 7-10 day lead times for the 622s themselves to ship. He bounced back and forth to the executive office to try and fix the situation, coming back occasionally to check in with me and apologize for the time I was waiting.

After 30 minutes of back and forth, we have it all worked out. They rebuilt the work order from the ground up and set the install date for 3/9 (boo). Since I will be doing a self install as I don't need any switch or cable upgrades, they said I could activate the box the day I receive it and they would cancel the install date (yay).

I still have to wait 7-10 more days for the 622 to ship, but at least it got fixed.

Patrick G. was a breath of fresh air though. Straight answers, the perfect tone in dealing with me (apologetic for my headaches to date, eager to fix the situation, and capable to make right that which went horribly wrong the first several times with the other 4 CSRs I've dealt with up to that point).

He ran through all the legalese, got my credit card info (although they told me that it would be billed to my account since my purchase level (>$200 month) entitled me to their top offers and accomodations, they still were gonna hit me with the $1 hold). I asked him about the implications if I did some potential downgrades in the future as we may be doing some major renovations in a year or two, and may have to move to an apartment during the construction phase. He suggested that I go down to the lowest package, but NOT the vacation mode so I didn't risk losing my distant networks (extra credit!). He explained the risks of me doing a self install (if I run any wires and screw them up to the point that I need a service call, it is on me - fair enough). I just made sure that the receiver was still covered under warranty for hardware failures. He said yes. He then wrapped everything up by thanking me for my patience and asked me if there was anything else he could do for me. I had him check my father's install date, and everything with his setup was still on track and the work order was fine. I said thanks to him again, got his name and location and hung up.

To top it off, they called me AFTER I had hung up since he had remembered that I had wanted to ship the box to my office instead of my front porch to be rained on or stolen. I gave him my office address, and all is well.

THIS guy basically got me to accept an install date three weeks further out, softened it by saying I could install the box myself in 1-2 weeks after I received it, and calmed me down by saying the right things just the right way.

Charlie, get this guy to teach classes on how to perform customer service properly. He asked me all the questions on his screen as he was supposed to, but quickly changed gears when he realized that they didn't apply to me, and always left me with the impression he was on top of things.

I'm a little cranky about the added delay, but it was obvious it was the best I was going to achieve. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
mountnbykr said:
Are all of the 622's being directly shipped to the customer? That's what I was originally told when they rescheduled my install from 2/11 to 2/25. However, I've called tech support 4 times in the last two days to try and get a shipping status and 3 of the 4 techs say that the installer will bring it directly, and that's after they checked with their supervisor each time. I just want to make sure the installer doesn't come out on the 25th expecting me to already have the receiver if they aren't shipping it to me. I suspect it would take forever to get one if they had to fix that mistake.

I called today to get a tracking number and was told by a CSR [tech support tier] that the "equipment" would be coming with the installer on the scheduled date [Feb 25]. She "confirmed" on the work order.

We shall see. I don't expect it to run smoothly, but I'm not gonna get too excited over it either way.

I was shocked to see a box today on my patio as E* always told me that the installer would come out with the 622. Well seeing as I already had it why not install it myself!!! Its a PITA to get behind my HE Center so I did it on my own, hooked everything up, ran check switch, add OTA Locals and I am smiling from ear to ear as I start putting the center back together.

Call Dish, go to HD Tech Support to activate my receiver...and they say NOPE, can't activate that receiver until it is "professionally installed". Call back do the same prompts, same answer. At this point I am BOILING!!! It takes me over an hour just to gain access to all the wiring!

Decide to call a regulat ol' CSR in whatever country their call centers are. She doesn't give me as much of a hard time but says I need a D1000 to get the new HD channels, and that the D1000 is on the work order. I say no I am A OK as I have a SD121 and 61.5 so I get everything I even tell her I see them in the guide but she still keeps beating the D1000 drum.

After back and forth Q&A session she cancels the work order and activates the receiver! YES!!! Finally the idiot CSR works in my favor!

April deal

Scott Greczkowski said:
I would lease one for $99 when they are available in April, you can't go wrong with that deal no matter how lousy the HD programming is. :)

Scott - will the deal in April apply only to current 921/942 customers? I have an 811, so if there is no better deal for me in April I guess I'll make the leap soon....

Techie question: what cable do I need for using the HDMI input on my new tv? Is it an HDMI to HDMI?

(I'm new to this game).

From Scott's pictures the Digital output looks like the HDMI input on my set.

Thanks, guys!

LER

I was able to download pictures to the 622 via usb

I usually just read all the interesting tidbits here but, to my surprise my 622 arrived yesterday and of course I had to play with it right away. Since I havn't heard anybody talking about the USB, I figured it was my turn to contribute.

The CSR would not activate my 622until my "scheduled" install to get a Dish 1000 and DPP (I have a Dish 500 with really old "legacy" switches). But that's another story. After I popped the top and poked around inside, i buttoned it back up and. hooked the 622 up, connecting both tuners to my "legacy" stuff. After the check switch, it updated it's software (10 minutes) and told me my receiver was not authorized. I did a sysinfo and menu so could see coulple of channels (100,101, nasa, etc).

Anyway...
I connected my USB compact flash reader to the front port and stuck a compact flash card in it from my digital camera. And to my amazement, the 622 recongnized it and asked me if I wanted to play. (I can't remember the exact wording). Of course I said yes. Through a nice interface, I could download the pictures in my 622 and set up a slide show (Way Cool!).

Here are some interesting noes...
  1. It will only read pictures from the root directory of the CF card (Or whatever USB device you use).
  2. It gives the collection of pictures a name, based on the date, but you can edit it the name.
  3. You can preview the pictures one at a time directly from the USB device
  4. You can manage pictures, as in delete or copy them to the 622, either individually, or selected in groups.
  5. You can set up a slide show of the pictures you copy to the 622 with automatic time or manual advance.
  6. You can delete the pictures from the 622 in groups or individually.
  7. I had one picture (it must be corrupt), that when I tried to view it, the 622 rebooted! :eek: I could reproduce this every time with this picture, no matter if the picture was in the 622 or on the USB device.

Last edited:
cessna602 said:
I connected my USB compact flash reader to the front port and stuck a compact flash card in it from my digital camera. And to my amazement, the 622 recongnized it and asked me if I wanted to play. (I can't remember the exact wording). Of course I said yes. Through a nice interface, I could download the pictures in my 622 and set up a slide show (Way Cool!).

I wish it would show the pictures in full resolution, but it seems to down res all of them which is silly to make the quality less then HD when your viewing the photos on a HDTV. But it is a neat feature. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)