FIRST LOOK - Logitech Revue GoogleTV Device

Yes any GoogleTV will function with the DISH Network boxes. DISH just happens to be a partner with Logitech which is why DISH is pushing their boxes.

Just spoke to a CSR from Dish who indicated that there is a delay on the orders and that they won't be shipping any Google TVs until 10/28 at the earliest. Figures. They are already on the shelf in Best Buy and Amazon has them shipping today, but of course Dish can't get their act together and get them out the door on time. Why did I even think it was a possibility?
I stopped in a local Best Buy this morning and was told they expect the Revue to be on their shelves on the 26th. They will take your money today and that will reserve one.

I stopped in a local Best Buy this morning and was told they expect the Revue to be on their shelves on the 26th. They will take your money today and that will reserve one.

It is in stock at some Best Buy locations.

As of last night a handful of unboxings, and some videos of the setup process available on youtube.

I'll take some pics and post impressions myself over the weekend, note im not a dish sub though, so nothing on integration (though that means i could provide a review of his it works with my D* receiver and it should be the same for you non-integrated folks)

I tried the google box at best buy and was very unimpressed. I was told that the box does not do 5.1 surround. It download 5.1 to 2.1.

When I played with it I came away with the impression that is just a big google search engine for your tv.

No apps on this box and the Netflix and amazon interface looked a lot like Roku.

Scott I would like your review of this box, are their more apps that need to be downloaded?

got an e-mail just a moment ago from Logitech saying the Revue is now available. Same account I told dish to e-mail me about so I'm not sure if it's just logitech or dish told logitech to send it. No big hurry.

Scott I would like your review of this box, are their more apps that need to be downloaded?
The Sony and Logitech have different apps and screens. What you see on a Sony might not be on a Logitech.

Next year you will be able to download apps from the Google App Store, but at the moment, whats on there now is whats on there... for now... :)

I called Dish & the CSR told me that it will be available on Oct 28.

Scott - Is it possible to get this box at the special price from a Dish Network retailer?

I tried the google box at best buy and was very unimpressed. I was told that the box does not do 5.1 surround. It download 5.1 to 2.1.

When I played with it I came away with the impression that is just a big google search engine for your tv.

No apps on this box and the Netflix and amazon interface looked a lot like Roku.

I don't understand how that can be a bad thing. Doing searches, even on my 922, is just clunky and unintuitive. Search the guide and DISHOnline, oh ya and the whole freaking Internet! THAT'S what I want. (Was this the Sony unit you were looking at?)

Just found this on the Logitech Revue Forum in response to several posts regarding the audio stream in and out of Revue:

Revue can receive either PCM Stereo or AC3 5.1 from an HDMI input source. Assuming Revue is connected to an AVR and the AVR is configured correctly (this changes from brand to brand), Revue, can output following audio formats.

HDMI HDMI
(PCM/AC-3 5.1) Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and PCM 7.1/5.1 are output

HDMI SPDIF
(PCM/AC-3 5.1)Source Device ----> Revue ----> AVR - Either PCM Stereo and AC-3 5.1 are output
Revue always mixes incoming audio with internal audio sounds, even in cases where you are using a supported audio modes (see above), Revue will never pass the Audio as is (untouched) to the AVR.
Regards,
Omar

And since I want one on my 922 and one on my 622 I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Amazon. It will be here tomorrow and I'll get it on my 922 Sat morning. Maybe. As I typed this I remembered I'll be finishing up a brisket and other goodies for a family gathering Sat afternoon so maybe Sunday morning. We'll see.

Last edited:
I don't understand how that can be a bad thing. Doing searches, even on my 922, is just clunky and unintuitive. Search the guide and DISHOnline, oh ya and the whole freaking Internet! THAT'S what I want. (Was this the Sony unit you were looking at?)

Really? What's clunky and unintuitive about typing in what you want and it popping up on the the screen. It searches your hard drive (internal and external), the guide, VOD and Dishonline (or any of those that you specifically select). I actually think that is something that works great on the 922...

It was both. To be fair the logtic revue box was on a display with 5 buttons so the set up may have blocked the other functions and I needed to press the right button. The unit itself could be a demo unit without the full integration of the box. The best buy store I went to told me they will not have stock until 10/28/10, they only had the display model.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)