FIRST LOOK - Logitech Revue GoogleTV Device

I have just submitted my review of the Revue to SatelliteGuys staff for them to elf (edit) it. :)

In just reading it over before submitting it to staff I do believe that it is a very honest and fair review of the Revue.

Stay Tuned!

I haven't seen that yet... but I haven't watched any action content on it. Mostly Mythbusters, How Its Made, Dirty Jobs...

Gonna check out some action tonight.

My Speedtest.net results are comparable (actually even better) to yours. However, I still can't play HD content without stuttering or get the Amazon app to recognize that I have decent speeds. Can you try those things on your end? Go into the Amazon app and pick a non-HD show. You don't need to buy it -- just preview one. Please report back on the picture quality and note at the bottom right of the video what Amazon reports as your connectivity and video quality. As for HD content, go to NBC.com and pick a recent show. I used Community. It will initially start streaming in SD. Manually switch over to HD and then check whether you are able to watch without constant stuttering. I'd love to know whether (1) there is merely a problem on my end (2) whether decent streaming quality is even possible on the GTV over wireless or (3) whether these are software issues relating to the Amazon app, etc. (this last possibility seems the most likely given the Speedtest results I get in the Chrome browser).

Thanks.
I watched a preview of Sons of Anarchy on Amazon in HD for the full 2 minutes as indicated by the blue HD in lower right corner. I tried another episode of Chase on NBC. Lots of stutter in HD but fine in SD. And I remember that was the case yesterday. I also was able to watch part of a Blue Bloods episode on CBS in HD. It did drop to SD once or twice but came right back to HD and there was no interruption or frame drops as on NBC. So, Amazon - HD all the way, CBS mostly HD with no frame drops only CBS auto SD/HD thingie dropping to SD momentarily with no apparent image problems and NBC no HD, good on SD. I also had the problems on NBC on this computer which is wired to my network. So that tells me maybe it's not a wireless issue.

Last edited:
I watched a preview of Sons of Anarchy on Amazon in HD for the full 2 minutes as indicated by the blue HD in lower right corner. I tried another episode of Chase on NBC. Lots of stutter in HD but fine in SD. And I remember that was the case yesterday. I also was able to watch part of a Blue Bloods episode on CBS in HD. It did drop to SD once or twice but came right back to HD and there was no interruption or frame drops as on NBC. So, Amazon - HD all the way, CBS mostly HD with no frame drops only CBS auto SD/HD thingie dropping to SD momentarily with no apparent image problems and NBC no HD, good on SD. I also had the problems on NBC on this computer which is wired to my network. So that tells me maybe it's not a wireless issue.

Thanks so much for the reply. Mostly what you have to say is encouraging, since I haven't tried HD with some of those sources. I'm a bit concerned however about Amazon. Despite my Speedtest results, Amazon won't send anything but the lowest quality content to me.

I would think it would once the android store is available and you can download the Skype App. At release I think the only video conferencing app is the one by logitech.

Hopefully when and if they release the Skype app it will play nice with my Microsoft Lifecam Cinema. Even though it's a Logitech box.

Last edited:
I can verify that my revue can see my Playon Server and all the content on it, but it cannot actually play any of the content.

With no resolution to my spots issue in sight, im leaning towards sending it back, not sure im going to reorder right away. It's scratched the itch, and with Kinect and other stuff coming out I may get a little more for my money elsewhere in the short term.

Going to give Logitech a call this week or shoot them an email tonight and see if there's anything they can do before printing a slip and sending it back to Amazon as defective.

re: the DLNA conversation above, using Twonky I am able to play all sorts of xvid files i've got on my PC. I am not able to get Windows 7 to see it as a DLNA server like my 360 and Denon and give it permission to pluck things from my HDD.

With no resolution to my spots issue in sight, im leaning towards sending it back, not sure im going to reorder right away. It's scratched the itch, and with Kinect and other stuff coming out I may get a little more for my money elsewhere in the short term.

Going to give Logitech a call this week or shoot them an email tonight and see if there's anything they can do before printing a slip and sending it back to Amazon as defective.

re: the DLNA conversation above, using Twonky I am able to play all sorts of xvid files i've got on my PC. I am not able to get Windows 7 to see it as a DLNA server like my 360 and Denon and give it permission to pluck things from my HDD.
I would give Amazon a call. I had an Onkyo HTB that worked for a few days and then started having audio drops. Onkyo was no help. Amazon offered to replace it or take it back. I had thrown the original packaging away after it worked a few days. The CSR checked with his supervisor and then told me to pack it real good and if there were no shipping damage on arrival the would refund my money. I did and they did.

I am using my Logitech Revue with my 922. Is seems to be working fine, obviously without the DVR integration. The problem begins when I shut everything off. When I power it all back on, I get everything except video from the 922. I can see the guide, info, and DVR screen. I can watch web video. I have to press the red reset button on the 922 to get the video back. Anybody having the same or similar issues?

thanks,
-elbo

I am using my Logitech Revue with my 922. Is seems to be working fine, obviously without the DVR integration. The problem begins when I shut everything off. When I power it all back on, I get everything except video from the 922. I can see the guide, info, and DVR screen. I can watch web video. I have to press the red reset button on the 922 to get the video back. Anybody having the same or similar issues?

thanks

elbo

Can this be a problem with the 922 and that is why dish never downloaded the integration and never will because of the hardware problem?

For anyone here has better knowledge of how Google TV works than I do, maybe you could answer this question for me. As a League Pass subscriber I can watch the games on the NBA All-Access broadband site and they usually have HD feeds of games. If you have the Google TV device hooked up to your Dish Network receiver couldn't you just pull up the All-Access page and watch the games in HD directly from the website? This might be my only way to watch the games in HD due to the ongoing Fox/Dish debacle.

thanks,
-elbo
I've not had that problem with my 922+Revue. The bedroom 622 has had this happen occasionally for the last couple of months, maybe longer.

Brent I don't watch Basketball, so I don't know the answer. But if you like contact me via PM and I could try testing it for you.

It's more likely that it's because the underpinnings of the 922's OS are completely different from whatever the 722k, 622, and 622k run. The hooks still need to be put in for the Revue to tie into. And since they were already busy getting the 922 to be more reliable, stable, and feature complete with S109, they decided to get that out first instead of making us wait longer by adding GoogleTV integration into that update in time for the Revue release.

There shouldn't be any hardware reason why the 922 wouldn't work with GoogleTV and the calls to the 922 asking for DVR data should have a minimal impact on it's performance. It works with Remote Access and GoogleTV is asking for the exact same information as the website is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts