FIRST LOOK: Dish ViP722 Receiver!

I predict that Dish will enable external drives on the 722 but not for the 622. It just seems like something they would do.

Still one OTA tuner, same everything else.
This is huge disappointment. When I first saw the headlines of the 722, I had hoped they would address the single OTA tuner limitation and add a larger hard drive amongst a few other things. Who cares about VOD. They should have called this receiver the 622.01 .

I'm waiting for a dual HD output receiver. Seems like that wouldn't be too difficult. I'm tired of having to watch SD on my other HD set.

No can do. The second output over coax would not be "protected" and could be recorded and spread around. They'd have to make the second output HDMI, or encrypt it over coax, requiring a second box at the second TV.

PDF FILE said:
FEATURES, continued
Optional TV1/TV2 stereo Agile
modulated output sends TV1 and TV2’s
signals to multiple televisions via the
home coaxial cable distribution5.

PDF FILE said:
TV1/TV2 AGILE MODULATOR
Like the ViP622 DVR, the ViP722 DVR
receiver has a TV1/TV2 Agile modulated
output so viewers at the distant
location(s) can choose between two
modulated channels to view either TV1
or TV2 programming. While in Dual
Mode, these distant viewers can tune to
either television channel to watch TV1’s
programming or TV2’s programming.
is this a new feature?

does the 622 allow TV1 and TV2 to be distributed over existing Coax on different channels (Like TV1-60 & TV2-65) or is this a new feature?

I'll just add to the chorus..

Im pleased with my 622 with the exception of the size of the hard drive. 30 hours of HD is quite a bit but I dont watch 8 hrs of TV every day. So there have been times when I had to decide to erase something I hadnt watched yet for lack of space. If this new recorder doesnt have more storage space then whats the point?

...If this new recorder doesnt have more storage space then whats the point?
It's black. :) And I imagine that to fix the HDMI connector, they had to change the layout of the system board, so they gave it a new number to avoid confusion in the logistics department.

How about the SD up converting feature?

I believe it does that now, when you select the output to "720p or 1080i etc" that is the output regardless of what you are watching.

I'm waiting for a dual HD output receiver.

We asked at about this at the last team summit. The problem is HD encoders for coax output are only used commercially, they run like a 1/2 million or so. What can be done is component out for tv2. There are a number of companies making a component w/audio to Cat 5 converter. So you run Cat 5 from receiver to tv2 with a converter at each end.

does the 622 allow TV1 and TV2 to be distributed over existing Coax on different channels (Like TV1-60 & TV2-65) or is this a new feature?

Yes the 622 does that.

Still one OTA tuner, same everything else.

Ya that would be nice but I don't see the big deal, 3 tuners all together is nice. How many tuners do you really need?

Reading the customer reviews over on the NewEgg website, the 500GB drives seem to have a higher failure rate than the 320GB drives. Add that to the fact that we don't even get to use the added space and that sounds like a NO to me.

Let's have external drive support first!

Ya that would be nice but I don't see the big deal, 3 tuners all together is nice. How many tuners do you really need?

Remember this is America. And we Americans always want more than we need. They could add the 3 OTA tuners and it still wouldnt be enough to satisfy our insatiable demands. :D

Other than the lack of external storage on the 622, I'm entirely pleased with it. I see no "compelling" reason to go to the 722. VOD (HD or SD) is a non-issue for me...Dish charges way too much for what they're offering and what they offer is generally not of much interest to me.

I don't care if it's black or silver, no difference to me. I just want external storage enabled on the 622...

First it was the 921 and "DishWire" and "NBR", so I went to a 622 for MPG4 and NBR and have been told that it would get external storage.

If Dish fails to come through with external storage, I'll be saying "No sale" unless they provide an incredible offer to upgrade (as in free).

When I first read bigger hard drive, I got excited. But 30 hours of HD is 30 hours, just what I have now. And I too don't care about VOD. I don't think I'll be an early adopter on this one. I certainly am not going to pay $300 for the privilege of dishing it up like I did on the 622. :(

Maybe in a year though, since by then my 622 will be 2 years old, and will probably need to be retired anyway. :D

Yea i hear ya. I won't be upgrading just yet either. Unless dish comes back AGAIN and say well if you don't upgrade you wont get the new HD channels.
</IMG></IMG>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts