First Look: The New Weather Channel Interactive

I am curious if this is causing some sort of DVR function problem on the 522 receiver. I have been having problems with fast forward and skip ahead as it does not want to do it at the correct speed and will go back to the start of the program instead of continuing in the middle of the show. I dont know if this feature would cause this issue but I have noticed it since TWC Interactive came out on that receiver. Has anybody else seen any issues with their receivers that got TWC Interactive?

I decided to e-mail Dish about the weather channel just to see what they would send back. Here is what I got:

Thank you for your e-mail. This feature is being phased in slowly and we don't have information available as to when it will be available to you, but you will receive it soon.

"phased in slowly" = 25% last week & the other 75% next week after Christmas 2007;)

I decided to e-mail Dish about the weather channel just to see what they would send back. Here is what I got:

Thank you for your e-mail. This feature is being phased in slowly and we don't have information available as to when it will be available to you, but you will receive it soon.

"phased in slowly" = 25% last week & the other 75% next week after Christmas 2007;)

They told me 2-3 weeks for the remaining 75%.What I'm wanting to know about is the local on the 8's on channel 214.

2 of the 4 receivers at my house are getting this feature via channel 100 ONLY.
The receivers now getting it here are my:
>4900 (upgrade from 4700 software)
>811
No local weather yet (except for the old stuff) are:
DP-301
ViP 211

Works very good except I wish the radar screen was bigger and there was more detail to the weather like on cable. I wish the radar was looped as well meaning showing movement for the last couple of hours. Here we have a current stationary picture. It will also be real nice once we get it on channel 214. That is coming soon. There will be a prompt to select it when it is time for locals on the 8's but I think you will still see the national thing in the background. If you don't hit select when prompted, you will be looking at the current national thing only.

In a way this is even better than my local cable system. Here the system covers 3 counties and the weather can be a bit different at my location than what the locals talk about. The difference in elevations here, Catskill Mtns vs. Hudson Valley can be up to 3000 feet above sea level. The local weather on cable is geared to the more populated Hudson Valley. I am in the Catskills. In the winter that can mean the difference between rain and snow and a difference in temperature difference from 0 to 30 degrees! Thats a big difference. Now I really do get the real local weather for my location!

Its nice to see we are moving right along into the 21st century. Remember to catch the tech forum chat on 11/13. We will all learn alot more then.

Well I just got an email back from the tech forum regarding local on the 8's.They told me they didn't know when this high definition feature will happen.I didn't think this had anything to do with hd but it probebly means it won't be discussed tomorrow night.

From what I was told tonight is that 25% of the receivers have gotten the TWC feature. That the other half should get theirs by the middle of next week so I would say between next Wensday and Friday.

Learn what ?? It's nothing different than the forum questions, answers, speculation, etc that goes on here....

This may be correct after hearing that RSN's in HD will be coming very soon back in August and still nothing except that they have been uplinked.
I am sure the local weather feature will be talked about nevertheless.

Question... What is local on the 8's. I searched and could find nothing on this.

Local on the 8's is what you will see on 214.During local on the 8's you will see a banner.You mash select and get the slideshow like the cable one shows.This isn't the same thing as the new weather channel interactive on 100.The one on 100 is similar to instant weather but looks better with the weather channel in the background and show radar unlike the instant weather one.

For those who have this service, is the forecast just a graphic forecast (i.e. picture of a sun/cloud with a high and low)? Or is it a text forecast (i.e. "Partly cloudy today with a 30% chance of showers. Highs will reach the mid 50s")?

For those who have this service, is the forecast just a graphic forecast (i.e. picture of a sun/cloud with a high and low)? Or is it a text forecast (i.e. "Partly cloudy today with a 30% chance of showers. Highs will reach the mid 50s")?

The fortcast shows graphics and the expected temperature.Also if your watching during the day you only get the fortcast for today and tonight.If you want to see beyond that you have to go to the 5 day.

Last edited:
The locals on the 8's is the anticipated rollout that everybody has been waiting for, not what they are rolling out to 25% of the receivers now because that does not give that much of an advantage over the interactive weather we have seen all along.

Well I just got an email back from the tech forum regarding local on the 8's.They told me they didn't know when this high definition feature will happen.I didn't think this had anything to do with hd but it probebly means it won't be discussed tomorrow night.

This has nothing to do with HD.

To see if your receiver(s) have it, go to Dish Home (Channel 100). Select 2 then select 5. If you have it, you will then see it. If not, you will get a message that it is not available for you yet.

Check all of your receivers individually. Here 2 of my 4 receivers get it.

The issue is not just the app being available on Channel 100, but the "supposed"/Promised ability to get a pop-up on Channel 214 when the "Local-on-the-8's" runs.

Both my 622, and at least one of the 721's has the app on Channel 100, but neither of them, to the best of my knowledge, do anything special when local-on-the-8's happens.

I'd like to see the local-on-the-8's stuff, but I'm not sure if that requires new receiver software or is just a data stream change.

bacchus101

You shall receive The Weather Channel interactive at:

Sunday, November 12th at exactly 5:23:41 PM EDT​

Anything else?

Thank you bacchus101. Finally someone who knows what's happening. However you missed it by 30 minutes. I didn't receive it until 5:53 but thanks anyway. Because of you I knew it was coming so I waited it out. Thanks again.
To Jeff003 also thanks for a helpful answer. A helpful answer is a rarity on this forum.
To lakebum34l: lakebum. Perfect name. Especially the "bum" part. Typical post from someone in Georgia that doesn't understand satire. SATIRE. Go to your public library and ask soneone to look it up and read the definition to you. Have it translated from "red neck" to English.