FIRST LOOK - Logitech Revue GoogleTV Device

I haven't honestly tried, and thats for 2 reasons.

1) All of my media files that I have with multichannel sound are in ISO format, the Revue does not play .ISO files. (Again looking for a program that can convert .ISO to MKV easily and with no real loss of quality and keep things like 5.1 audio) I do have one Bluray that I ripped to MKV which is Video Essentials, and at the moment the Revue can not play that MKV file.

2) I am testing this in my bedroom as thats where the 722k is, that is the receiver DISH authorized for the Revue.. review. I do not have a surround sound system in my bedroom. Howver with that said this weekend if I get a chance (and if I find some multichannel media files which play on the Revue) then I will move the review down into my theater and test it from there.

Dish never took pre-orders - I think a few of us accidentally backed into it (a big giant assumption that they honor it). I called soon after it was announced and the CSR actually billed my credit card and told me it would be shipping out. Just as we were nearing completion she must have discovered they the boxes were not yet available. Because they took my money, I got a call later from someone apologizing and told me they would ship one out when they were ready - he indicated possibly the 21st but couldn't commit. He did say I should get an email notification when it ships or one if there is an issue. I think similar circumstances may have happened to other people as well. I haven't heard anything further - fingers crossed that I get a good news email tomorrow.

That is correct -- it is exactly what happened to me. Haven't received any e-mail confirmation of shipping yet, though. Will do so as soon as I hear something.

I know many of you aren't impressed by GTV, but I haven't waited this anxiously for a tech product since perhaps iPhone v.1. As soon as it arrives, I'm selling one of my souped-up/hacked Apple TVs and, if GTV is everything I hope it to be, will buy another one and sell my second Apple TV shortly thereafter.

Probably the main thing that is driving me to want this box so badly is having dealt with so much frustration trying to use Boxee on the Apple TV for the past year or so. Boxee is great for certain things, but it also is a huge tease in terms of watching a broad range of internet content. For example, Hulu support is really hit or miss. Sometimes it will work great, while at other times the show will freeze within seconds, the audio will be off, etc. Even streaming media that should work (e.g. the TWiT network) often is problematic.

At least the Sony specs I saw on-line state HDMI audio input is 2 channel. The optical out is to handle the DTS, etc on DVDs I suppose. The Logitech site is lousy as far as details.

Scott: Can you answer one question for me? Once the Google TV is hooked up via the pass-thru and the Dish integration has been activated, can you still use the Dish remote to change channels, etc. -- i.e. can the Google TV functions essentially be ignored if you don't want to use them.

The reason that I ask is that I'm hesitant about adding another layer of difficulty to my home entertainment system for my parents and babysitters to complain about. The answer to this question will go a long way in determining which room I use GTV in.

Thanks.

davpel - that is a great question. I would hope that if you don't want to use the GTV at times aspect you can continue to use the Dish receiver/remote as normal. The Dish remote is great in that it controls all my other components (TV and AV receiver).

Scott: Does this thing do Skype? Of course, you would have to have the camera.

--Doug

I would think it would once the android store is available and you can download the Skype App. At release I think the only video conferencing app is the one by logitech.

Please, forgive my ignorance, but in a nut shell what is this box supposed to do?

Last edited:
I've got a weird situation that others may have as well..... I have an old 2001 era Integra 9.1 receiver (140 watts per 7 channels) and I've been resisting replacing it. It uses TOSLink to receive all my Dolby Digital/DTS compressed signals (Lossless not available back then). There are NO HDMI connections on it. I only use the HDMI for video, and I have an OPPO HDMI switcher to send 3 different feeds to my projector which is mounted on my ceiling. Bottom Line, only video passes through my HDMI cables as I split off the audio another way. Now I know that the Logitech requires an HDMI connection, but does the unit enable me to send the audio via either a TOSLink or Component Audio (the orange RCA female jack on my receiver) connection, or even a composite audio feed in a pinch? I love this device, but I am wondering if it will be video only for me as I don't want to upgrade my receiver yet (the economy has decimated my discretionary spending capability as I've had to choke down a 50% paycut and I am down to essentials right now).

Anyone know?

Thats why they put the TOSLINK on the back Bob. :)

You hook your satellite receiver to the Revue by HDMI and then HDMI from your Revue to your TV. You can then run a digital audio cable to your AV system and your all set. :)

"You can then run a digital audio cable to your AV system and your all set". :)

from the revues digital out or dish out? right now my dish receiver has HDMI out to TV for video (or sound if I want to) and digital out to Bose 3-2-1 system (Normal operation). Where will sound originate from?

The sounds comes to the Revue over the HDMI from the DISH receiver. It is then sent out to both HDMI to the TV and through the Digital Audio jack.

Scott: Can you answer one question for me? Once the Google TV is hooked up via the pass-thru and the Dish integration has been activated, can you still use the Dish remote to change channels, etc. -- i.e. can the Google TV functions essentially be ignored if you don't want to use them.

The reason that I ask is that I'm hesitant about adding another layer of difficulty to my home entertainment system for my parents and babysitters to complain about. The answer to this question will go a long way in determining which room I use GTV in.

Thanks.

I was just on the Dish Web Site: GoogleTV - DISH Network

This is what they have to say about your question:

"Seamless Transition between DISH Network and Google TV:
Use the Logitech Revue Keyboard Controller for Google TV and all DISH Network functionality. When only using DISH features, continue to use the DISH remote control just as you do today."

That sounds good, because not having the option for the basic remote control would be an issue for me also.

If you are a DISH customer then you can go to any DISH retailer and get it at cheaper price. They said it will be available in late October but don't know exact date.

Maybe some people like me, would cancel dish or other provider to get just goggle TV Internet. I think that would be much better if I knew would get all the channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts