First Look: The New Weather Channel Interactive

dhageremtp said:
It would be nice if they can scroll the local weather warnings/watches even when watching another channel, or if not scroll them, then put up a different icon or banner. It would be very helpful in Tornado Land!

yes that would be a smart thing to do, espically for those who don't have local channels to turn to if a tornado were to be in their area. I'd even pay a higher monthly bill to have that, more of a piece of mind deal.

Pardon me, I am just a humble long-time customer of Dish Network and their nefarious upgrades (the Movies on Demand upgrade that makes my DVR harder to use, with extra buttons to be pressed to acess DVR recordings and a service not many people would use, I iamagine, that wastes hard drive time storing movies I must pay extra for. I always thought the 6 dollar fee was for the "privelege" of storing programming for free - it's certainly not for Name Based Recording... but with movies on Demand I now have to pay 6 dollars AND a movie fee for wasting my hard drive space...). I'm sorry..I digress. But THIS is why I want to know what ELSE is being added in this upgrade that is being prompted to me to download. I enable ASK BEFORE DOWNLOADING after the Movies on Deman upgrade, so please, Scott, is this upgrade this morning for the Weather Channel stuff AND is there any other silly things hidden in it? I don't mind the Weather Channel stuff (though I was fine with the other interactive feature), though I'm not a fan of fortune telling or sorcery (weather forecasting). I just want to know what else is in this upgrade. Thanks alot.

mattardo, you can't choose which "features" Dish wants to add, so you might as well learn to accept it and live with it .... or cancel your service. If there's "any other silly things hidden in it", no one here knows or will/can say.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes some folks do.

Of course they are testers.
I suspect that they can simply enable this feature "per receiver". All, or most, of our receivers likely have the software that will function with this. It would be foolish for Dish to push a software update to ALL "interactive receivers" just to enable this feature. What if something goes wrong with the push ??

hall said:
An even better idea is a weather radio.... especially if one lives in "Tornado Land".

I dont worry about myself....I am an emergency manager, I have a NOAA Weather Radio, and pagers, and cell phones....I worry about those that dont (Afterall, that is my job)! Just like its a bad idea to not have a landline phone, how many people do you know that only have cellular or PCS?

I have always thought of this as a drawback to dish or direct.

There's a reason there's an option for Ask Permission First. Not all of us want upgrades to our receivers, especially if they don't enhance what we use them for. I don't use pay-per-view. I don't use "Movies on Demand". I DO use my DVR. I don't even watch live tv anymore. My girlfriend does, but that's besides the point. I don't think it's unreasonable to screen my receiever for upgrades that are applied to it. I have that option. For many people who automate their home theater settings using macros and remotes, etc.. the last upgrade was a pain (having to reprogram to account for an extra step can be a timeconsuming process for those of us who do such things). I merely want to know what I'm getting into. If I dumped Dish because some of their features are "silly" and borderline scam-artistry, I would have done so years ago. This weather app could possibly be useful, but I live in Florida where the weather changes in minutes. Weather forecasting down here is useless.

Fine, have the option to accept or reject a software update. It will do most people no good though because they might want one or two of the features in the latest release but don't want three or four of the others. You can't pick and choose which parts of the update you want... Of course, some people will want that option too! :(

New Weather Channel

This is going to be great for me. I do not have any way of getting local weather or radar and this will allow me to have this.

Thanks Dish and hurry up and get it working.

Hall, that's exactly why I would like to know details (if and when they are available): because I can't pick and choose the upgrade details. I can choose the upgrades, and I have to settle for that, I suppose. But if it comes with negative "upgrades", well, no thanks. I went into the last upgrade uninformed. I will not do that again. If I could roll back that upgrade, I'd do it in a second. I guess I feel that if I pay extreme loads of money a month, I should have a few options available to me. I don't think that I am alone in this view...

off the subject a little

i agree, everyone should have a choice, but not only in this subject, everyday
the freedom of choice in this country gets fewer and fewer, the sad part is that's
what i thought i was fighting for,and that was what i thought this country was all about. just my little 2 cents worth.

cobra2225 said:
i agree, everyone should have a choice, but not only in this subject, everyday the freedom of choice in this country gets fewer and fewer,
You do have a choice: The choice to go with another provider.
the sad part is that's what i thought i was fighting for,and that was what i thought this country was all about.
You're joking, right ?? That was a funny one !! :D

nope

hall said:
You do have a choice: The choice to go with another provider.
You're joking, right ?? That was a funny one !! :D
not a veterian hu.
do you see a smiley face, i said this was my 2 cents worth,now i'm ready to get back to the tread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)